Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 5th, 2010, 08:27 AM

Hi Everyone, our story :)

Myself and my family are owned by two wonderful dogs, Molly a Giant Schnauzer and Jack a Mini Schnauzer. I have done Giant Schnauzer rescue for years and at our house with such prey driven dogs never would have even considered a cat...
Until the coldest day in December, we pulled into the garage and saw what we thought was a rat, it jumped in our blue box and turned out to be an emaciated and freezing grey tabby kitten. Gracie's litter mates were found frozen to death in our neighbours yard so we can only assume it was a litter dump
After weeks of careful introductions, Gracie and the dogs became friends and the little one soon became the light of all of our lives. Sadly in Mid-March at the tender age of 5 months or so, Gracie died as the result of a congenital heart defect and we were devastated. In her name, we went to an adopt-a-thon held at petsmart by our local shelter and saw a pathetic little calico kitten with a nasty eye infection, of course of all the cats and kittens there, we knew that she would be the one. Katie is a little calico fire-cracker! The dogs accepted her instantly and she has taken over ownership of all of us, including the dogs. Since we have a son and daughter and a male and female dog, we decided to reset the balance and to that end last week, we added the most adorable little male Ragdoll kitten named Dexter. He and the dogs are on great terms but our little Katie is going to have to warm up to him on her own terms. The introductions with the two of them are going slowly but with time and perseverance I'm sure it will all work out
Had anyone told me 7 months ago that I would have a kitten in the house, never mind two of them, I would have told them they were crazy! It seems that this dyed in the wool "Dog person" was also a "Cat person" waiting to happen!

Our little family:

Molly and Dexter:

Jack and Dexter:

Molly and Katie:

Our little Angel Gracie: