Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old December 26th, 2009, 11:53 AM

American Bulldog or Doberman Pinscher

Just curious if there is anybody familiar with these breeds who would know which one would be most fitting for my lifestyle. We are looking for a family dog (have 2 boys 2yr and 4yr), I'm a stay at home parent so the dog will almost always be with me, I want a running partner and a dog that'll enjoy following my horse. My husband works out of town a ton so I also want a breed that will be protective of our family. On a side note we just had our 11 year old put down (cancer) so my kids are very gentle with dogs and I understand the importance of socializing these breeds. I'm leaning towards either American Bulldog or Pinscher for breed traits but also because I think they're beautiful...open to other breed suggestions. I have never owned either of these breeds so let me know what you think. Thanks!
Old December 26th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

I don't know much about American Bulldogs, but have heard they can be hard to manage at times (NOTE: I don't know that this is fact though - I would suggest doing some research on them!)

But I DO know that Dobermans make amazing family pets. They are, of course, a powerful breed so you want to ensure they are socialized and trained extremely well. But they are super smart and with good training are obedient and loyal.

Another upside of Dobes is that there are TONNES available for adoption on Petfinder (even little puppies!). There are also some mixes, most often with Labradors it seems, and such a mix would also make an energetic and loyal family dog.

www.petfinder.com

Good luck in your search!
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old December 26th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Senior Contributor

I really believe that regardless of whether you choose an AB or a DP - it would be protective of your home & family.

AB's are an amazing family pet. They are great with cats and children, if socialized properly from an early age. They learn quickly, but have a certain stubborn streak at times, so you MUST have experience with large breed dogs to ensure that you can train one properly.
The thing about AB's is they tend to have allergy problems & skin issues. Make sure you do your research before you bring one home, where the dog is coming from, etc.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old December 26th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Senior Contributor

I would also recommend a Rottweiler. Amazing family dogs too.
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire
Old December 30th, 2009, 12:32 AM

Hi Odeoaks, either of them is a good breed... and they are both great family dog and a good companion.. and hey just for fun, I found this while googling http://www.selectsmart.com/DOG/ it's a dog selector...It will choose a dog breed that will match your lifestyle... but anyway how about a GSD?
Old December 30th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Senior Contributor

If you are planning on getting a puppy from an ethical breeder - please, please, please do your homework. Dobermans have a boat load of genetic issues that can be crippling or fatal if you are not very careful about genetic lines.

As mentioned in previous posts - both of these breeds are large and powerful. While looking for the perfect dog/puppy, you should also look for a trainer that you trust to take your dog/puppy to class with.
Old December 30th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

I've worked with both.and i loved the temperment of the AB.it was amazingly gentle with my kids and did every command my kids gave him.have talked to AB owners and have been told they have a gentle temperment to their family.

Never had my kids around the dobies.but liked their temperment.best to research the breeds and breeders first.
Old December 30th, 2009, 01:30 AM

Congrats on becoming a soon-to-be dog owner! How exciting!

I don't have a ton of personal experience with eitheir of these breeds, but I would agree with what everyone else has wrote that both can be stubborn breeds and will require alot of training from day 1, but both will make wonderful companions if trained properly!!

And I think adopting a puppy through a rescue (I think petfinder was mentioned - it is a GREAT resource!) is also a wonderful idea and defaintly worth looking into! There are lots of puppies available, if that is what you are specifically looking for, and TONS of adult dogs that also need homes!

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old January 1st, 2010, 02:13 PM
NOT a senior member

Having owned a few Doberman Pinschers myself, if you are looking for a highly intelligent breed, trainable, and athletic they are a good choice. They are notoriously good for obedience, strive to please their owner, and generally are excellent family dogs. They will run forever, and may not know when it is good for them to stop.

I wouldn't limit myself to those two breeds though, and mixes would surely fit the bill for your needs in a dog. Check out your local rescues, and Petfinder...you may just find the perfect fit there! Good luck!

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Emmy (Miniature Pinscher)
Petie (Miniature Pinscher)
Shadow (Miniature Pinscher)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Francesca (Miniature Horse Filly)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......
Old January 13th, 2010, 01:38 PM

I second the rescue idea. Don't limit yourself to a specific breed of dog - lots of rescue dogs have the traits you're looking for. If you start looking at rescue dogs, most have been socialized with other dogs, cats, kids (and where i live with horses too) so you know what you're getting before bringing the dog home.

Two thoughts: A stable I used to show at had a little pitbull X that had been raised around the barn. Socialized with kids, dogs, cats, horses since he was 8 weeks old. Great little guy. When he was 4 years old, something "snapped" and he went after a horse. Got the horse right in the pastern area and wouldn't let go. People were trying to pry his jaws apart, sprayed him with water, at one point someone was hitting the dog with a bucket. It was a horrible scene that haunts my memory. So much blood, panicked horse, screaming kids. The dog finally let go and the horse had to be put down due to the traumatic injury (show vet was on scene). Any dog can bite a horse, but most dogs will bite then LET GO. Vet said the damage wouldn't have been near as irrepairable if the dog hadn't hung on for so long. No reason for the attack either.

Second thought: I've only known one doberman in my life and he was a sweetie. Came from a great breeder and was gentle with the kids and horses. However, when he and the 2 other dogs he lived with ran into a porcupine (not for the first time), the owner was able to pull the quills out of the other 2 dogs, but couldnt' do it to the doberman without him snapping and trying to take her hand off. One dog trainer who's been in obedience rings for over 50 years said he'd never trust a doberman. He claimed that they worse than pitbulls with their ability to be totally fine for years then all of a sudden turn on their owners. I don't have enough experience with dobermans to confirm or deny, that's just what he told me.

I would really look into a rescue organization. They have lots of background done on the animals and they try to make sure everything is a good fit. Also, you don't need a standard "protective" breed to get a dog that's protective of your home. I live by myself and wanted a protective, intimidating dog. I was thinking a shepherd X. I ended up getting a flat coated retriever X and he's more protective than most shepherds/dobbies/rotties. Not to mention smart. He knows people can come in to the yard/house/business when it's "business hours" and meets people with a wagging tail. If someone comes into the yard late night/way early in the morning, he's growling and barking daring them to come closer. It's all about the dog, not the breed.
Old January 13th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I also agree with the others about limiting the breeds to just those 2.
There are so many other breeds that would fit your situation, and please don't exclude the rescue mutt .
As for "protective" of the family.
I believe any breed (even toy, although they can't do much damage) is instinctually protective of it's family, and will defend them to the death if need be.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old January 13th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Senior Contributor

I've had 2 Dobe's around my children and also the daycare children and it was no problem. Great runner too. Be sure and supervise any breed with kids. I also had a Golden that would protect the family so don't limit your choices.
Old January 14th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Sorry to take this off topic but:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesGirl View Post
It's all about the dog, not the breed.
FlamesGirl, thanks for sharing your experiences and the experiences of others, however, I am confused.
If it is the dog and not the breed, why post negative experiences of two different breeds? Doesn't your last statement make both of these experiences/opinions moot?

I am a large breed dog owner and love my Rotties, Dobies, Mastiffs etc. I am sensitive to the cultural bias towards working dogs (police dogs, guard dogs, animals used to pull or hunt) and find many people who fear them without reason. Please don't contribute to the myth that these animals will attack without reason, and can't be trusted.

All animals when supervised properly, trained properly and supported with guidance are still animals. We can't always understand them, but as responsible pet owners we must put mechanisms in place to always keep them in controlled enviroments. I think this applies to any breed and in all circumstances, not just Bullies and Dobies.

Thanks for recommeding a rescue dog, there are so many out there in desperate need of loving homes.
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire
Old January 14th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm a bit confused too.

I also just want to add that there is truly most always a reason that a dog will react and bite; we as owners or observers simply just don't always understand that reason, or see it coming.

