Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 5th, 2009, 09:43 PM

Taking fur"babies" a bit to far?

Before I start off I would just love to say that I love my furbabies and treat them no less them my own human children. I also love everyone elses furbabies and believe that all animals deserve to be treats no les then perfect even though some animals annoy me when they bark at my door I still love them all which brings me to my rant/question? I know alot of people who's animals are their "babies" and take them everywhere, this being said do you think it is ok to take your dog into a subway with you while your ordering a sub? I understand that service animals are an exception, but to bring your poodle into a subway while you order is a bit much. Or taking your little dog in your purse into a grocery store? Or what about having a dog in a doggie stroller and bringing it into a restaurant then when managment asks you to take the dog out the owner(of the animal) flips out? I have seen all three and I dont think it is right. Then last night I was watching a show were people own monkeys and do the same thing. I have 2 small dogs and I take them with me to places like the pet store or to my work, but I don't take them into public places with me. I personally feel it is disrespectfull to other people to bring my dogs with me like that. I don't know, I just got into an argument about the same thing with some one. What are your opinions? I know alot of people turn a blind eye to people bringing small dogs into stores but would flip if they brought their pet doberman with them.
Old October 6th, 2009, 01:45 AM
WOOOOF!

I completely agree with you maneater. People with small dogs get too much slack. (no offense) I don't think any animal should be brought into somewhere that foods involved. If you were to bring any big dog into a place thats not regularly a dog friendly place people would not be happy. And I don't like how people don't care about a small dog yapping, but when my dog yapps he looks "viscious and dangerous" yet hes only barking cause he wants you to come over and say hi.

Akira: Boss lady.
Adam: 110 pound lapdog.
Maximus: Shy guy, but will lick your face off.
Kitty: "PET MEEEEE"
Tig: Chillen.
Old October 6th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Senior Contributor

It's easier to get away with taking a small dog with you anywhere, since you can put them in a little carry bag. The thing is, if you are out and maybe going to the pet store or running other non food related errands, what do you do if you have to stop off at a Subway or another food establishment. You can't very well leave your dog in the car. If you have a large dog, sure you can tie them outside for a couple of minutes, but if you have a small dog in a bag, you have no choice but to take them with you.

Honestly, I've got no issues with it really. I don't care if someone brings their pet into a grocery store. It's not like the dog will be licking the fruits and veggies, and the rest of the food is packaged. As long as your dog is well trained. I've seen plenty of people in the grocery store that I'd question their sanitation more than a dog.

As for restaurants, I would mind a bit inside only because I am allergic to dogs and cats (I've gotten used to mine). But, if you are sitting at an outside cafe or something, again, I have no problem. Heck, if I had a dog I'd be one of those sitting out there with them.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old October 6th, 2009, 12:59 PM

I totally agree with maneater. I get really frustrated with people taking their pets into grocery stores/restaurants. Yeah outside cafe, thats a different story, but into the grocery store? Inside a restaurant? There are people out there with KILLER allergies, and yeah you come accross all kinds of alergins out there, but I just think its a little wrong to bring your pet INSIDE a grocery store or restaurant. I know that if I plan on running errands and its going to take me a little long, I am going to assume I want food, and so I will leave my "furbabies" at home, not that Bennie would EVER be allowed into a store (bull in china shop syndrome lol) but My little Loo Loo, I would totally take her on short errands, but never into food places...ick lol
Old October 6th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

As long as you pet is well behaved, I don't have a problem with it and I don't think it is harmful. I think it brings a smile to many faces and gives distraction to children who are bored.

In Europe, there were many restaurants that I have been in where dogs were permitted. They were well behaved, well just really slept.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey

Last edited by Love4himies; October 6th, 2009 at 01:32 PM.
Old October 6th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Senior Contributor

I will start by saying what is your dog doing in a bag does it not have legs to walk on? I will admit it used to make me really mad when I would have to leave Buddy outside a store and I walk in and there is a small dog in there but my dog is not allowed in. Even though Buddy was an incredibly well behaved dog. I do not feel dogs or cats should be allowed in establishments where there is food. It is different in my own home I have eaten enough dog hair that it does not gross me out. But if I was not a pet owner that would surley not make me want to eat or shop at that businesss again. I have no problem with outdoor cafes, but indoors no way. Weather you carry your dog or not they should not be in these places, or if they are allowed than all size dogs should be allowed. But this is an issue for the health departament.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old October 6th, 2009, 01:33 PM

