Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old October 19th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Dog Uses Bath Drain To Breathe Amid Fire

I thought this was pretty amazing:

Miracle: Dog Uses Bath Drain To Breathe Amid Fire
Long Island Pooch Jumped Into Tub, Closed Curtain As House Burned Down
Featured Slideshows:
World's Most Bizarre Deaths
Best Movie Bloopers
Openly Gay Celebrities
Jessica Simpson From Then To Now
Reporting
Jennifer McLogan
FARMINGVILLE, N.Y. (CBS) ―

A Long Island dog-turned-MacGyver is making Lassie look like any other ordinary pooch. That's because Jackson, the massive 150-pound Newfoundland, somehow escaped harm during a house fire by jumping into a bathtub, pulling the curtain closed, and using the drain to breathe fresh air.

Jackson's owner, Debbie Credidio, nearly lost her best friend when her Farmingville home caught on fire while her 74-year-old mother, Marcia Kaye, was there.

"I said, 'The dog's in the house, but I couldn't get to where the dog was,'" Kaye told CBS 2.

The rest of the family was at work, but frantically rushed home to a chaotic scene. "I came here, and the house was in flames full of smoke. I tried to get dog out, calling him -- I honestly didn't think the dog had a chance," said James Credidio.

Farmingville firefighters quickly arrived and made a final sweep through the house, and that's when they found Jackson in the bathtub.

"How he ever decided to go to where he went, it's amazing he did the right thing at the right time," said Fire Commissioner Norman Neill.

Firefighters were astounded to see that the dog somehow figured out that the drain would allow him to breathe.

"He's a big dog, about a 150-pound Newfoundland, and how he got in there and pulled the curtain closed -- it's the smartest thing. I don't know what kind of training he had," joked firefighter Jerry Curtin.

Whatever it was, Jackson's training was textbook -- right out of the firefighter's manual. A common mantra says to duck below the smoke if you run out of oxygen and find fresh air wherever you can. Jackson was literally inside the bathtub, sucking the air out of the drainpipe, an "old school thing" that a firefighter would do.

"An hour later they pulled the dog out and it was like a miracle," James Credidio said.

The Credidios were more than thrilled to have their playful pal alive and well, even though the fire did its damage and the family had already just gone through tough times.

"If we would have lost him, it would have been like losing another piece of our family. We lost our dad last year, he was his best friend," said Jessica Credidio.

After losing her husband, Debbie Credidio says Jackson has just brought a little bit of happiness back into her life. "He's a smart dog, he went in bathtub and sniffed the drain and made it out alive. I love my dog," she said.

Word is spreading around the Farmingville community about Jackson's intelligence. The entire neighborhood hopes to honor the heroic pooch with an award for "valor under duress.
Old October 20th, 2007, 01:05 AM

definately one smart & lucky dog

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old October 20th, 2007, 01:09 AM
-

wow ~ who said only cats have nine lives !
Old October 20th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Senior Contributor

I was amazed. Heck, I would never have thought of doing that!
Old January 10th, 2008, 10:19 AM

Not True!

The report that aired on CBS about this "smart dog" is untrue. I am a Fire Marshal in charge of Fire Prevention Education for 5 towns. The account of the dog breathing out of the drain is impossible due to plumbing standards which require a "P" trap that prevents air or fumes coming into the home. My office believes this report sends a very dangerous message that is based on speculation. I've had several young children tell me that they would do just what the doggy on TV did. Please use common sense and get out of any building that is on fire and teach your children to do the same.

Wishing you a lifetime of fire safety

Fire Marshal Buzz
Old January 10th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Missing My Bubba Bear

Well, I'm in construction and plumbing in particular and it is in fact true. If you test it out yourself you'll see. don't forget that some people have septics and some don't.
just like bugs crawl in and out so does air.

are you form ny?

you do make a really good point on getting the hell out of the house if it's on fire though.

I've been in a fire and it was no freaking joke. we managed to put it out before the fire dept even got there but if it took a turn for the worse, my sister and I had one eye on the door to run like we were on fire.