Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 1st, 2009, 05:24 PM

Red face Question about kittens !

Hello pet owners!!
I'm happy to say that I am a new owner of two 12 week old kittens (possibly calico kittens, but unsure)
After about a month of having them they have become much more comfortable with us.
I have a question though...

One of the kittens (Chloe) will suck on a fuzzy blanket that I have. It looks like she thinks its her mother. I have taken the blanket away from her and she hasn't done it on anything else.
The other kitten (Zoe) will suck on Chloe. Doesn't seem to matter if its on Chloe's belly, back or neck. Chloe doesn't really like this and will eventually get up and walk away.
Just recently though Zoe has started sucking on herself. She's able to curl up into a ball and suck on her own belly. I dont know what to do, its not like I can take something away from her.. its her OWN belly.

Is this normal for kittens? Will they eventually grow out of this?

I am assuming its because I have taken them away from their mothers... Is there anything I can or should do? Or is this not a problem?

Thanks!
Old November 1st, 2009, 05:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Welcome to our Forum!
Kittens should always come in two's,thank's for taking the pair
As for the sucking,I would not worry,unless whatever they are sucking on can hurt them,it's a comfort thing for them.
I would let little Chloe have the blanket,it's better than her sucking on herself.
Are you sure the kittens are 10weeks old??
Old November 1st, 2009, 07:06 PM

Hi thanks for your reply!

I'd rather they suck on each other or themselves rather than the blanket just because Chloe (the one who sucks on the fuzzy blanket) is actually sucking out the fabric which isn't healthy (and I'm sure could hurt her) that and she's ruining our blanket ! lol.

I'm pretty sure that they are about 12 weeks. When I got them the owners said that they were 8 weeks old. I've had them for a month now.

Do you have cats/kittens? Do you know or think that this is normal?

Thanks chico2!
Old November 1st, 2009, 09:12 PM
I'm a softy

Usually kittens do that when they are taken away from mom too young when they still have an sucking instinct, yes they usually grow out of it. You have to give them extra attention and distract them when they are doing it. Chances are they were weaned too young, even 8 weeks is too young...where did you get them from?

If they are calico they would be mostly white with distinct patches of orange and black, or blue and cream, what color are your babies? Tortoiseshell is when the orange/cream is distributed throughout the black/blue, with white or without, but not mostly white, hope that helps. . Good luck!
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Old November 1st, 2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lUvMyLaB<3 View Post
Usually kittens do that when they are taken away from mom too young when they still have an sucking instinct, yes they usually grow out of it. You have to give them extra attention and distract them when they are doing it. Chances are they were weaned too young, even 8 weeks is too young...where did you get them from?

If they are calico they would be mostly white with distinct patches of orange and black, or blue and cream, what color are your babies? Tortoiseshell is when the orange/cream is distributed throughout the black/blue, with white or without, but not mostly white, hope that helps. . Good luck!
Hi lUvMyLaB thanks for your reply! I got them from my boyfriend who got them from some people that were selling their kittens online that are a few hours away from where we live. They look almost identical but the owners told my boyfriend that they are not from the same litter. I find that a bit hard to believe as you see in the pics they look like sisters, same colorings and same size. The previous owners said one was brought to their house that someone found. My boyfriend didnt ask any questions about that so we arent sure what the whole story is to that and have no way of contacting the previous owners. Who knows I guess

I'm happy that you said they usually grow out of it as this is something I'm really hoping they do! Sometime I've distracted them but sometimes I've just let them be. I will distract them every time they start sucking on each other or themselves.

So they arent calico cats lol. Quite the opposite in color actually. One person told me that they might be calico or have some calico in them, since then I've just thought they were but never looked into it.
They are mostly black with some orange and white in them. They are long haired.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Old November 1st, 2009, 10:38 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

They are Torties. Tortoiseshells. Very sweet.
Some info for you that may set your mind at ease.
http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/ou...or_basics.html

Unless the blanket the kitten is sucking on is filthy and/or she is biting it I don't see a problem with letting her suckle. She will most likely outgrow this as she ages. I would agree she was probably taken too soon.
Have you had them vetted yet? They probably have worms which is also normal. It's also a great time to talk to your vet about getting the kittens fixed and their needles.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by 14+kitties; November 1st, 2009 at 10:44 PM.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
They are Torties. Tortoiseshells. Very sweet.
Some info for you that may set your mind at ease.
http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/ou...or_basics.html

Unless the blanket the kitten is sucking on is filthy and/or she is biting it I don't see a problem with letting her suckle. She will most likely outgrow this as she ages. I would agree she was probably taken too soon.
Have you had them vetted yet? They probably have worms which is also normal. It's also a great time to talk to your vet about getting the kittens fixed and their needles.
Hey thanks 14+kitties! I love my torties
I havent taken them to the vet yet. We have decided to get them fixed though and get a check up and the initial deworming when they are five months old to hopefully get it all done at once. They are indoor cats so we're going to pass on getting the shots.

