Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 17th, 2014, 04:58 AM

My dog has bad breath any solutions?

I have an 8 year old mix breed dog and he has bad breath, does anyone know any effective breath freshener?
Old September 17th, 2014, 07:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Is this something new for him? If so my first suspicion would be a bad tooth. Digestive issues might be a culprit as well. You would need to Vet him to rule that out. Otherwise, some animals have worse breath on the same food that doesn't seem to affect other animals, ditto people.

If there is not a health reason maybe a food switch would help but it can be a slippery slope if you start feeding a lot of new foods. You might set up a food intolerance and if the dog isn't sick now, he could become ill from too many new foods. If it's not too bad breath it might be better to just forego french kisses.

Our Jet used to eat disgusting things sometimes on canoe trips and we'd be stuck in the tent with her at night. So I carried breath mints. They didn't work very well and I'm not sure if it's a good idea to use them every day. Parsley is good for breath and it's in some treats. None of my dogs would ever eat raw parsley. Or mint, which I grow.
Old September 17th, 2014, 10:29 AM
Senior Contributor

If the OP decides to feed their new food they do it slowly buy adding a little to food the dog is eating now and increases the amount a little more for a few days so the dog can get use the new food. This will keep the dog from getting an upset tummy .
Old September 17th, 2014, 11:36 AM

If it's not a dental issue, then it's most likely food. What do you feed?

Are your dogs teeth white? Probably not if it has bad breath. Best toothbrush in the world for your dog is frozen meats and meaty bones. I say frozen because they really have to gnaw on it, and it cleans their teeth. We have 2 dogs here, 9 pound minpin and a 80 pound lab/husky cross, teeth are awesome and never bad breath - unless they've had frozen raw fish. Try your dog on some.

Cheap foods on the market today are just like junk food for humans. Try eating it day after day and see what happens to your teeth, gums and breath.

We switch the dogs food up all the time, from orijen to acana, different flavors, raw meats, never bugs them. They get tired of the same foods over and over. Dogs will eat pretty much anything any time.
Old September 19th, 2014, 01:45 AM
Senior Contributor

After eliminating dental or kidney issues, and if the food is a good quality food (no corn, by-products, etc.), then you might also try some probiotics.
Old September 19th, 2014, 07:42 AM
Senior Contributor

I forgot, I used an Orafresh product in the critter's drinking water for years. My Vet suggested it. It's supposed to help with breath and keep teeth clean. The dog and cat that had it longest both had very clean, sound teeth. One reason my 12 year old dog was still taken for a puppy is, I believe, because her teeth were so white. I stopped using it because of scary stuff on the internet about it having Benzene in it and the cat, who went on to live another 6 years without the stuff in her water, still had very good teeth. So maybe they both just had good teeth anyway.

Hmmmm, well isn't that interesting. I was going to post a link to the product I used and I cannot find one. Orafresh does make a pet dental care spray, you could google that up. Other companies make rinses too.