Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 1st, 2009, 07:18 PM

So I kind of rescued another cat. Need advice. *kind of long sorry*

Ok, so their was this white(ish) cat laying in the middle of the road licking itself this morning and we drove by and it didn't even move. So I made my hubby stop to see if it was injured or what not. The cat did not seem injured but he walked right up to it and it did not move. It meowed kind of sickly and strolled to the other side of the street. I was thinking I would go get a crate and try to catch it and bring it to a shelter or seomthing. I have never seen this cat around before. We have a few usual strays around here but never this cat. So we did our running around for the day came home like 4 hours later and the cat was laying on our front steps. So I gave the cat some food and water and it just gobbled it down. I am not for feeding strays but this cat was really thin, even under the fur all you could tell it was on the streets for a while and me having a soft hart i couln't let this cat not eat or drink anything. So it happly laid their and even let me lift up it's tail to see if it was male or female and to check out it's matted fur. (which is bad btw) We had to go out again and we came home and this cat is still in our back yard. Now we have 2 dogs and some kitties and this cat just didn't care. I got some more water for it and it came and took the water and I petted it and it started meowing and and getting really friendly. it was sad to pet it because It was just bone. I could feed every bone in that cats body. My chi's have more fat on them then that cat did. So my hubby (who 2 cats ago said that if I get anymore cats we would divorce) was feeling bad for this cat too. We decided that it would be best if we took the dogs kennel to the shed and set it up and housed the cat with food water and blanket and a litter box over night so we can get some advice from the vets tomorrow. I really wanted to bring that cat into the house but not knowing if it was diseased or had fleas or anything I didn't want to risk anything. So all while we were setting up the kennel and all that the cat just sat their and watched us. It even let me pick it up and put it in the kennel. It didn't try to fight or anything. So right now I have a stray cat in a kennel in my shed. Tomorrow I am going to the vet to see what I should do next. I plan on getting it shots, and checked out and then get it groomed. It looks like it is a white(which is currently brown) persian with blue eyes. My hubby didn't want me to take it to the humain society because he is scared that the cat will be put down. He wants to keep it too. I am willing to put the money out to pay the vet bills, get the cat fixed if needed pay for grooming everything. I have never rescued a stray cat like this, am I doing things right by keeping it in a kennel in my shed? Then taking it to a vet? I figured at least it will be warm and safe. I fully intend on making it an indoor cat once it is checked out and has its shots. I live near the country and saddly alot of people drive out here to dump there cats here. Any advice would be appreciated. I hope it uses the litter box. I think I will be up and down all night checking on it. We also have a ton of cyotes around here that have attacked full grown dogs in fenced yards. It is so sad right now for me because I just want to snuggle up to it all night long and it didn't do anything to deserve having to be kept in a kennel right now. Well my hubby is out their right now making sure it is ok. It looks to be an older cat, maybe 4 to 5 years old. I will post pics in a bit.
Old September 1st, 2009, 07:54 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I would definately keep it in the kennel! it can only keep him/her safe? were you able to tell the sex and or if it is intact?

You never know what he /she may have picked up along the way...even things like upper respiratory disease! maybe it belongs to someone and got out and cant find its way back home? but your probably right someone likely dumped it. I have heard that whites cats with blue eyes can be deaf? Im not sure where I heard that though..

Thank you so much for taking this poor kitty in..especially if it is skin and bones like you said! poor thing..he probably will enjot the kennel as it gives him a break and time to relax and the best part is someone is feeding him!

Cant wait to see pics!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old September 1st, 2009, 07:57 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Thank you for helping out this poor kitty.

agree, the kitty won't suffer being in a kennel overnight. It for the best of your resident kitties.

Can't wait to see pics.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 1st, 2009, 08:17 PM
Senior Contributor

So I kind of

Kudos to you and your hubby for caring enough to help out this poor kitty.
Old September 1st, 2009, 08:51 PM

I don't think it is deaf. Hubby said kitty kitty and it came. on a few different occasions. I did post some adds around and called the humane society to let them know I had the cat but they said they didn't have any missing cats matching the description. My closest neighbour is about 3 blocks away. And I have never seen this cat around before. Here are some pictures. I have decided to call the kitty snowball for now.

Old September 1st, 2009, 09:02 PM

I am really torn with this whole process. If this is someones cat and it happened to get out by accident or whatever and they are looking for it I do want them to have their cat back, but because of where I live and the fact that it is common for people to just dump cats out here I am willing to keep it and hopefully get it back to health. I just went out to check on it and it is just laying down dosn't seem stressed at all. Not making any noise even had my dogs outside. How long should I wait before someone claims the cat? Becuse it should of seen a vet like last week. I don't want to wait to take it to the vet but on the same note I don't want to put out $$$$ of dollars getting the cat groomed and vet visits and stuff But I don't want to watch it suffer. UGH I hate this. But I can't just take the cat and not try to find it's owner if their even is one.
Old September 1st, 2009, 09:08 PM
WOOOOF!

