Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 17th, 2011, 09:42 PM
EMT Foster Mom

New Foster Has Demodex Mange...

Hello everyone! I'm brand new here (registered about 5 minutes ago) and will be picking up a surrendered dog tomorrow. I read through a number of the forums and was so touched by the level of sincerity and true concern for the welfare of these animals.

It's for this reason I figured I'd touch base early so I can make things as easy for this pup as I can.

The story: I noticed a posting on craigslist by a woman pleading for someone to help her neighbor's dog as they said they were going to put him down. Apparently the dog has demodex mange on his face and head and they either didn't feel like treating it or were financially unable to do so...

The puppy is only 6 or 7 months old so I doubt anyone would actually euthanize the dog for them but I was worried about what measures they might take if the dog became too much.

Anyway, I contacted the woman and with the support of the rescue I work with (Paws of Tomorrow) I'll be heading to Baltimore MD tomorrow afternoon to get the little guy.

The challenge: I've never dealt with an animal with mange before and really don't want to screw this up. I've done some reading and know there are treatments and suppliments and medications available. I also know I should make sure he gets healthy nutritionally to help his body fight the infection/mites. Lastly I know I have to work to keep his environment as stress free as possible... yeah, we'll see how well that works out
with three other dogs, a cat, and a work schedule even I can't figure out it's tough.

To make a long story... well long, I'm reaching out for any suggestions or ideas you might have to help me get this little guy back in good health so he can be adopted by his furever family.

Pictures to follow soon!

Tags
demodex, foster, mange