Quote:
but most dogs will bite then LET GO
Also, unfortunatley, not true. Very sorry you had to see that FG - that would've been terrible. Sadly though, certain breeds don't have the inherent desire to release immediatley after a bite attack, ESPECIALLY the pitbull. While training and socialization are extremly important in the case of a pitty,(and please note I am certainly not saying that every pitbull is aggressive or is garaunteed to bite another person or animal - I personally LOVE the breed) they were designed to fight - to protect - thus their incredible jaw strength and high tolerance to pain.
IME a dog that bites is very rarely at fault. Owners have a responsibilty to ensure the safety of everyone and every other animal that their dog comes into contact with.

For example, every single dog in my home will never be left alone with my daughter; regardless of the fact that they have been raised with her.

It is our job to ensure safety for everyone involved. Dogs react to certain moods, and sometimes fear or surprise can trigger the smallest defences in our dogs - thus resulting in a wonderful family pet reacting completley "unlike" their normal behavior.

Quote:
but couldnt' do it to the doberman without him snapping and trying to take her hand off.
Of course not. This doberman was in pain. Pain and fear can inflict a LOT of responses in our dogs that are not it's usual temperment.

Quote:
He claimed that they worse than pitbulls with their ability to be totally fine for years then all of a sudden turn on their owners.
I think everybody has their own opinions of dog breeds - what they like and what they don't like, for whatever reason. I personally have never met a Dobie that I don't like; but on the same note - I have an aversion to German Shepherds. They are the only breed I've ever been attacked by; and I believe the reason is that when I was 8 years old, I was bit on the face by one. Everytime now, no matter how hard I try to reign in my feelings, that fear comes out. (Since the first bite I've been bit seven times through my life, always by a Shepherd or ShepherdX).
However there are more than a few members here who have the breed and love them dearly.

My point is that generally you cannot listen to anyone that tells you a certain breed is 'bad' or not easily trusted.

I agree that it's important to consider all options, especially rescue dogs.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old January 14th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Dogs are like people, they all have their own personality, so no matter what the breed, upbringing, socialization, excercise and a good (dog smart) owner, will make or break the dog. IMO

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old January 15th, 2010, 08:13 PM

Unhappy

Macomom and Bailey_, I would like to personally thank you for bringing up some points in FlamesGirl post.

FG, as you said it's all about the dog not the breed. And your absolutely right, it is! But that means we should not stereotype a breed based on a single incident or some myths and misguided facts that the media has been known to portray (and this goes for all breeds btw).

I firmly believe that every dog breed requires adequate socialization, training, and leadership, and at the core of the issue we still need to remember that they are animals. Yes, every breed has been selected for and bred for different qualities. While some were bred for hundreds of years to be companion dogs others were bred to be used in dog fights. Nonetheless, every dog has the capability to be a wonderful pet, and much of it (I would even stretch to say the vast majority of it) depends upon the training the dog has received, not its genetics or what it has been bred to do for hundred of years.

As Macomom stated, please do not perpetuate some of the age old myths surrounding some of these so called "mean" breeds. While I do believe these dogs require a strong-willed owner, and certainly not anyone should own one, when they are trained and socialized properly (as with all dog breeds!), they are a wonderfully loving breed!

Another interesting fact I'd like to point out is that most of the "mean" breeds ex. rottweilers, pitties, dobies etc. are known to be some of the BEST breeds with children (look this up in any dog book - its true!). But yes, they do need supervision and NO dog should EVER be left with a child alone, as any dog has the capability to "snap". In fact, I worked at a dog daycare/boarding facility for Saskatoon for 3 years where the dogs all interacted together and I pulled apart many horrifying dog fights between ALL breeds including labs, goldens, St. Bernards, etc.