What a gorgeous cat, I hope hes nice and healthy. Make sure you post pics after the grooming!

Akira: Boss lady.
Adam: 110 pound lapdog.
Maximus: Shy guy, but will lick your face off.
Kitty: "PET MEEEEE"
Tig: Chillen.
Old September 1st, 2009, 09:11 PM
WOOOOF!

If it is somones cat don't you think if they were good owners they would have contacted the humaine society like you did? From the sounds of it the cat was dumped. I would just take it to the vet and make it a part of the family.

Akira: Boss lady.
Adam: 110 pound lapdog.
Maximus: Shy guy, but will lick your face off.
Kitty: "PET MEEEEE"
Tig: Chillen.
Old September 1st, 2009, 09:13 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I would be putting up posters at every vet's office, grocery store, banks, wherever you can post pics. You could still take kitty to a vet to be checked over. Just make sure if any owners show up to claim the kitty that vet costs are part of getting the kitty back. Is it a boy/girl? If it's a girl is kind of hard to tell if it's been fixed or not without putting it right out.
The crate is a great solution for keeping the kitty safe. Heaven knows I have used them for long enough. Thank you for caring.
Old September 1st, 2009, 09:32 PM

Well i posted some found adds on some local sites, drove into town and posted some signs in the grocery store and stuff. Didn't call any local vets offices since I use a vet office across the river in america (i live on a border city) I will call the local vets tomorrow to see if it was reported. But this cat has been out for a long time. The under belly of this cat is so matted and his hind area and legs are so matted she (i think) is having some problems walking. I want to take the cat to the vets and it might have to be put out to get some of the matting out of her. It looks so fluffy but the cat is so skinny and it has been drinking water like it is going out of style. I had some vitamins for my cat that go in the water and i put some in the water. Hope that helps it.
Old September 1st, 2009, 09:38 PM
Senior Contributor

So I kind

By going to vets you can check for a micro chip but I would be hesitant to return this cat to the owners considering how neglected it looks. Good luck at vets.
Old September 1st, 2009, 09:50 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by maneater View Post
Well i posted some found adds on some local sites, drove into town and posted some signs in the grocery store and stuff. Didn't call any local vets offices since I use a vet office across the river in america (i live on a border city) I will call the local vets tomorrow to see if it was reported. But this cat has been out for a long time. The under belly of this cat is so matted and his hind area and legs are so matted she (i think) is having some problems walking. I want to take the cat to the vets and it might have to be put out to get some of the matting out of her. It looks so fluffy but the cat is so skinny and it has been drinking water like it is going out of style. I had some vitamins for my cat that go in the water and i put some in the water. Hope that helps it.

Poor sweetie. :sad: There are so many scenarios as to what could have happened to the kitty. It could well have been dumped. It could also have escaped through an open door. I am sure we are all aware of how fast a kitty can get out. I sure am!! Once they are out they can disappear in a hurry. It's hard to say how long the owners may have looked for her. It's hard to say how long the kitty has been on its' own. That could account for the matted fur and the thinness/thirst. You won't know unless you try to see if someone tries to claim her. I know you will feel better in your heart and mind if you at least make an effort to see if someone is missing her.
Old September 1st, 2009, 10:12 PM

Yes I really do want to try to find the owners if they are looking for her. I have been going through lost and found adds on a few local sites looking back a few months to see if any lost kitties matching the description have been posted. Hubby is even on board. I know that if it were me I would want to have my kittys back. I know they can excape/run out after kids stuff happens. I am going to bring the cat to a vet tomorrow. It needs to be checked over no matter if I keep it or not. I keep putting myself in the other persons shoes. If my cat got out for weeks and some one helped it I would be so greatful. I hope the cat knows I am trying to help it and not punish it by keeping it in a kennel. It has some room to roam in it and Hubby went and plugged in the heater for tonight for the cat. I am so glad I married a cat hater.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 12:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi

I'm so glad that u and hubby stopped and picked the poor kitty up.

