Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old October 11th, 2007, 02:57 PM

Question 4 to 5 CUPS?????!!!!!

Hey all,

I have adopted a LabX who weighs about 16kg and is about 16weeks old. He was eating Lindy's Orijen until I got to my fav pet food store today. I picked up Acana (same company as Orijen), puppy food and it says on the back that I should feed him 4-5 cups a day based on his weight and age!! Holy Crap!! Doesn't that seem like a lot of food. BTW, Lindy weighs about 35 kg and the Orijen bag suggests 2 3/4 to 3 3/4 a day but I feed her 2 cups a day and she is quite active and she is doing just fine. Whaddya think??
Old October 11th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Geek Club CEO

Jaida used to eat almost 4-5 cups a day when she was really little. Gotta feed those growing bods!!!

She's down to about 3 cups a day on Orijen (she's 11 months old and 50 lbs now), but our other dog (who weighs the same) eats only 1.5 cups a day (Jaida burns a lot more calories).

The feeding guides on bags are just guides. Use them as a starting point and then adjust up or down depending on body condition. Pups, though, can afford to be a little chunky, and you don't want to deprive them of the nutrients they need...
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old October 11th, 2007, 03:15 PM

Feeding Guidelines are based on calories per cup, so if you can find out how many calories are in what you were previously feeding, and then find out how many calories are in the Acana, you should be able to calculate what you really need.
Having said that I am sure that the calories are less in the Acana, and you SHOULD be feeding more I would think.
Old October 11th, 2007, 05:01 PM

How then can I tell that he is getting enough? I read in another thread Hazelpackrun's 3 point check, would that apply to puppies as well? What about poops? Is that another way to tell?

Hazelpackrun wrote:
""I use a three point test on our dogs to make sure they aren't getting too fat or thin.

First I check the backbone. You should be able to easily feel the spine without it being too bony.

The I check the points of the hip bone. They should be easily felt but not bony--you want a little padding, but not enough to make the bones feel soft.

Finally, I check the ribs--again, slightly padded is okay, but keep in mind that some dogs are just naturally ribbier than others. ""

Last edited by Freyja; October 11th, 2007 at 05:08 PM.
Old October 11th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Kitty pimp

when he burps? No seriously puppies like human toddlers will eat as lot of food
and the only way to tell what is too much is weighing and observing how they look. i would say 4- 5cups is about right Don't worry about wieght gain at this age That's for later
Old October 11th, 2007, 05:38 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

When Dazy was little she was eating Nutro and my trainer and vet both said 4cups a day was accurate measurement and colorie wise, but that a belly so small shouldnt hold 4 cups a day and that it was simply too much food quantity wise. So we switched to something she could eat less of but be just as full. She eats Orijen.

Why doesnt this dog eat Orijen like your other? Just wondering? Remember, less in, less out!

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old October 11th, 2007, 10:43 PM

Why is he not eating Orijen too? Dunno, same company, less money. Looking at the feeding guidelines it won't be long before they are eating the same food. Lindy just switched from Acana to Orijen. She doesn't care what she eats. She was a reserve rescue and would eat ANYTHING. It is her mummy that is a bit fussier. But the pocketbook has it's say too...
Old October 11th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyja View Post
Why is he not eating Orijen too? Dunno, same company, less money.
But if she's eating less of it, wouldn't it amount to the same?

I think HRP was referring to adult dogs. Perhaps she'll be here soon to clarify.
Old October 12th, 2007, 11:04 AM

Nope not less according to the feeding guidelines for Orijen puppy. Still 4-5 cups.
Old October 12th, 2007, 12:45 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Yep--that test works best for adult dogs...not so good for puppies, who will 'feel' different depending on age, but it's still makes a good check. At the very least, if you start doing the touch test now, you'll get a feel for what's right for your dog. When he gets old enough to move him to an adult portion, you'll feel him packing on weight and can adjust his intake.

You'll want to be feeding the "little" tyke multiple small amounts daily. It's been a long time since I've had a pup that young in the house, but 3 to 4 meals a day comes to mind, eventually cutting it to 3, and then 2 larger meals over the next year. Watch how he acts after he's eaten--does he act like his tummy is uncomfortable? If not, then feed him the recommended amount (broken up into smaller meals) to start with. If he starts putting on padding, he's likely getting too much. Usually, pups stay pretty lean on their own--they're so active, which I'm sure you've noticed.

If in doubt, have him checked periodically by a vet or a technician at your vet clinic. They'll be able to tell you if he's a proper weight!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 14th, 2007, 03:33 PM

I did a comparison chart of Acana Junior Puppy and Orijen Puppy. It does not transfer well into this site so if anyone is interested they can pm me and I can send it via email. It was interesting to do. Basically, as I already knew, Orijen is the better food. Based on raw food idea, more protein and no grain. Acana is not too bad considering alternatives out there.