You may find this article interesting: http://www.understand-a-bull.com/Art...oicPitties.htm

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old January 15th, 2010, 08:45 PM

Hi! If you were picky to choose an American Bulldog with an athletic bloodline (look for one that is leaner, and not muscle-bound) I think the AB would be a better choice of the two you picked. Dobermans as mentioned can really have a lot of health issues. Also be aware that both of these breeds are known to often have dog aggression. This can be minimalized or (hopefully) eliminated with life-long continued socialization, but it will be something you will always have to work on. You may not be successful. I would suggest you pick a breed that is less likely to cause these issues for you. A crossbreed may be the answer as crossbreeds have a tendency to not be as "extreme" as purebreds. something like a Lab/AB or even Hound/AB may be a wiser choice.
Old January 16th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Senior Contributor

If you really want to know about these breeds, then I would suggest talking to breeders...I'm sure you could go by and talk to them and see the dogs and get a feeling about them...Are you looking into these breeds cause of their size? Or does size matter?

I've been around Dobies more then I have an AB....We did have an AB named Thunder down the street when I lived in T.O..He was an amazing dog. Well trained, loved playing with other dogs and loved playing with mine..He would actually start whinning when we left.

As for Dobies,I find they are a great breed..They are very loyal and loving and well tempered. I have a co-worker who is finishing the last phase of SchH with his second Dobie. And I'm sorry, but I have never known one to be dog aggressive.

Many traits from the past have been bred out of the breed.

As for "pitties"..Yes back in the days they were bred to fight..And with this aggression, it was bred into them..So you were breeding aggression into aggression(hope that made scence lol)..Well this trait has been bred out of the breed..Should I say from ethical breeders..Look at the pittie owners on here..You see the pics of their meetups...Don't think I have ever heard of any going after each other and wanting to kill each other...My cousin has an AmStaff Zac. He is a great dog..And in the last couple of years she has adopted a senior Golden and a German Shorthaired Pointer..No dog fighting there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats
Dogs are like people, they all have their own personality, so no matter what the breed, upbringing, socialization, excercise and a good (dog smart) owner, will make or break the dog.
I agree 110%...
Old May 20th, 2010, 02:58 PM

I would agree with Bailey, American Bulldogs are prone to skin problems. So get one from a reputable breeder if you decide to get one. They tend to be more patient with the kids and not as protective at home as Dobermans. More stubborn at times. If you are looking for a running partner, Bulldogs will not do as good in long distance running as some other breeds due to the shorter muzzles. Although active dogs, it is an issue that you have be aware of.

Dobermans is an amazing breed as well, smart dogs, fairly easy to work with, in terms of training, easier than Bulldogs. Tend to have heart problems due to poor breeding practices and close inbreeding. Protective dogs.
Old May 20th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Senior Contributor

A lot of good posts.

I think the main thing with EITHER of those breeds is choosing a reputable breeder. Ask lots and lots of questions. There is a sticky on here about how to choose a reputable breeder and you should definitely look it over. Breeders should be open and receptive to every single question you ask. A reputable breeder wants their puppy to go to the right home too, so it should be kind of like an adoption from a good rescue.

Both ABs and Dobermans can be very athletic and good running partners. ABs are way more dependent on lines than dobermans as far as that goes though. Some breeders breed them more stocky and powerful rather than agile, and they'll look more like a bulldog, some people breed them leaner and athletic. Most Dobermans tend to be more lean and agile because of their standardized build. Both do have their own set of health problems if you do not buy from the right breeder, and even with a good breeder issues can pop up.

Both breeds can be dominant and prone to aggression if not socialized and trained properly. Both can be good family pets with the right training and socialization. Either breed will most likely be protective of your home, which is why training and socialization are VERY important. You don't want them to be protective and aggressive at the wrong time with the wrong people.

In your case, since you've narrowed it down to these 2 breeds and both are similar in a lot of ways, I would try spending time with each breed in person and see what you think. Talk to a lot of reputable breeders and ask to see and spend time with their dogs. Ask about the pros and cons as far as what you're looking for in a dog. Keep in mind a reputable breeder will be able to also give you the down sides of their breed, not laud the good traits and try to get you to buy one of their puppies.