Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 22nd, 2005, 11:43 PM

My dog's Penis BLEEDs !! help !!!!!!!

Hi,

I need some ADVICE!!.. I notice my dog's penis, near the tip, has some yellowish dicharge and the skin around there turn brown. I afraid it's infection. So i took him to the Vet., the Dr. thinks his penis is SWELLED up, gave him pain medicine and some antibiotics. He also took X-Ray to see if it's Kidney STONE and did Urineanalysis. So i gave my dog the med. and took him recheck later. Before the recheck, my dog's urine and the tip of the penis, has some redish discharge.. should be blood. To the Vet., result of the test, no kidney stone but his urine has some O type crystals. We have some special FOOD to treat the crystal. I ask the Dr. why He start to kinda BLEED now, he said maybe is couz of the "cathethrizion" that he used to get the urine. OK...

Until Monday, i got home... then my dog suddenly start BLEEDing alone the floor, and a Dark redish "GEL" is in the blood. I rush him to the Vet, and Vet. , he gave me some STRONGER antibiotic and just trash the old medicine.

Until NOW, my dog pee pee fine (no blood in urine)... it's just that he still has some DARK redish discharge at the TIP of his penis, which is dripping small read spots around my house.

To me, i really want to find out WHY my dog still BLEEDS. I don't have dog insurance. I paid $800 on my dog already for the 3 visits to Vet. MONEY is not an issue compare to the HEALTH of my dog. But it seems like the Vet STILL doesn't know what EXACTLY happens to my dog.
This really FRUSTRATED me !!!!!!
How many times do i need to visit Vet. AGAIN to really find out what
happen?? When is he going to stop bleeding ???

Please help me or give me some advice... thx !!!!!!

**also, i found this Question that some other person asked previously.
Old December 22nd, 2005, 11:45 PM

Bleeding from Penis - German Shepherd
Question: Dear Dr. Michael,
I am having a problem with my GSD "K-9". He is 3 years old and for about 4 months ago he was used as a stud. Now for abut 2 1/2 weeks ago he started to bleed, red fresh blood drops from his penis. I took him to the vet and I got some antibiotic and she gave him anti-inflammatory injection. He stopped bleeding after 3 days while taking the antibiotic. 2 days after the 7 days couse was finished he started again and with more blood droppes than before. Took him again to the vet same antibiotic and anti-inflammatory tablets. The vet wanted to check K-9 with some instruments (don;t know the name) but they don;t have it here. The vet said since it is red blood it must come from the end not further in, which makes sense. The vet is not able to do any
further tests that's is the reasons for why I contact you. What could it be? What should I look for? (He dose not have pain when he is urinating and there is no blood in the urine).

Please note I do like my vet she has helped me in many situations but this time I'm a little worried since it dose not seam to clear up and she has not got the facilities needed.
Looking forward to your advise. Thanks, Maggie

Answer: Maggie-
There are two things to think about when bleeding occurs from the penis. The first is an injury to the penis or some other part of the urinary tract leading to the hemorrhage. The second is a bleeding disorder that is affecting the entire dog but showing up as bleeding from the penis. It is important to note that occasional instances of small amounts of bleeding from the penis (several drops but enough to be noticeable) are not highly unusual in intact male dogs and often do not seem to cause any significant
problems. This is especially true when they are aware of a female in heat but not able to breed with her. It sounds like you are seeing more bleeding than this, though.

The most common problem leading to bleeding in intact male dogs is almost
certainly prostate disease. The prostate can be palpated in dogs by rectal palpation and if the prostate is greatly enlarged it would increase the likelihood of prostatic problems as the cause of the observed bleeding. The antibiotics are a good choice in this case. Prostate infections are often poorly responsive to antibiotics and they must be used for long periods of time in some dogs to get control of the infections --- it is not unusual to have to use antibiotics for 6 to 8 weeks. Prostate hypertrophy in the
absence of infection also occurs and can lead to bleeding from the penis. I think that this is probably the major reason that we see occasional bleeding episodes in some male dogs who never really seem to be ill from the problem. This is especially true of young male dogs who are sexually frustrated by the presence of a female in heat.
Injuries to the penis are not too unusual in dogs that have learned to masturbate in response to sexual frustration. It is a good idea to examine the penis for signs of injury whenever bleeding is seen. We have also seen injuries to the prepuce that were difficult to locate, including one dog who had managed to fun over a stick in just the right path to push it several inches into his sheath, where it caused a great deal of hemorrhage but was not visible.

Bleeding disorders are not especially common in dogs but German shepherds are one of the breeds that is prone to these problems, since there is a higher than usual rate of hemophilia in GSDs. Checking for a bleeding disorder with a coagulation profile or bleeding time tests would be reasonable.

It does help to have access to an ultrasound machine when the prostate is suspected to be the problem but it is reasonable to just treat for the problems that can be treated for and hope for the best when access to this type of testing is limited.

Good luck with this.
Mike Richards, DVM
Old December 23rd, 2005, 12:23 AM

So, did that answer your question?
Old December 23rd, 2005, 12:40 AM
-

Hee Hee Hee
Old December 23rd, 2005, 12:47 AM

Grow up! Or were you laughing at something else?

(I needed to add more 's so you would know for sure I was joking...)
Old December 23rd, 2005, 12:52 AM
-

I had to laugh, I have never seen anyone answer their own question before and in so much detail.
Hee Hee Hee
Old December 23rd, 2005, 12:55 AM

I wish we had more people like mcl. No more wondering if it's a joke or not, no more having to use the good ol' brain muscle...
Old December 23rd, 2005, 10:59 AM

You might want to take this info to your vet and see what he/she thinks. Regardless, please keep us posted so we know how it works out.
Old December 23rd, 2005, 01:09 PM
Senior Contributor

With one of my male - neurtered dogs - it was as a result of 4 bladder stones (note bladder - not kidney in dogs) and some crystals. He eventually had the stones removed during another surgical procedure and the special food dissolved the crystals. No recurrences.
Old December 23rd, 2005, 01:13 PM
-

Actually our family dog had bladder stones as well and I remember she would spot blood before they were removed. She was the size of a toy poodle and had three the same size and shape as large marshmallows. That was when she was about 2yrs. She lived to 14 yrs.
Old December 24th, 2005, 04:24 AM

Wow, those were huge stones! Poor doggy!
Old February 19th, 2013, 01:47 PM

bleeding penis

I have a 3yr 8mo intact male Rotti who was never bred. He is a 'finished' champion. I also have a spayed female in the house. Whenever the female gets frisky the male gets excited(sexually) he drips blood from the penis. That is the only time this happens and only recently started. This is not a constant problem, only when excited. he does not have von Willabrand Disease. Vet can't find a problem because he is not excited while at the vet office. Vet 'thinks' it will stop if he is neutered. I don't want to breed him with this but I don't want to neuter him ...yet. He is a finished champion and I wanted to produce more champions from him. Any idea's?
Old February 19th, 2013, 02:34 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

If there's a chance that this is related to his being intact, I would neuter him. Why take a chance on his health just for the sake of bringing more puppies in to this world where so many are unwanted/neglected/abused everyday. Sadly, it's sometimes the "lucky" ones who end up euthanized.

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old February 19th, 2013, 05:44 PM
Senior Contributor

http://www.lab-retriever.net/board/g...ody-semen.html

The link is to a very similar problem on another board.

I think you should get a second opinion from another Vet before you do anything.

Have you posted on a Rotti board? Other folks active in breeding your breed might have valuable input.