Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old July 14th, 2009, 09:54 PM

questions about the weimaraner

I have been looking to get one of these dogs. I am looking for a bigger guard dog type dog and something with a mild temperment. Does anyone have any experience with these dogs? I am ok with an active dog. Are they close to a lab temperment wise?
Old July 14th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Senior Contributor

NO!

While wonderful dogs - they are very much an active dog. And they are hunting dogs that were built for speed and to have an excellent nose. Generally, not a breed for a novice owner. (Not saying you are a novice - I don't know you.)

The only ones that I have seen that are good guard dogs were not well socialized beasties and they were simply aggressive, not protective.
Old July 14th, 2009, 10:09 PM

Well, I wouldn't condsier myself a novice owner, I have experience with chihuahuas and labs. My lab passed away and I am looking for a bigger type dog with the temperment of a lab. Active dogs don't bother me as i am very active myself. I have 2 children I have to take into consideration also. I really love labs and have had them my whole life but I would like to get with a different breed. Do you have any recomendations? Because I have small dogs and children I would like to get a dog as a puppy. I am not going to get a new dog till around spring so i have lots of time to research.
Old July 14th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Garden nut

Do you just want a barker that will alert you to trouble?

My girls bark at anyone they don't know, even if they are across the street. They even come and "tell" me something is up and I gotta follow them to see what's going on. They are both retriever/retriever mixes (golden/lab I think).

I used to know a family with a Dalmation. While it was a gentle dog, it REALLY worried about kids and would pace around the swimming pool. And he was sensitive to one child's diabetes. I guess that's sort of a guard dog.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old July 14th, 2009, 10:27 PM

I would like a dog that will alert me to some one being around and protect the kids and myself as my husband works 12 hour night shifts and I feel safer with a bigger dog in the house. My chi's are not yappy and don't care if anyone is knocking at the door, so even though they are considered "yappy little dogs" mine only yap if you enter my house and dont' pet them. I don't want a dog that will just go and attack everyone who enters my yard. I have grown up with labs since I was 3 and I just love their temperment and the way the protect and how they get along great with kids and other dogs. I have been looking into dalmations too. But I have been reading that they get very jealous. But with proper training that could be corrected. Maybe I should just stick with labs?
Old July 14th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Garden nut

Well, just my opinon... But I'm not too fond of the idea of a dog that will just attack anyone. Bark yes... chase yes... corner, probably. But not to kill or injure unless physically protecting you or a family member from harm.

Long time ago, when I still lived at home as a teen, we had a Lassie type Bearded Collie. My dad has a shop built in the back yard with all his tools and stuff where he restores old cars, etc. Anyway someone I guess knew there were tools in there and wanted to steal. Bo was outside and we started hearing wild crazy barking. My brother and I go out right away and see someone jumping back over the fence into the alley. We open the alley gate and Bo takes off, chasing whoever it was. He must have chased that guy about two city blocks and then trotted back home seeming really pleased with himself. I don't think he attacked, but just chased.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old July 14th, 2009, 11:38 PM

Well I agree, I don't want a dog that will attack and hurt someone. How are retrievers with childern? They seem similar to the lab in regards to the hunting and love for water.
Old July 15th, 2009, 04:06 AM
Senior Contributor

When I said active - I meant really active.

Retreivers are nice. And you really don't have to just go Golden. There are curly coated, flat coated and Chesapeake Bay retreivers. You can probably find a golden puppy in rescue - they are pricey if you get them from an ethical breeder.

Whatever you get, make sure you do your research so far as genetic issues, etc.
Old July 15th, 2009, 06:25 AM
Senior Contributor

I have a lab/shepherd mix that is wonderful with children (I run a city daycare) and is also wonderful about alerting me to anyone walking by, coming into the yard or knocking at the door, men back up quickly when she jumps up onto the door to look out the window to see who has the nerve to ring the bell, she's large and black, usually a deterant for strangers. (I hate the stigma that all black dogs are cross.....) but in this case it works well.
Old July 15th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I believe angeldogs has one, perhaps try to PM him??

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 15th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Geek Club CEO

I agree that Sheps make great family dogs and are natural "alarm systems"...they tend to bark when people come to the property/house. Maybe a nice shepherd mix from a rescue/shelter would suit your family well?

