Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 1st, 2012, 09:27 PM

Proin for dogs

Our border collie has a second UTI since March. Her ver has her on Ciprofloxacin for the infection, and Proin. She doesn't have any leakage, so I'm not sure why shes on the Proin (my husband took her to the vet, and never asks questions) Shes been doing a LOT of panting, and I looked up the side effects of both drugs. The Cipro seems okay, but the Proin can cause restlessness and nervousness. My question is, would excessive panting be considered nervousness or restlessness? I'm considering calling the vet and just keeping her on the Cipro, but I'm not sure if the panting qualifies as a side effect.
Old August 1st, 2012, 09:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindapalm View Post
Our border collie has a second UTI since March. Her ver has her on Ciprofloxacin for the infection, and Proin. She doesn't have any leakage, so I'm not sure why shes on the Proin (my husband took her to the vet, and never asks questions) Shes been doing a LOT of panting, and I looked up the side effects of both drugs. The Cipro seems okay, but the Proin can cause restlessness and nervousness. My question is, would excessive panting be considered nervousness or restlessness? I'm considering calling the vet and just keeping her on the Cipro, but I'm not sure if the panting qualifies as a side effect.
If she isn't leaking when there is no uti, there is no reason to be giving prion. Was a uti confirm via urinalysis with culture?
Old August 2nd, 2012, 06:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Call your Vet and ask questions before doing anything. Self medicating your dog is not advisable and self medication includes stopping a drug too soon, as well as giving one without Vet. advisement.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 12:44 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I would consider excessive panting to be restlessness or nervousness. Could be from either the Cipro or the Proin, though. Some of our dogs tend to pant and even pace when taking antibiotics.

Definitely give the vet a call and ask some questions. Like MaxaLisa, I'm not sure why the vet prescribed the Proin if there's been no incontinence. Out of curiosity, how much does your dog weigh and how much Proin was prescribed?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 2nd, 2012, 09:00 PM

MaxaLisa, she had a urinalysis done from a sample we took in. My husband is pretty clueless on what the vet about the Proin, something about since shes had two UTI's in the past couple of months the Proin will prevent bacteria from entering the urinary tract because it strengthens something (I told you he's clueless)

Longblades, I definately would leave it up to the vet about stopping the Proin, I just wanted to see if excessive panting could be considered restlessness, a side effect, before I called him. I thought so, but wasn't sure.

hazelrunpack, our dog is 13, weighs 44 lbs. and was prescribed 50 mg of Proin.

Thanks.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 10:41 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

If it turns out that there is a good reason for the Proin, you may be able to give it at a lower dose and still get a good result. We have two girls on it in about that weight range (45 lbs and 48 lbs) and one gets 25 mg/day, the other 27.5 mg/day. So you might be able to find an effective dose lower than the 50 mg that will give you all the benefit and none of the side effects. Definitely something to run by the vet, anyway.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 5th, 2012, 04:52 PM

hazelrunpack, are your dogs on Proin permanently or just temporarily?
Old August 5th, 2012, 07:21 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Permanently, for spay incontinence, lindapalm.

Old August 6th, 2012, 07:45 PM

I called the vet today, he said the Proin could be making her have excessive panting. He told me to only give her a half a pill twice a day for two weeks, and then give her a whole one. I have to take another urine sample to him in three weeks, and I'm going to ask him then why she's on Proin if shes not leaking.