Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 7th, 2007, 08:34 AM

my dog doesn't drink much water?!

Hi, my shih-poo Bailey, is 10 months old and since we got her at 10 weeks, I've noticed that she hardly drinks any water. I take her for a two mile walk 3 times a week-she pants the whole way (not heavily) so I kind of expected when we got home she would go right to her water bowl, but doesn't! I feel that she only drinks a very small amount, as I am home most of the day and don't see her drinking. She shares a water bowl with the cat, so I can't be sure how much our cat is drinking. Is there anything that is healthy that I can add to the water to entice her to drink a bit more? thanks for help!
Old May 7th, 2007, 08:41 AM

I didn't think my pup was drinking enough, so we put a small water dish in the living room where he plays all the time with us... we tucked it just under the edge of the couch so it wasn't in the middle of everything but was close enough for him to stop and have a drink when he was playing. I think sometimes he just forgets about the water in the kitchen! I'm not sure if he actually drinks more, but we see him do it, so we feel more comfortable with how much he's taking in. It does seem as though when he sees it, he's more likely to have a drink, rather than having to stop and run into the kitchen to get some. Out of sight, out of mind, I think. We also take him right to his water dish after we've been out for a walk, and he drinks while we're standing there - otherwise he tends not to bother.
Old May 7th, 2007, 08:56 AM

thanks for reply! I also walk over to her water bowl after our walk, I actually tap on the side and try to coax her over, but she's not interested. We have an open concept livingroom, kitchen, so its visible all the time. I was trying to think of something healthy I could add to entice her to drink more but can't think of anything. I once tried the water I use to steam vegetables-she did drink it, but then I read on a thread that you shouldn't do that. I'm at a loss, and I'm sure it would be much healthier for her to drink a bit more.
Old May 7th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Senior Contributor

My Eskimo loves to have a drink when I do - so if I pour some from my bottled into his dish as I am drinking he will drink too. He also LOVES to take a drink - I think it is a nervous habit - just before he goes on a walk. I was also concerned he wasn't drinking enough and then spoke with another Eskie Mommy who thought same - and found drinking together made a difference.