Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 27th, 2011, 01:04 AM

Exclamation My dogs losing hair(need suggestions/confirmation/solutions)

So i noticed my dog was losing hair,i thought she was just shedding but she isnt. So i researched online for what is happening. I came across many things it could be. I found this link and it describes a lot of her symptoms,and im convinced its her food.The family dog has some as well.Im looking for opinions and recomendations for food. Like what is the best holistic food thats not gonna kill my wallet ?

Here is the link,it mentions solutions for food. Im looking for what brand of food is best or if it should be human food. feedback from others that might have gone through the same thing.

http://pet-friendly-place.blogspot.c...nutrition.html

I want to try to solve the problem without a checkup and blood test,its expensive,and i have not had the best vets,i find them over priced and that they dont offer other options. other then testing and giving meds.

They eat Iams Adult,which is recomended by my vet for being the best food for dogs...

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.
Old March 27th, 2011, 01:25 AM

My first thought seeing the title of your thread was thyroid or another medical condition. Can you be more specific about your dog's symptoms as to why you think it is a food issue rather than one of the more common causes of hair loss?
Old March 27th, 2011, 01:38 AM

yeah sorry,i think its the food because both dogs have most of the symptoms

lola
bald area,mostly on the right side down her back
Poor pigmentation of skin and coat
hot spots where hair missing
head shaking
Runny, goopy eyes and runny nose
oily skin/fur
Obesity or can't maintain weight not tht bad but she is over
Poor stools, soft or small overly firm (constipated)
Vomiting food portions or a yellow froth on occasion

Bruin
chews paws and tail
ear infections
rubs but on floor
Constant shedding and Hot Spots
oily fur

when she was a puppy she ate nutram,then when i had to change to adult i used pedigree,nutram was getting $$,it started after the switch. lola has stopped a lot of the vomiting now its just the odd time.
Old March 27th, 2011, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon W View Post
yeah sorry,i think its the food because both dogs have most of the symptoms

lola
bald area,mostly on the right side down her back
Poor pigmentation of skin and coat
hot spots where hair missing
head shaking
Runny, goopy eyes and runny nose
oily skin/fur
Obesity or can't maintain weight not tht bad but she is over
Poor stools, soft or small overly firm (constipated)
Vomiting food portions or a yellow froth on occasion

Bruin
chews paws and tail
ear infections
rubs but on floor
Constant shedding and Hot Spots
oily fur

when she was a puppy she ate nutram,then when i had to change to adult i used pedigree,nutram was getting $$,it started after the switch. lola has stopped a lot of the vomiting now its just the odd time.
Sorry, I'm not understanding you. Both dogs have most of the symptoms of what?
Old March 27th, 2011, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
Sorry, I'm not understanding you. Both dogs have most of the symptoms of what?
Of being allergic to their food. Im looking for opinions if people think it is that. I know what they need to eat now...its got to be holistic. And whats the best one to get.

Did you look at the link?

Last edited by Brandon W; March 27th, 2011 at 02:50 AM. Reason: more info
Old March 27th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Brandon I would think your right on track with your food suspicion. I cannot encourage you enough to change both of them over to a good quality food. Not to say that yours isnt but you really need to look at the nutritional value of the food. I would start with purchasing a high meat content food, with no grains and perhaps avoid chicken. Then you can see what a difference that makes. Alot of pups get yeasty and tend to lick their paws raw and other areas as well. I know of alot of folks that have had issues with chicken so why not rule it out with the change over.

I would change them gradually over a week or 2 by introducing a small amount of the new food into the old and then increase it each time.

Last but not least with the symptoms you mentioned you really need to have them in for a check up, what concerns me is the goopy eyes and general irritation you mentioned....it may be an allergy but I would worry about rhespiratory bugs..

Good luck and let us know how you make out...
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old March 27th, 2011, 09:48 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I agree about the checkup--and if you can at all afford thyroid panels and blood screens, I think it would be a very good investment.

The food change is certainly worth exploring, but if they don't show some improvement or get any worse please find a way to take them to the vet for a checkup.

Welcome to the board, btw. Keep us posted on how your dogs are doing!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 27th, 2011, 11:55 AM

Thanks for the ideas. I was not specific about the vet. I am going to take her for a check-up thats needed for sure.I wanted to gain some knowledge as to what it is and potential ways to fix it. I just wanted to have an idea before hand because my previous vet was not the best,or most cost effective. Now that I believe I know what it is there is a better chance to catch it faster,and not waste money on meds. Half the time the dogs dont need them. It can be solved by organic,and home remedies.