Do you have more than 14 cats ?
Old November 2nd, 2009, 02:44 AM
Husky Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLOE AND ZOE View Post
I havent taken them to the vet yet. We have decided to get them fixed though and get a check up and the initial deworming when they are five months old to hopefully get it all done at once. They are indoor cats so we're going to pass on getting the shots.

please get them vaccinated... even if they are indoor cats, you never know, theres a lot of nasty viruses going on around. better pay a small fee for vaccination than treatment for panleuco...or eutha

beside, most vets wont spay/neuter without shots and checkup

Titus - Siberian Husky
Lex - hairless rat
Old November 2nd, 2009, 07:20 AM

They are just adorable! I love the colouring that both Calicos and Torties have.

Caesar (Egyptian Mau/DSH X) - 7 yrs
Sable (Egyptan Mau/DSH X) - 6 yrs
Fluffy (Domestic Long Hair) - 4 yrs
Kali (Calico DSH) - 2 yrs?
Pandora (White Shepherd) - 2 yrs
Loki (Caucasian Ovcharka) - 7 mths
Angelique (Egyptian Mau/DSH X) - November 7, 2002 to May 2008

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all.
It's the best deal man has ever made." -M. Acklam
Old November 2nd, 2009, 07:44 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:

It would be a good idea to get them in for a check up before the fifth month. If they have worms, likely, the worms could be doing some damage to the kittens. Most provinces it is mandatory to have a rabies shot once a year. Regardless of if the cats are indoor or not. The shots protect them from so much more than just being outdoors. At somewhere between 10 to 20 dollars for the combo of shots the first needle is it is well worth it.
Look in your area to see if there is a low cost spay/neuter clinic available. Some cities are being more responsible trying to control the cat population and are offering that service. Talk to your vet or the SPCA. They will be aware if there is a clinic.

As to do I have more than 14 cats.. Yes.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old November 2nd, 2009, 08:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Most provinces it is mandatory to have a rabies shot once a year.
Actually, in Canada there are very few places were annual rabies vax are mandatory, and it's determined at the local level, not provincial. Here is more info: http://www.siriusdog.com/rabies-vacc...egulations.htm

Quote:
Contrary to widely held beliefs, legal requirements for annual rabies revaccination exist in only a few local jurisdictions, mostly in New Brunswick. The decision of which type of rabies vaccine to use, and the frequency of vaccination is determined solely by the veterinarian in most places.
The latest vaccination protocol from the American Association of Feline Practitioners is for boosters at 3 year intervals, not annually. I would say that for an indoor cat, there is no need beyond the initial kitten set plus perhaps a booster at 1 yr of age, none of which should be administered to anything but healthy animals, and not at the same time as neutering. Rabies should also be given on a separate visit from the other shots.

Some other vaccine-related links:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.ph...em=vaccination
http://www.holisticat.com/vaccinations.html
http://www.cfa.org/articles/health/v...ecommendations

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old November 2nd, 2009, 08:35 AM
150% PRO S/N

Ooops, my bad. In MY area it is necessary to inoculate whether or not the cats are in or out. Not saying I agree. It's just necessary.

Old November 2nd, 2009, 10:42 AM
Senior Contributor

CandZ,Yes I have 3 cats and have had cats most of my life as have the others who posted.
As a rule I bring any kitten I have had to the vet,before I even take him home.
If they came from someone who gave them to you free,chances are the mom has not seen a vet either...

These beautiful little Torties need a vet yesterday,they need(IMO) their first set of shots and proper deworming,please do not use any dewormer sold at stores like Walmart,they can do more harm than good.

Little kittens can get sick very quickly,often with a bad outcome:sad:
Maybe like 14+said,you can find a clinic that is not too expensive
They are just the cutest little things
Old November 2nd, 2009, 12:39 PM
Catlover2

Definitely two adorable Domestic Longhair torties (or tortoiseshell colouring). I agree they should be wormed and receive their vaccs, and when they're a little older both spayed. Even if they will be indoor cats, don't neglect their shots, as you never know when they may get outside accidentally. You definitely have two cuties there. I love torties and their "tortitude"--sometimes stubborn and determined, sometimes bossy, but always lovable and loyal.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 05:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Welcome to you and your very cute kitties. I have to agree that they should see a vet and get their shots. I had (RIP) two indoor cats and both got all their shots (and spayed/neutered) and wormed on schedule for the first few years. Yes, as indoor cats I let the shots go later in their lives, but really they should get a good start with their shots anyhow. And vet managed worming is sooooo necessary. Good luck to you.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 05:34 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Oh, they are so sweet . Yes, they need their first set of shots and booster. You can bring viruses in on the bottom of your shoes.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 2nd, 2009, 05:38 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Actually, in Canada there are very few places were annual rabies vax are mandatory, and it's determined at the local level, not provincial.

