Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 7th, 2014, 07:45 PM

greyhound excessive drinking...no cause says vet

My 3 yr old greyhound has been drinking excessively for about 8 months now. We took her to the vet, ran a myriad of tests (ultrasound, urinalysis, bloodwork, even a water dep test) but no known cause to this. Vet has her on 5 cups of water per day, which I split 3 times daily. Otherwise, she is healthy. I think it may be psychological but want others opinions. I also feed both of my greys diamond naturals extreme athlete food due to its high protein content. Now I am wondering is that the cause to the problem? I have had her on regular diamond naturals in the past but just started the extreme athlete maybe 3 months ago. My other grey seems fine. My 3 yr old has definitely put on weight. I can change the food if that may be an issue. I have tried Proin...did not help. BTW, she has increased urination as well but the urine is very dilute even after the water dep test.
Old October 7th, 2014, 09:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisa1965 View Post
My 3 yr old greyhound has been drinking excessively for about 8 months now. We took her to the vet, ran a myriad of tests (ultrasound, urinalysis, bloodwork, even a water dep test) but no known cause to this. Vet has her on 5 cups of water per day, which I split 3 times daily. Otherwise, she is healthy. I think it may be psychological but want others opinions. I also feed both of my greys diamond naturals extreme athlete food due to its high protein content. Now I am wondering is that the cause to the problem? I have had her on regular diamond naturals in the past but just started the extreme athlete maybe 3 months ago. My other grey seems fine. My 3 yr old has definitely put on weight. I can change the food if that may be an issue. I have tried Proin...did not help. BTW, she has increased urination as well but the urine is very dilute even after the water dep test.
http://www.petmd.com/dog/centers/nut...tein_dog_foods
Old October 7th, 2014, 10:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Without actually seeing the lab reports, difficult to comment, but.... I don't buy the high protein being an issue (I've always fed a homeprepared high protein diet). HOWEVER, there could definitely be issues with the dog doing well on a particular kibble and that having such an effect. You might try just a bland homeprepared diet for several days and see if any behavior changes.

I think that sometimes dogs will drink water when their gut doesn't feel well, then you will get urine leakage and also dilute urine. Sometimes you can feel the stomach area and see if it feels bloated or inflamed too. Sometimes things like digestive enzymes and probiotics would help, IF this is the case. The food can also cause digestive issues, and then the dog drinks out of a weird reaction. Some dogs will lick odd things (like the arm of a couch), while others will obsessively eat grass.

I hate these mystery things...
Old October 8th, 2014, 12:03 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

One of our boys has a water fetish--not sure what else to call it--but since puppyhood, he's always overimbibed at the water bowl. Because there is so much water passing through, the urine is always dilute. All the tests came back negative and although it was a real challenge to get him housebroken because of it, he's lived to the ripe old age of 12 and is still going strong, so it seems to be a benign behavioral condition. Our solution is to let him drink what he wants during the day if we're there to let him out, but limit his access to water when we're gone (which he finally learned to do himself--he just doesn't indulge when we're not there to let him out) and we pick up the water bowls right after supper. Seems to work--he sleeps through the night and hasn't left a puddle in the house for 11 years....

Our youngest boy, Brier (8 yo), has a similar problem, but only in winter. He loves to eat snow and, of course, it passes through him like water. Just one of those things, I guess.

I hope that's similar to what's going on with your dog. We do periodic kidney function bloodwork just to make sure that the boys are healthy, but so far (knock on wood) all results are good.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."