Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old May 27th, 2011, 10:58 PM

Cat Food

what do you think of feeding TD Feline Dry Cat Food to a 10 year old Female Domestic Shorthair Cat. Should I change to a Wellness or Innova brand or stay with TD Feline. I am looking for a Premium brand Dry and Wet cat food. Any advice is very much appreciate. Thank You.

Last edited by cdan508; May 27th, 2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old May 27th, 2011, 11:28 PM
Doggie Wench

Hi cdan, welcome to pets.ca .

Off that bat, with the choices you listed, I'd say Wellness grain-free wet food is your best option.

Here's a great sticky where you're going to find a wealth of information on feline nutrition. Lots of reading but you're going to learn so much about why feeding dry is not appropriate for cats (as well as why you should avoid grains and bad ingredients in general).

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=73489
Old June 16th, 2011, 03:28 AM
Obsessed animal lover

I u
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdan508 View Post
what do you think of feeding TD Feline Dry Cat Food to a 10 year old Female Domestic Shorthair Cat. Should I change to a Wellness or Innova brand or stay with TD Feline. I am looking for a Premium brand Dry and Wet cat food. Any advice is very much appreciate. Thank You.
I would not recommend the t/d. One reason is it says on the bag that it is recommended that you only feed t/d for the best dental results. Well, IMHO, cats should be fed wet food for the moisture but if it's a cost issue, then feed half wet and half dry at least. T/d is like mcdonalds. I would suggest feeding a.food that has acn identifiable meat in the first three ingredients if not all three. Plus whole ingredients not ones like brewers rice. Grain-free foods are great but not for all cats. Some good brands are wellness, go!natural, nature's variety (Instinct, Prairie, Homestyle varieties). Taste of the wild and Chicken Soup for the Cat soul are good reasonably priced brands. Also, you don't really need to feed absenior food just feed adult food.
Old June 16th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Senior Contributor

I have a 14yr old cat,who has basically always eaten canned food,at his last check-up,the vet said he has the nicest teeth he'd ever seen in a 14yr old cat.
Dry food and good teeth are a myth.

Wellness and other good foods,might be a bit costly,but pays for itself in the long run,with less vet-bills.