As for the thyroid and blood tests,I do not believe I need them done.Im about 80% sure its the diet.I will get it done if the change in food shows no progress. I lived on my own with just Lola for 2 years,she did not have many of the symptoms,and I had her on a very good food(nutram). When I made the switch to a cheaper food (pedegree healthy vitality) I noticed she got more of the symptoms. Then when I moved back home most of her vomiting stopped. I changed her food once back home to what Bruin ate(iams adult) hes been on that since we had him. Now it is once in a blue moon. But then her hair on her back right side started thinning,she does not lick her coat either. My family dog back at home even before I got Lola always licked his paws and had ear infections/itchy ears,and the vet told us its most likely allergies. Thanks for all of the feedback and help. I will keep everyone posted,im going to pick up a bag today.

Last edited by Brandon W; March 27th, 2011 at 12:09 PM. Reason: more info
Old March 31st, 2011, 10:20 PM

I took her to the vet before changing her food. He said it doesn't seem to be allergies,because she is not scratching or licking. He believes its thyroid related. The test was 150.00 plus tax. So expensive,it might not even be the problem. We switched the food of the dogs to a non grain,and different meat. It will solve the family dogs issue,and help my dogs coat to replenish. Just waiting for the test results now.
Old March 31st, 2011, 10:47 PM

Glad you got her in for a check-up I hope your vet is on the right track so you can get treatment started and help her feel better. How long until the tests come back?
Old March 31st, 2011, 11:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Brandon, some of Lola's symptoms sound like my hypothyroid sheltie. His coat thinned right out, bald patches with pigment changes, a thin whispy rat tail, and very solidly FAT.
Old March 31st, 2011, 11:46 PM

They said about a week. He is almost sure its thyroid related. I hope he is right. Cause she has no other symptoms.I dont want to spend a lot of money diagnosing it.She has huge nipples,like abnormal lol, dont know if thats related,she has not been bread, but sounds like it could be related to tyroid. No clue,I just hope its inexpensive to treat. Their new foods main protien is fish so it will help her coat. Can you elaborate on the hypothyroid? like medical cost treatments ? just so i have an idea if it is that. It is mostly down the right side of her spine,with the heavier area that is bald at her rear,and she has a lot of flakes,or dandruff, She is not too fat,but she did gain at one point,we got her back down to a better weight after that. as for our blacklab im sure the change of food to no grain will help his irretations in his paws and ears,and stomach. we will see how he does on it,if hes good we will try the same one but with some chicken in it as well,its a little cheaper then the 3 type of fish plus grain is the problem most of the time for them. all human grade meats and fresh. as for treats,no commercial ones,or any of our food(they will hate me when we get pizza,they love the crust),we have a potatoe and fish treat tht we got,and we are gonna give veggies as treats,as well as peanutbutter with their kongs,but not till they are on the new food for a while. the fish treats are ok they have the same ingredients as their food. other then that he says she is in good health which i knew :P shes loved. Thanks again for the help,this is a great site. Glad i found it.

Last edited by Brandon W; March 31st, 2011 at 11:47 PM. Reason: forgot my thanks
Old April 1st, 2011, 01:28 AM
Senior Contributor

For my dog it is just a single tablet daily, Brandon , not expensive, but worry about that when you get the result back. I don't know what size dog Lola is. If she does have an underactive thyroid she will need lifelong treatment most likely but I can tell you this, my dog went from looking a fright to having the most beautiful coat once he was put on the treatment, it was amazing.
Old April 1st, 2011, 11:36 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We have three hypothyroid dogs, Brandon, and the treatment is quite inexpensive. Depending on what the dosage needs to be, you might have to pill twice daily (we split the dose and administer with their morning meals), but it's pretty easy to do.

I hope the vet is right, too, and it's her thyroid.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 1st, 2011, 12:08 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

BrandonW if your interested I have a pdf cookbook for both cats and dogs....you could make your own healthy treats let me know and I will try to post it or email it...
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old April 1st, 2011, 04:57 PM

Yeah for sure id be happy to check the recipies out,my sister would be interested in that. She is becoming a chef in school. Good to know treatment is inexpensive if this is her problem. She had a great coat. My email is <edited out personal email--pls PM the OP> thanks again,ill let everyone know about the results as soon as I get them.