I know that their are some stores that are animal friendly and allow animals to shop with their owners and out door cafes that allow animals. I have no issues with this and if we had a place here I would take full advantage of them. I have found a huge difference when I take my chi's out and when I take my lab out. I have mentioned in another thread that people will just run up to my chi's but my lab they don't even bother with her. She is the biggest lover ever. I kind of feel bad for her sometimes. I just think it is more of a respect thing for the non animal lovers who just want to go to a resturant and enjoy a steak with out fido peeking up from a purse. I thnk that every city should have a dog/cat friendly shopping area and resturants and an indoor dog walk for people who live in cold snowy climates who need a place to walk their smaller dogs in the winter. Sorry it is just a bit off topic.
Old October 6th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Senior Contributor

If a small dog is allowed in a store, then a big dog should be allowed too. But I don't want to see any dogs in a grocery store or where food is sold. An outside cafe is fine.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old October 6th, 2009, 08:20 PM
~Cat Servent~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
Honestly, I've got no issues with it really. I don't care if someone brings their pet into a grocery store. It's not like the dog will be licking the fruits and veggies, and the rest of the food is packaged. As long as your dog is well trained. I've seen plenty of people in the grocery store that I'd question their sanitation more than a dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
As long as your pet is well behaved, I don't have a problem with it and I don't think it is harmful. I think it brings a smile to many faces and gives distraction to children who are bored.

In Europe, there were many restaurants that I have been in where dogs were permitted. They were well behaved, well just really slept.
I really have no problem with people taking their pets into places with them, I admit it's not really fair to those with bigger dogs who get immediately asked to leave, but really I think that people's kids are much more unsanitary than most pets! I knew a guy that took his rat with him everywhere... that kind of creeped me out, but it was the sweetest little animal. I would like to think that most of these people who cart their little dogs around in purses, do it because they love their pet and want to be with them all the time.... and well that I can understand, I think if the cats liked it at all, I'd take them with me too. But could you just imagine shopping beside a lady with 6 yeowling cats in her cart??

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old October 6th, 2009, 08:24 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover View Post
and there is a small dog in there but my dog is not allowed in.
yep , that I'm not ok with. If big dogs aren't allowed , small dogs shouldn't be either.
Old October 7th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdahmer View Post

I really have no problem with people taking their pets into places with them, I admit it's not really fair to those with bigger dogs who get immediately asked to leave, but really I think that people's kids are much more unsanitary than most pets! I knew a guy that took his rat with him everywhere... that kind of creeped me out, but it was the sweetest little animal. I would like to think that most of these people who cart their little dogs around in purses, do it because they love their pet and want to be with them all the time.... and well that I can understand, I think if the cats liked it at all, I'd take them with me too. But could you just imagine shopping beside a lady with 6 yeowling cats in her cart?? As long as I was allowed to say hello to them, I have no problem with that

I so agree, kids pick their noses, then put it all over the grocery cart, they handle the fruit and vegies (along with adults for that matter), they sneeze all over the place. Did you know that there has been fecal matter found in the grocery carts from kids with diapers

I would rather put up with dogs barking than screaming, spoiled kids.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 7th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdahmer View Post
:t but really I think that people's kids are much more unsanitary than most pets!
That reminds me of a time when I went into a Pizza Hut with some friends. There was a couple there with their kids, around 8 or 9 in age. Those kids kept going up to the salad bar, and picking at the food, with their hands. I got so angry I went to the manager. Sorry, I wanted salad, and it's unbelievably rude to just let your kids graze a salad bar.

Had that been a dog, chances are the dog would have been quietly sitting under the table or next to the owner, not walking around.

So yes, I'd have less a problem with a dog in a restaurant than kids. No offense to people with kids.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old October 7th, 2009, 07:45 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra_Queen View Post
If a small dog is allowed in a store, then a big dog should be allowed too. But I don't want to see any dogs in a grocery store or where food is sold. An outside cafe is fine.Debbie
In Montreal it is illegal to bring a dog OR cat into any establishment that sells food other then of course the working dog. A few weeks back while shopping in Old Montreal we found a cafe that allowed dogs, it was awesome and although my dogs didn't just sleep they were very well mannered, even Sushi the terror

Then again I take my dogs everywhere with me, so their very socialed, friendly and won't bother anyone who may otherwise not like them
Old October 7th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Senior Contributor

oh I do have to agree about how well behaved GG's dogs are...we also go to outdoor cafe's with brina and she sits or lays quietly under the table
Old October 7th, 2009, 07:53 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

but but Brina drools
Old October 7th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Senior Contributor

well that only adds to the shine of the floor!!!! and I don't even charge them for it!!
Old October 7th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Senior Contributor

in all seriousness, when I was first married i took my chi, cat and rabbit everywhere with me, they all fit nicely into my hunting bag purse, we went shopping, hiking, biking and yes, to restraunts, not many knew they were with me.
Old October 7th, 2009, 08:04 AM
An Honest Contributor

