Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 9th, 2015, 10:46 AM

Cat sling - anyone use one?

My first time posting so apologies in advance if this isn't in the correct group. Admins please move to correct category if necessary.

Background: We adopted a black med/long-haired cat from the pound in late June. (I will try and post pics later and get suggestions as to breed mix.) Male cat, neutered by the pound when we adopted him. He was 4 months old at the time. Neutering went well. He arrived home the day after neutering and within 2 days was showing signs of an upper respiratory infection. He was pathetic - so sick and sad. After a course of antibiotics, he recovered and has been a joy ever since.

He is the 6th cat I have had (5 rescues and 1 purebred). I have never had a cat that wants to 'hang' with me as much as this one. He can be very clingy - insisting on laying on my lap, or jumping into my arms - even trying to wrap himself around my neck. I love his 'cuddlyness', but it gets a bit much at times because I am trying to cook or do chores or .....

I was wondering about using a sling, similar to what I have seen mothers use with their human babies. My thoughts were that he could 'ride' around with me and yet I could still have my hands free. On the other hand, I don't want to feed into this behavior to make it worse.

Has anyone used a cat sling? Thoughts? Did it stop your cat from bugging you too much or did it make the behavior worse? Did you make your own cat sling? [I have seen instructions on how to sew a baby sling online.]
Old November 9th, 2015, 02:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Does your cat like to play with toys , maybe you could try to buy a toy to keep it busy while you're cooking etc. I wouldn't put him in a cat sling it would only made the cat feel more fearful of being alone. You can buy some
Feliway Comfort Zone Plug-In. I know a vet office that use something like this to help cats relax while seeing the vet and I was told it helps the cats relax.
Old November 9th, 2015, 05:10 PM

I think I will try a distraction technique as you suggest - either a toy or maybe a toy that I can put some kibble in so he has to work to get it out.

Not sure I want to relax him much more. He is not fearful or anxious. He is about the most calm and self-assured cat I have ever had. He mostly wants to be in the middle of everything, and once he is there, he just settles down.

I am a little worried that by carrying him in a sling, he will want more .... and more. He is so spoiled already.

Tags
cat, sling