Last edited by Blackbear; April 1st, 2011 at 05:28 PM. Reason: No personal emails, pls. Information may be PMd to OP.
Old April 1st, 2011, 06:36 PM

Hi Brandon,
I just sent you a PM with a dog treat recipe that my boys absolutely love. Good luck!
Old April 3rd, 2011, 03:41 PM

Dog Food Update

Ive changed the dogs food to Acana Pacifica Grain Free. They loveeee it. They already seem to be showing signs of improvement. Not as much biting of the paws for Bruin. Both show some improvement in their coats too,as well as stool. Im glad I changed the food to something better,even if it might not be the cause of thier problems. My sisters dog refuses to eat the food that she has him on,its a brand thats petsmart carries. Ive told her that its no different then the iams i was giving Lola and Bruin.The first main ingredient is chicken meal,although its better then chicken byproduct meal its still not good. Her dog devoured his dinner not one kibble left(it was mixed with his usual food to introduce him to it) so thats another plus as well. Im going to be making their treats now, i got a recipe from sib.huskymom that has all the same ingredients as their new food.Im excited to try it. Never thought about making their treats or food. Holistic treats are so expensive! 6$ for a small bag and all three dogs are almost 2/3 through it.
Old April 4th, 2011, 06:24 PM

Enjoy baking! Your house will probably stink to high heaven thanks to the fish

A little tip - the bulk barn should be your new best friend. Stuff like potato flour is a third of the price compared to a regular grocery store. And you can always grab a few treats for yourself while there.

Glad to hear things are going well!
Old April 4th, 2011, 06:52 PM

Haha my parents are not gonna be happy with me then. I loveee fish they dont only because of the smell in the house if you cook it. I dont find it that bad. Yes ive just realized this today that grocery stores dont really have flax seeds or potato flour. Works out for me haha,I never leave there without something for myself haha. I got an email about the pdf cookbook,im not sure it worked. I can not open the file. I think this is locked(the file) did you purchase it online and get the copy like that ? Its a broken file,so yeah not too sure how to open it.
Old April 4th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Brandon I will try to copy it over and send it again...give me a bit of time though! lots of great recipes to try..
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old April 4th, 2011, 09:07 PM

No problems,thanks I appreciate it. Take your time. The one I have right now is going to start me off,needs to be same ingredients to determine my labs allergie. But ill be able to use the rest on my other two,then Bruin once hes diagnosed. Im going to bulk barn tomorrow and going to try my first batch haha!
Old April 5th, 2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sib.HuskyMom View Post
Enjoy baking! Your house will probably stink to high heaven thanks to the fish

A little tip - the bulk barn should be your new best friend. Stuff like potato flour is a third of the price compared to a regular grocery store. And you can always grab a few treats for yourself while there.

Glad to hear things are going well!

Picked up the potato flour and flax seeds,what kind of flax seeds do you use ? I got the pre gounded ones. Was not sure what kind to get,they had brown and golden as well. Got me some treats too haha. Going to pick up the rest of the stuff I dont have in a little bit. Going to try it out tonight,im excited as im sure the dogs will be too. Ive noticed with their new food and treats that they got some lovely fish breath haha,I hope these ones fix a little of that.
Old April 7th, 2011, 07:57 PM

Word from the vet

So the vet called,they got back the majority of the results and he suspects hypothroid. So he put her on a pill 2 times a day. This should help her now rebuild her coat and levels of chemicals shes missing.
Old April 8th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Senior Contributor

That's great, Brandon, because that's easy to treat. She should start to improve quickly.
Old April 8th, 2011, 08:53 PM

Thats good,i hope so. her food and the new cookies are doing her coat wonders. she is already softer and less flakier lol. Now all we need is those patches to fill up :P
Old April 8th, 2011, 09:17 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

That is good news, Brandon! It really is easy to treat, and most dogs respond quite well. Ours had blood tests a few months after they started the pills to make sure the dose was right, but after the thyroid levels came up to where the vet wanted them, the dogs only have to go in once a year for a retest.

Old April 8th, 2011, 09:23 PM

yeah they were explaining that. They want to see Lola in a month to test the levels again and see how she is improving. Cant wait for her coat to be nice again,thts all shes missing lol other then that shes gorgeous. Ill get a pic of her doing her trick with the new treats I made them. Ill try to get Bruin in on it as well. Im still teaching Gus how to wait with a cookie on his nose. He almost has it down.

I must say your pack is gorgeous ! And hugeee haha :P
Old April 9th, 2011, 02:12 AM

Hi Brandon, so glad to hear Lola is improving!!! Before I knew about his allergies, Whistler had a terrible coat (he was also very stressed too), my Mom always said he looked like Swiss cheese...it's so nice to see their coats turn nice eh!
Keep up the good work!
Old April 9th, 2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reanne View Post
Hi Brandon, so glad to hear Lola is improving!!! Before I knew about his allergies, Whistler had a terrible coat (he was also very stressed too), my Mom always said he looked like Swiss cheese...it's so nice to see their coats turn nice eh!
Keep up the good work!
Yeah im so glad it will come back. She had such a gorgeous coat,she had very little hints of brindle down her back and the sun would hit it,it would almost sparkle. Cant wait till its back to that haha ! Seems all the hair she did lose was most of the bown hairs. Thanks!