Seriously
Quote:
Originally Posted by maneater View Post
I have found a huge difference when I take my chi's out and when I take my lab out. I have mentioned in another thread that people will just run up to my chi's but my lab they don't even bother with her. She is the biggest lover ever. I kind of feel bad for her sometimes. Sorry it is just a bit off topic.
Since I've adopted my lil Chin I sooo know what you mean :sad: He's totally cute and gets all the attention and Brandi nothing. I've began saying and this Brandi my big goofie lovable golden
Old October 7th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Senior Contributor

I never take any of my dogs, big or small, places they're not allowed to go. But I do love taking the girls to Outdoor Cafes when permitted. They are very well behaved and sit quietly under the table or in their own chair. I do spoil them rotten and even order them something off the menu, LOL, like a hamburger without the bun or a hotdog without the bun and let them eat it after I'm done eating. Petey I don't bring to food places like outdoor cafes as he is a horrible begger. He won't disturb other guests, but he will disturb us while we're trying to eat. So I'm still working on him! But I've never brought any dog into a place that doesn't allow them and only bring them if they're well behaved. It personally doesn't bother me to see someone bringing their dog into a store, but I'm a rule follower so I don't do it. With that said, I don't really see too many people breaking the rules here. I've never seen someone bring a dog into a grocery store or indoor restaurant and only a few times have I seen a dog in a store like Target or Home Depot.

Here are some pics of my girls at outdoor cafes. They are my babies and are spoiled rotten, but we do follow the rules!

At this lovely place in Maine, dogs are welcomed in their outside garden. They even bring dogs their own fancy water glass! Here, they brought me an extra plate and I shared some of my chicken salad sandwich with Belle. See how nicely she sits at the table and eats it?

Nicely eating their ice cream at a Culvers.

They stayed under the table at this restaurant in Ohio and then got a hamburger to share at the end.

Nicely eating Belle's b-day cake.

You can see my two girls sitting nicely in the corner (both in blue cooling vests, not the dog jumping on me) on this patio restaurant in North Carolina.

So Petey is not left out, he does get special ice cream trips too.

Last edited by Smiley14; October 7th, 2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old October 7th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh, how cute they look with their little outfits! Smiley, I don't know anything about Boston Terriers, but is Jelly a miniature BT, do they exist? I ask because I notice she's a little smaller than Belle.

Old October 7th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Oh, how cute they look with their little outfits! Smiley, I don't know anything about Boston Terriers, but is Jelly a miniature BT, do they exist? I ask because I notice she's a little smaller than Belle.
LOL, yeah, they are spoiled rotten. Although, to my defense, Bostons only have a single coat and not a double coat so do not fare well in cold weather without a coat or sweater or vice versa in hot weather either because of their short noses. The pics from Ohio with the outfits are because we took an hour long open air ferry ride in 40 (F) degree, rainy weather. With the wind off the water and the rain, it was very cold! So they have on wool sweaters and rain coats, LOL. The light blue vests are actually cooling vests that you soak in cold water or put in the freezer and it keeps their core body temp stable and cool for up to 4 hours. That day, we were hiking several miles in 98 (F) degree weather in North Carolina and Bostons, like all short nose breeds, are very suspectible to heat. It's the only safe way for them to be out and about in that kind of weather. So they do serve a purpose.

No mini's for Bostons, the standard allows for 10-25 pounds. Belle is huge at 30 pounds and Jelly is average at 16 pounds. Both were puppy mill rescues so neither are to standard, but I don't care!
Old October 7th, 2009, 07:59 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley14 View Post

Nicely eating their ice cream at a Culvers.

I just noticed in that picture , the way they're sitting hind legs all weird , I guess it's a Boston thing

you're dogs always look so well behave , you do a great job at training them
Old October 7th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley14 View Post
No mini's for Bostons, the standard allows for 10-25 pounds. Belle is huge at 30 pounds and Jelly is average at 16 pounds. Both were puppy mill rescues so neither are to standard, but I don't care!
Ah okay. I do remember reading they were both rescues, but I didn't realize they were from puppy mills. Standard smandard. They're both dolls.

Old October 7th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Ah okay. I do remember reading they were both rescues, but I didn't realize they were from puppy mills. Standard smandard. They're both dolls.
LOL, Frenchy, I have no idea what's up with that!

Well, technically, Belle was born in rescue. Her parents were from a puppy mill in Texas and Mom gave birth about a week after being rescued. Jelly was from a mill in OK and lived in stacked cages in a barn. She was gross and stinky when I got her, had urine burns, has splayed feet, and we're still working on socialization issues. She does good when she's with Belle though.

Anyway, sorry for the