Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old August 24th, 2014, 01:18 PM
Dog Buddy For Life

Arrow TITLE: K-9 Officer Left to Die In A Hot Car, Police Handler Charged

Nyx, a 10 year old black Labrador was an important K9 Officer to the Mills Police Department. He joined the Mills Police Department seven years ago. He was a drug detection canine and the first and only police dog of the station. He was assigned to his Officer handler Zachary Miller for the last two years.

Accounting the incident leading to the death of the K-9 police, it was noted that Miller and another police officer responded to an early morning call with Nyx in tow. They returned to the station at 6 a.m. and left Nyx unknowingly inside the car without the air conditioner on and the car windows are up for six hours. Temperature that day have risen from 53 degrees to a hot weather of 86 degrees. Nyx have suffered and was found dead inside the hot car. Miller, who was the department’s training officer for four years was stripped off his trainer position. And although permitted to work, Miller was out on paternity leave as of press time. Miller pleaded not guilty to animal cruelty conviction at the Natrona County Circuit Court. The police agency will impose disciplinary action against Miller and another police Officer named Preciado who was with Miller when the K-9 Officer died. A memorial memento will be created and a plaque of appreciation will be made to honor Nyx according to the Chief of the Mills Police Department.

Sad news but a lesson learned to many dog lovers! on how to care for their dogs especially during summer.

Last edited by hazelrunpack; August 30th, 2014 at 12:37 PM. Reason: No promotion, pls
Old August 24th, 2014, 10:15 PM

I read that he was suspended with pay. I call that a vacation. He also left the car running all that time, WHY DIDN'T HE LEAVE THE AIR CONDITIONING ON? I can't believe he pleaded not guilty, that poor old dog was probably looking out the windows for a long time waiting for him. They should publicize what type of discipline he received, probably a slap on the wrist.
Old August 25th, 2014, 02:18 PM
Dog Buddy For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindapalm View Post
I read that he was suspended with pay. I call that a vacation. He also left the car running all that time, WHY DIDN'T HE LEAVE THE AIR CONDITIONING ON? I can't believe he pleaded not guilty, that poor old dog was probably looking out the windows for a long time waiting for him. They should publicize what type of discipline he received, probably a slap on the wrist.
I just couldn't imagine how the poor dog suffered so much before his death. Such a cruel way to die.

I really dont know how to react to the cop's wrongdoing, since in my heart I cried not for him but for the poor dog.

Tags
hero dogs, k-9