Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 6th, 2010, 03:16 PM

Need good vibes

Well about a month ago I posted how my parents rescued a puppy. Well this weekend he got really sick. My parents took him to the vet and he was dianosed with parvovirus. They opted to treat him and so he is currently is isolation and he made it through the night. My parents are currently cleaning not only the house but the camp the yard the garage all my sisters thousands of shoes replacing all the area carpets and toys and everything. We are very optimistic that he is going to pull through. If anyone has ever been through this you know how hard and how expensive it is to have a vet bill from a dog in isolation.
Old September 6th, 2010, 04:02 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Sending for a complete recovery!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 6th, 2010, 04:07 PM

Sending the most positive vibes your way Maneater!!!! My heart goes out to all concerned! Hope we hear good news soon!!!!!
Old September 6th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

I can certainly relate to the vet bills. My heart goes out to your family and the pupper. Sending and that everything turns out well. The financial side can make an already stressful situation so much worse

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old September 6th, 2010, 11:38 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

for the little one.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old September 7th, 2010, 06:41 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Sending lots and lots of .

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 7th, 2010, 09:43 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Any news, maneater?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 7th, 2010, 09:54 AM

well today they said that tomorrow they are going to try to feed him soft food to see how he tolerates it. About a week ago he did escape and they found him in an area where people were selling puppies who were infected with the virus we are assuming that is how he contracted it??? But he was also at the park and stuff to so who really knows. he is getting better which is important. No one had any real hope that he was going to make it through the first night. So hopefully he tolerates the food and can come home soon. Poor guy has had such a rough start in life.
Old September 7th, 2010, 09:57 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

One day at a time! Sounds like so far, so good! I hope he eats well!

Old September 7th, 2010, 10:04 AM

I am just really happy that none of my dogs got it. Mind you all dogs were vaccinated against it. My parents dog was late on his vaccination schedule due to the circumstances surrounding him being rescued. Maybe his immune system wasn't as strong? or maybe exposure was to soon after the vaccination?
Old September 7th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Sending good vibes and positive attitude he will make it and be strong.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old September 7th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Good vibes coming your way.. I am so sorry to hear that this has happened. Puppies are so vulnerable to viruses and it is difficult to pinpoint where it comes from.

Thinking of you and a special prayer coming your way.
Old September 7th, 2010, 10:07 PM

Thanks for the update!! So happy he is holding his own. More good vibs heading their way -------->
Old September 7th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

More good vibes coming your way. for a positive outcome

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old September 8th, 2010, 06:45 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Sending more his way.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 8th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Bless your parents for rescuing him and deciding to go ahead with the expense of treating him now. They are all in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy and full recovery.
Old September 8th, 2010, 03:49 PM

Well he is home now!!!! They let him come home today. He is eating only 2 tablespoons of soft food every 3 hours, he is still not very active at all but you really can't blame him. Between my parents myself and my other sisters we are going rotating taking care of him while people are at work, ect so he is not alone. I even bleached my entire house/yard/car washed everything just in case anything was picked up and brought to my house. My parents were told to pick up his droppings right after and then bleach the spot right away. Their poor lawn LOL it is a good thing it is almost fall anyways LOL. But I am just so happy that he was home. They almost lost him the second night he was in isolation. The vet also told them he could have heart problems or liver problems as he gets older. Poor guy. He sure is a fighter though. I think he is milking it for all the extra hugs and cuddles. It ended up costing them 3000 for 5 days in isolation plus his take home meds. But i guess he is like a kid to them. You don't put a price tag on your kid health do you?
Old September 8th, 2010, 07:10 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by maneater View Post
Well he is home now!!!!

so glad to hear this !!

It ended up costing them 3000 for 5 days in isolation plus his take home meds.
holy crap ! I wish vets would be more considerate ! This pup is lucky your parents were willing to pay this amount. Many people would have had that pup put down because of $$$. so kudos to your parents !
Old September 8th, 2010, 08:41 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I'm so glad he's getting better! for a quick recovery now that he's at home and happy again! Bless your parents for being such generous souls!

Old September 9th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Senior Contributor

How old is he?

Our girl got parvo at 6 months of age. She was fully vaccinated, it can happen. We nearly lost her, she was at the Vet's for 5 days and on intravenous 4 days. She did recover and went on to live a full, active, healthy life for over 14 years, which is good for a Lab. I don't remember the cost. It was in 1993. But it was a lot with all that time at the Vet's.

We were so happy to have her home and alive that's all we thought of but in hindsight I wish I'd investigated whether the manufacturer of the vaccine would come good for any compensation, since their vaccine did not work. Maybe you might want to think about that.

Very best wishes to you and the pup. Sounds like he is on his way to recovery.
Old September 10th, 2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
holy crap ! I wish vets would be more considerate ! This pup is lucky your parents were willing to pay this amount. Many people would have had that pup put down because of $$$. so kudos to your parents !
They told us already that he is our birthday and Christmas presents And we are ok with that. I went over there yesterday to find my 23 year old sister in his crate with him sleeping. He is up to 3 table spoons of food every 3 hours now and it is a good thing my parents tried to fatten him up when that got him because he was so skinny then. He is still very skinny but starting to put on some weight.
Old September 10th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by maneater View Post
My parents were told to pick up his droppings right after and then bleach the spot right away.

Our lawn is the same! Oh well, just gives us a reason to do some "real" landscaping next spring

Poor guy. He sure is a fighter though. I think he is milking it for all the extra hugs and cuddles.

Awww... I'm sure he is! Nothing wrong with that!!

It ended up costing them 3000 for 5 days in isolation plus his take home meds. But i guess he is like a kid to them. You don't put a price tag on your kid health do you?

Ouch... bless your parents for taking such good care of this baby. They are
As others have said... most would have put him down
And nope, you can't put a pricetag on love!!
I'm SO glad to see he is home and well on his way to recovery. that he doesn't have any lasting health issues. I was afraid to look, but I'm glad I did!!

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old September 10th, 2010, 09:17 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Weight gain is good! Lucky guy to have such a loving family!!!

Sending more