Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Wildlife - squrriels, raccoons, skunks, opossums, groundhogs, etc.

Old June 19th, 2017, 02:00 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

8 dollar and 2 cent anti squirrel bird feeder frame - will it work?

made from bamboo - 3 bucks
slinky - 5 bucks
scrap of wood and 2 screws - 2 cents

total - 8.02

I found something similar on youtube using a metal frame...tried my own from bamboo... and a small scrap of wood at the top....now will it work to keep the squirrels away? (don't worry they get plenty of stuff)
Attached Images

Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old June 19th, 2017, 04:46 PM
Senior Contributor

I really don't think that will keep squirrels away from the seeds and I bet chipmunks could climb up that very easy too. I have seen birdfeeders that have door on them , it suppose to closes from the weight of squirrels trying to get to the seeds.
Old June 19th, 2017, 05:52 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Slinkies can be pretty effective as long as the feeders are too high for the squirrels to jump to. Is that a plastic slinky, though? They might chew through it if they get really frustrated! Of course, frustrating squirrels is an art in itself and success might be worth the price of having to replace a few plastic slinkies. The old metal ones work better, but they're really hard to find these days.

For $8.02, how can you go wrong, though? You'll have to give us a report in a few weeks and tell us how it's going. I may have to steal your design and put one up for the sunflower heart feeder. The squirrels and raccoons both find the hearts to be pretty tasty. Wouldn't mind it too much, since both animals are pretty entertaining to watch, but it's the most expensive seed I use and they're snarfing it up like it's going out of style!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 19th, 2017, 09:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Slinky Squirrel! - YouTube

Video for can squirrels climb up a Slinky▶ 1:22

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSGer1mi1Aw

Jul 7, 2011 - Uploaded by spikelevi63
Have seen about 15 squirrels attempt to climb the pole with no luck! ... and suffer a slow painful death after ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...li-powder.html

this web site said to mix chili powder in the birdseeds b/c squirrels detest it but bird don't .

I found this online , a squirrel can get stuck in the slinky and dies . There is some grease made to keep squirrels from being able to climb up a birdfeeder and it not toxic .

Last edited by Barkingdog; June 19th, 2017 at 09:32 PM.