Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 4th, 2017, 10:49 AM

Cat not using litter -- please help

Hi everyone -- new here, so I hope I'm doing this right!

Anyway, I know this is a very common problem, but I feel like I've read hundreds of threads and I dont' quite see my issue so I'm hoping someone here will have some experience with this.

We have a five month old neutered male kitten. We have had him for about a month. When he came home from the breeder (he's a Devon Rex), he was great at using his litter. But over time, he's started finding new places to go.

Recently, he decided he liked peeing under the basements steps (it's unfinished, just a bare concrete floor). So I blocked off the area of moved his litter box down near to it. He started using the box again.

One night, he climbed into the kids' lego bin, dug around, and defecated inside it. This was in the den on the second floor, so we got a second litter box for the second floor. He started using it, too.

Now, he seems to use one or the other box when he feels like it, but he still seems to think he can go in random places when he wants to. For example, just this morning, he climbed behidn the books on the bottom bookshelf and defecated there.

I can't understand it. He seems to like his litter just fine and uses it most of the time. But then he will just randomly go somewhere else (usually poo).

Is he sick? Lazy? Confused? Do I need a box in every room?

His two boxes are tucked away and private, though that doesn't seem to matter to him. The 2 or 3 times he has randomly defecated around the house have been right in front of us.

I have considered taking him to the vet but because it's inconsistent, we don't think it's health related (but what do we know).

He doesn't seem to have a problem with his litter because he does use it.

So, it's a mystery. We need to fix this though. He can't develop the habit of going wherever he pleases. Thanks for your help!