Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old September 27th, 2010, 11:10 AM

Socializing a scared kitten

In my other threat i mentioned that my sister now has 2 kittens, brother and sister, 8 weeks old. She has had the male (simon) for 10 days now and he is very open to people (sleeps on her, plays with all of us, etc.) but his sister (sophie) has only been trapped as of a few days ago and she is not too keen on people (she hisses and spits). The kittens are good togehter though, playing a lot and running together.

Any advice on how to help her learn to trust people? I am hopign that she will gain our trust by watching her brother interact with us -- what else shoudl we do to help her?

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old September 27th, 2010, 11:15 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masha View Post
In my other threat i mentioned that my sister now has 2 kittens, brother and sister, 8 weeks old. She has had the male (simon) for 10 days now and he is very open to people (sleeps on her, plays with all of us, etc.) but his sister (sophie) has only been trapped as of a few days ago and she is not too keen on people (she hisses and spits). The kittens are good togehter though, playing a lot and running together.

Any advice on how to help her learn to trust people? I am hopign that she will gain our trust by watching her brother interact with us -- what else shoudl we do to help her?
For right now let her move at her own pace Masha. Your sister could engage her with wand type toys. Ones that are far enough away from her during play that the kitten doesn't feel threatened. After time I'm sure the kitten will venture closer. Ferals or cats born outside are a whole new ballgame when it comes to training. The word patience comes to mind. Believe me, you need tons of it!! In the end it will work out.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old September 27th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Yes, patience, patience and more patience and let her come to you. Some yummy food (raw may be best as that would be what momma was feeding) on your fingers shows the kitten you are their friend and surrogate momma.

Do you have an adult cat who is very friendly with kittens and to you? I have found that kittens will follow the lead of adult cats.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 27th, 2010, 05:52 PM

No older cat that can be a good 'role model' for behaviour just a little

I will let my sis know that she needs to be patient and let it happen. she is also now brough in those dangly toys on wands and will be using that.

Today sophie the kitten hid behind a bookcase in a hollow space that no one new existed... it took hours to find her... my sister was so freaked out....she just couldnt figure out where she could be... was so worried. but we found her when i reached in the hollow space at the bottom/behind the bookcase and heared a 'sssss' so alls well.

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old September 28th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I would try the food on the finger then. The goal is to show the kitten that you are her friend/provider/surrogate momma. She doesn't have to get too close and should be sitting on the floor. The kitten will smell the food and if her brother comes and eats it, that is fine, sister will be watching and learning . I have found with my fosters, who had a feral background, that was the easiest way to get them to trust me.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 4th, 2010, 03:20 PM

I have some experience socializing kittens. I found that female kittens were harder to socialize than males. I would borrow a large cage and put her in it. Put the cage on a table for easy reach. (If she is in a room she can hide under a bed). Then talk to her gently and have friends and family come over and pet her. The more people pet the kitten the better. I would only worry if the kitten was biting, but hissing and spitting is not a sigh of aggression. Good luck.