ETA: weims are gorgeous dogs but every one I've met has been CRAZY high-strung and stuck in high gear all the time. They require an incredible amount of exercise.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old July 15th, 2009, 12:06 PM

I am not against getting a dog from a rescue and have gotten all my dogs (except one) from a rescue. I would like to get a pup and have been on petfinder looking. I live right on the sault michigan border so it makes my search area a bit bigger. I have had some issues with wanting to adopt a dog from a rescue becuse i have a small child and chihuahuas. I am home about 90% of the time but that is a whole another issue.
Old July 15th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Rescues and shelters have pups too, not just adults.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 15th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Most of the shelters in that area, on the Michigan side, are high kill. Or, so I have been told. I bet if you watched and are patient, you could find a lovely pup in a shelter.
Old July 28th, 2009, 08:10 AM
banned user

My two cents.. The last thing I wanted was a yappy, barking dog when they hear something or someone. But what I did want was a dog that only reacts to something worth reacting to. I was also looking for a dog that would NOT back down in the event of break-in or my family's safety (pick your best scenario). The other side of the coin I wanted a complete softy, who loves kids, a little lazy (because I'm lazy) who doesn't require much exercise, and treats people and dogs with respect. Hence, the little lady Bullmastiff in my picture. . They were bred to hold a grown man without biting or mauling.

However - I do not recommend this dog to a novice, and I only recommend that potential owners do their homework, visit (reputable) breeders, and talk to people who own them.
Old July 28th, 2009, 08:56 AM
I'm a softy

I am particular to labs for damily dogs, so my advice will not be helpful! LOL. My lab is my first lab, and has been the ultimate dog for us, but I know it is because it is the dog we were wanting, and has the qualities we desired. Research all breeds. When you see something in rescue that perks your intrest, research on it, and meet it. I am sure you can find a dog with your desired personality in rescue, it doesn't have to be purebred to get the qualities you are looking for. greman shepards show up often in rescue and can be amazing family dogs, and be protective. I know what you mean about "guard dog" my husband is away a lot too, and my lab gives me comfort. She doesn't let people around that should not be there, but yet is so gentle, I get your meaning. Good luck with your search! Keep an eye on all that come into rescue I bet there will be one that would have the perfect personality for your family!
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Old July 28th, 2009, 10:23 AM

I grew up with a standard poodle female. She was my friend and companion and she was very protective of the family. I dont know how she would be in a situation if she ever faced one.... but she was very alert and always barked when someone was near the house or if she heared anything suspicious. Also, they are quite large and can look scary when they are all barking. She was a GREAT family dog.

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old July 29th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree with Bendyfoot re Weims being very high strung - I know someone with 2 of them - and they do need a lot of exercise. Both of hers are now suffering from leg issues - they do have very long legs. We have an American Eskimo - you could be absolutely certain that he would let you know if there is any danger and bark like a lunatic - and then hide behind you. The most protective dogs I have ever had were my 2 Alpha Dachshunds - all 10 lbs. of them - go figure. Dobermans in 10 lb. bodies - and actually Dobes and Dachshunds get along famously.
Old July 29th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Senior Contributor

I love Dobes, had two of them around children. People are sure leary around them, yet they are good with children. Like all dogs, children and pets should always be supervised no matter what breed.
Old May 24th, 2010, 10:05 PM

Weimaraners are a breed that you should research before you get one. They are extremely intelligent and loyal. I have a Weim that is 15 months and is an excellent guard dog. However, Weims do require an extreme amount of exercise. I take mine to daycare 3 days a week and to the park every sat sunday. He is still full throttle all day everyday. If you like the attitude of a lab, then a weimaraner may not be for you.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 08:43 PM

Haha this is kind of old but I did end up with a Lab/Chesapeake x. She is so wonderful. Everything I wanted in a dog. She has an amazing temperament is great with the kids, an all around good family dog but will perk up and perk her ears up if she hears anything out side. She only barks if I am home alone and someone is actually in the yard. I looked into the wrimaraner alot more and It just didn't fit into our lifestyle... I have a soft spot for labs and I don't think i can stray from this breed. Bella has been with us since sept of 09.