Wow, I didn't know that, SCM. Very interesting that this law is controlled at a local level, but the federal gov't requires any animals brought into Canada, even if they were out of the country for the day, to have proof of a current rabies vaccine.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 2nd, 2009, 06:45 PM

Thank you all for your replies !
Thank you sugarcatmom for the links !!

Wow 14+kitties that is a lot of cats ! Are they all indoor+outdoor ?
Did a few of your cats have kittens or did you bring them home from the SPA but couldn't take two and so you took them all ? What do you feed them ?

So here's my plan so far. I definitely want to get them to our vet for the initial deworming and check up soon. We will talk to our vet and see what she says about the vaccinations. Then between this time and the time we get them spayed I will continue to research the vaccinations and figure out if it is really necessary.

I know this is a controversial issue and I see already there are a few people who are all for the vaccinations.

If you know of any great articles/websites about cats and vaccinations please send them over my way to help me make the right decisions.
Old November 12th, 2009, 12:21 AM

Chloe and Zoe both went to the vet a couple days ago. Poor kitties I thought Chloe was going to either stop breathing or vomit on the way there. She did not like the car ride at all. Zoe who has been feeling kinda down lately didn't seem to mind too much.
Once we got to the vet and were in the little room with the vet they were ok. At times they didnt even want to come out of the carrier which was funny to me since they tried to dig their way out of it on the way.
They both had pretty dirty ears with ear mites. They both got the ear drops to clear them out. I keep checking their ears now and make sure they stay clean.
The vet told me that they both felt a little bloated. She said thats a sign they have worms and possible parasites. Chloe and Zoe each swallowed a pill for that and also had the revolution drop on their necks.
I talked a bit about vaccines with the vet and she was absolutely fine and understanding about me not wanting to vaccinate them and said I shouldn't have any problems as long as they stay indoors!

It was a good visit. But if anyone has any tips on how to make the drive to the vet much nicer for them please let me know!!! We go back for a check up a month from now.

Meow Meow!
Old November 12th, 2009, 12:52 PM
~Cat Servent~

Floofy baby torties!!!!

When I had Cordelia my mom's tortie as a kitten, she also suckled, on my stuffed puppy, she did this for about 4 months or so then just grew out of it. I think it's pretty normal behaviour. And it's cute too!

This is Cordy at about 5 years old...she's 11 now and still looks exactly the same!
Attached Images

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old November 12th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Senior Contributor

They are both just gorgeous! Kudos to you for taking two siblings.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old November 12th, 2009, 06:05 PM
chronically insane.

Quote:
I talked a bit about vaccines with the vet and she was absolutely fine and understanding about me not wanting to vaccinate them and said I shouldn't have any problems as long as they stay indoors!

I would have to VERY strongly disagree with that. I know alot of people on here are against over-vaccinating, but initial vaccines in a kitten are EXTREMELY important. They can protect them for years to come! Unless a previous vaccine reaction history is noted there is no reason to not do the initial vaccines and a rabies shot.

If you don't do the shots now you could very well regret it later. If either Chloe or Zoe were to get outside months or ever years from now they would be at very high risk... and like others have mentioned you could legally get in big trouble depending on where you live.

Rabies issues depend on your region. I used to think rabies was just a big joke and only Cujo had rabies. That was until I started working in animal shelters and with veterinarians and realized rabies is alot more common then you think.

Even one rabies shot usually leaves a long lasting immunity. From my research, there has never been a recorded case of rabies in a cat that has been inoculated atleast once in it's life. So even if you just do it now, get it over and done with, I would say that I totally support you not wanting to continue with vaccines later in life.

Also the FVRCP vaccine series is really important, especially with kittens with unknown backgrounds. It could really help protect them from breaking with serious diseases like Panleukopenia (highly fatal and contagious), calici virus (a pain in the butt URI) and other respiratory diseases.

I really agree with everyones focus on holistic health care... but coming from a medical standpoint I see the results of UNDER-vaccinating and UNDER-treating much much muchhhh more often then I see the results of something being overdone.

It's important to find a happy medium. Initial vaccines and healthcare of a kitten are extremely important, but if Chloe and Zoe are going to be indoors and not around any other cats after that then hey, there really is no need to continue with any of that stuff.

I would also suggest you test them for Feline Leukemia and FIV. It's a in-house test at most places and is usually relatively cheap. Ask your vet if they have the IDEXX Snap Combo Tests... those ones are great!

Good luck with the newest additions.. I've done the kitten thing more times then I can count If you have any questions.. feel free to PM me. I do take a more direct medical approach on things though as I work in a shelter and see some things a bit differently.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old November 13th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Kathryn,I agree with you,kittens need the initial protection
It's never 100% sure they'll not escape outside one day,also you might bring in bacteria from outside on your shoes etc..