Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old January 12th, 2009, 07:40 PM

Red face Hello!

Hello to all! My name is Angie and my boyfriend and I recently adopted a Chihuahua mix named Gizmo from our local Humane Society. I also have a chihuahua named Shenzi and cat named Zazu. I've been waiting to find another dog before Gizmo to be a companion for both my others, since Shenzi is only 4 pounds and Zazu is 14. I figured something in between sizes would be good for both of them
Well, we met Gizmo who is about 7 lbs and fell in love. He has Demodectic mange and the HS told us they were treating him and if continued, he would make a full recovery by 6-8 months. He's about 14 months old, so still a puppy. We took him to my vet the day we got him and was told that his case was more serious than we were led to believe and could potentially be worse than just the mange, although the mange is bad enough. He has a generalized case and it is very serious and very painful. He's been put on Ivermectin, antibiotics and has a medicated shampoo. But every day he is bleeding from somewhere and we can't even pick him up. He can barely move, although he does eat and go out.
I was hoping that if anyone else had an experience like this, they could tell us how it worked out for them. We don't want to give up on this little guy, he is so sweet, but we can't afford a serious illness. We are willing to do all that we can, but we want to be fair to him. I hope to hear something positive. Thank you!!!
Old January 12th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Kitty pimp

welcome i would suggest if you can to post this in the pet health board i have no experiance with that but i am sure you will find a lot of help here
Old January 12th, 2009, 10:44 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Hi, Angie. Sorry to hear about your little Gizmo!

I've got some experience with localized demodectic mange, but none with a generalized case. I think Jim's suggestion is good--posting your question in the health forum. A lot more people will read it there and maybe some of the other members will have some advice!

Welcome to the forum! I hope you can get some suggestions on how to make your little guy better!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 12th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Sleep..What is that?!?

Welcome to the forum! You will meet a lot of very helpful and friendly people here

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby