Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old May 5th, 2018, 01:55 AM

Unhappy I’m in desperate need of help with my aggressive lab!

Hello first time posting! I have a year old chocolate lab and my husband and I give him loads of love and attention so I don’t get why he’s becoming so aggressive. This started happening a couple months ago and I have no idea how it started and if it’s too late to stop this! Example, he sleeps on our bed with us but at the end. He tries to sleep at the top and that’s when I move him down and as soon as I touch he he starts growling and going to bite me. And not a I’m going to bite you but not clench down hard he goes hard and it’s insanely scary. What are some things I can do? I’m due in August so this aggression needs to end. HELP
Old May 5th, 2018, 07:35 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Your dog needs obedience training big time.
None of these problems seem huge, but you need someone with hands on experience to show you how to be boss.

Make your dog work for everything.... no free food lying around.... make sure your dog sees YOU are the food giver. Feed your dog AFTER everyone else.

No Toys lying around - EVERYTHING belongs to you.

And a dog that consistently ends up growling in your bed...... That should end today. Get your dog a 30 dollar bed/sofa from Walmart - put a tshirt with your smell in it, That's his new bed.

These are just basic ideas I'm throwing out....but you need a pro for a short while. Things will only become more topsy turvy as the due date approaches.

Group obedience training from a place with good reviews shouldn't be too expensive - and will be the best investment you'll make for your dog.

Good Luck!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old May 5th, 2018, 01:10 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Ditto what Marko suggested!

We also went through this with our first setter. It's very stressful, but hang in there.

Obedience training is a must. Giving your dog a job might also be helpful--if there are agility or tracking programs near you and you have the time to invest, sign up! Exercises both the mind and the body, and a tuckered dog is always a good thing.

If the behavior persists, start looking around for a good behaviorist. Your vet might be able to give you some recommendations, but do some homework and check out any names. (Not all behaviorists are equal--you're looking for one with a proven track record on aggression and who uses methods that you agree with.) Ask lots of questions before making your decision.

Please keep us posted on how you get on.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 21st, 2018, 05:54 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm late but, this is a symptom of low thyroid. Hypothyroidism is fairly common in dogs. Any change in behaviour or other things like movement, warrants a Vet visit. Training too of course, is always a good idea.

https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/is...m_15723-1.html

Tags
aggressive, labrador training