Because it looks like a purebred cat, I would be careful that if any people say it is their's that it really is and not just a person who wants a expensive cat. I know I probably sound harsh but I have seen a lot of bad things in the past few years and I guess I'm getting a little mistrusting of folks.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old September 2nd, 2009, 03:10 PM

So I got the cat looked at today and got it treated for fleas and some of the major matting taken out of it. Not groomed yet. It was very calm through the transporting and everything. Called the HS again today let the vets offices know about the cat gave them pics. So far nothing was reported. I am going to wait a few more days before I offically declair the cat mine. it is still out in the shed for now until I get some test results back from the vet. It is a girl and aparently the vet thought that it had a scar from getting fixed. It didn't even fight the vet at all. maybe because it is just to weak to care. I don't konw. oh well it used the litter box too a few time!!! so thumbs up to taht one
Old September 2nd, 2009, 03:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh, so Snowball is a girl! She is a beauty! Thank you so much for saving her! I agree, if no one comes forward in a few days, I'd be keeping her too!
Old September 2nd, 2009, 03:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Your thread states that you kinda rescued a cat. My friend, you did rescue the cat. There is no doubt that had you not done what you did, this cat would have died alone or had been prey to another animal.

Kudos to you and your DH. I wish this world was made up of more 'yous'. Bless you both. And speedy recovery to this beauty! . You are good people.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 04:14 PM
Senior Contributor

maneater,you and your"cat-hater"hubby more than likely saved this beautiful kitties life and I hope she gets to stay with you.
Like T-Q says,if someone calls saying the cat is theirs,I would request,pics or vet-bills as proof.
Thank you again,for doing a wonderful thing and I hope she is still healthy
Old September 2nd, 2009, 08:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

She's a beauty, maneater! Kudos to you and your 'cat-hating' hubby! Plugging in the heater for her! What a sweet guy you married!

Good luck with the kitty! I hope you get to keep her. Seems like she's going to win a few hearts and fit right in!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 2nd, 2009, 08:32 PM
I'm a softy

i would say you rescued a blue point himalayan! Beautiful cat! I cannot imagine no one looking for this beautiful girl. You sure did save her! You and your dh are both heros!
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Old September 2nd, 2009, 08:45 PM

Yes you are right. I am no expert in cat breeds. It is a himalayan. I figured it was a persian becuse of the face. The only breed of cat that I can tell from the rest is a manx. I hope the vet calls me back tomorrow with the results so i can bring her inside and take her to the groomer. My groomer won't touch her unless she has a clean bill of health, and I don't blame her at all. She seems to be more comfortabel with all the matting cut out of her. I think I might just get her shaved right down and let it grow in nice. I am kind of secretly wishing that no one claims her. I know that kind of sounds mean.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 09:22 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

Maneater, I don't know what vet you took her to, but I know that DR.P's office on Tilley Road had no missing cats of that discription. I was just there today.

for helping kitty out!!!
3+ cats......Surround sound
Old September 2nd, 2009, 10:37 PM

I went to the one on black road, the one on trunk road and the gt northern road one. Didn't know there was one on tilly road (don't even know where that one is) I always take my animals to the animal hospital across the ditch. I will call the one on tilly tomorrow.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 06:57 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Yup, she is a blue point pure bred himalayan and there is no doubt somebody is looking for this cat. Please keep looking for her owners.

She is a beauty. If she is not full of knots, then she has been well taken care of and has not been missing long.

My experience with himies is that they are more beauty than brains, so you taking her in has probably saved her life.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 3rd, 2009, 09:33 AM
Owned by Saints

My Flame point himalayan Louie will mat if he's not brushed daily. The back of his legs and armpits will start to tangle. I'm sure he'd look like a mess if he got outside. Plus Himi's are rather lazy when it comes to cleaning themselves.

So if she's been lost for awhile that would account for the knots. Doesn't mean she wasn't cared for prior to that.

Regardless though, I can see why you want to keep her. But if she was my cat I know I want her back. I'd keep looking for her owners.. if noone comes forward then I'd for sure keep her.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 09:48 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYne View Post
My Flame point himalayan Louie will mat if he's not brushed daily. The back of his legs and armpits will start to tangle. I'm sure he'd look like a mess if he got outside. Plus Himi's are rather lazy when it comes to cleaning themselves.

So if she's been lost for awhile that would account for the knots. Doesn't mean she wasn't cared for prior to that.
Yes, Puddles too can get knots overnight, especially in the summer when they are shedding more.

Himies tend to be timid so she may have been in hiding for a few days.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 5th, 2009, 11:06 AM

Wow! What a beauty! I agree with everyone here - you rescued this cat and very likely saved her life. Sounds like you're doing all the right things - try and find the owner and if no luck - enjoy your new fur-baby! Himi's are great! So full of love and personality!

"The Kids"
~Corkie - Tuxedo, at the bridge (probably hogging the sunbeam)
~Sparks - Calico, 15 yrs
~Jollip - Senegal Parrot, 13 yrs
~Yeti - Himalayan, 12 yrs
~Pepin - Silver Martin/Dwarf Rabbit, 8 yrs