Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 14th, 2007, 10:18 AM

Just bumping this up . Hows Howard doing now? Rocco hasn't changed since I wrote in here last. Thanks for the compliment chico2 Your Vinnie and my Rocco are very handsome boys
Old November 22nd, 2007, 06:22 PM

Hello everyone! Sorry for not posting in while - been a bit busy here with work.

Howard is doing ok. His energy and agility continue to amaze me really. That video didn't really do him justice - will try to put a better one together sometime.

Howard escaped again... Last weekend I was out for several hours and when I got home I couldn't find him anywhere. It was dark outside and pouring with rain and my attempts to find him didn't meet with any success. Then he appears through the catflap an hour later, soaked but otherwise fine. Somehow, when I was out, he'd opened the door to the utility room and pulled open the catflap (the "out" is locked, but the "in" is open). I think I'm going to have to rename him "Houdini".

How's Rocco now - is he putting any weight on his bad leg?
Old November 25th, 2007, 09:43 AM

(((((luskentyre))))))) Glad Howard came home safe and sound besides being wet that is. Howard Houdini is a great name lol Rocco is not putting weight on his leg, poor guy isn't happy with the inside rule, he seems to be really bored. We took him for a car ride yesterday at first he was like oh NO the vets lol after he figured out he wasn't going to the vets he was quite happy. I was just looking at an add for a pet fence. We have to figure something out before next spring . Its called Purr-fect Fence! its expensive but gave me some good ideas check it out if you want to. I won't put the address up but all you have to do is google it or message me and I will send you the link.Good to hear from you again keep in touch
Old November 25th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Try googling outdoor cat enclosure..Lots of cook stuff!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old December 2nd, 2007, 06:37 PM

Well, I've decided to give Howard his freedom back, and he's allowed out on his own again (as long as I'm at home). I have to say that he's a much happier cat, and he doesn't stay out for long.

I still agonise whenever I let him out though

Here he is earlier on today:

Last edited by luskentyre; December 2nd, 2007 at 06:56 PM.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 08:01 PM

Thai's Progress

Hi again guys,

I thought I would update you on what is happening with Thai lately. It's pretty good news. The feeling in her leg has now reached all the way down to the lower parts of her paw. If I pinch between the pads of her paw, she now swishes her tail and then pulls the leg away. As I have mentioned she walks with that paw folded under so that the top of the paw has calloused over. The toes will not bend up any more for her to put the foot down in a normal position they will only bend under. I try and flex those toes to bend up but so far they seem just stiff and immovable ( I obviously need to work more on that). For those of you who are wondering how long this regeneration of nerves has been, Thai broke her leg at the beginning of May and suffered the damage to the nerve during the first week. We think maybe from the surgical pin irritation. So this has been a long recuperation. She runs around very well and uses the leg normally - apart from the folded over paw. The muscle in her thigh which had atrophied to the point of her thigh just being a bag of empty skin, has now reformed and is now almost the same size as her other leg. I hope that this gives you all hope that the nerves can regenerate and repair but it is a long slow process. I have an appointment at the vets on Thursday and I think they will be very happy to see the progress. It sounds like all your pets are doing well and adapting to whatever handicaps they have. Don't give up and unless there is no alternative don't consider amputation, just be patient.

Very best wishes to you all.
Thai and her Mom
Old December 4th, 2007, 05:03 PM

That's wonderful news about Thai I really hope she continues to improve, to the point where she can put weight on that leg again. Is there any claw movement in that leg?

How is she coping on three legs? I caught Howard up a ladder again yesterday

It obviously is a long healing process where nerves are concerned. I don't want to get my hopes up where Howard is concerned, but it is encouraging and you must keep us up to date with Thai's progress.
Old December 6th, 2007, 01:13 PM

wow its good to read from you both Rocco's leg hasn't improved at all but he gets around just fine he is still house bound unless we take him out I am so afraid that he will climb somewhere thats to dangerous like the chicken coupe wire He seems to be losing his muscle tone but moves his leg not his paw though and its bent under also. I will just keep loving him and massaging ect even if it never helps him he loves it lol Keep in touch
Howard looks so happy and handsome in his picture
Old December 8th, 2007, 08:00 PM

Thumbs up Visit to the Vet

Hi Everyone,

Thai had a vet visit on Thursday for her shots and also a check up on the leg progress. The Vet who did her surgeries saw her and was very pleased with the nerve repair so far. I think I mentioned in my last post that she now has feeling all the way down to between her toes but not yet into her toes. At one time she had no feeling below the hock joint. She does actually put all her weight on that leg when she walks or runs, she just has the paw folded under all the time. Apparently, when there is no feeling the brain doesn't realize that the paw is not placed correctly. It's the same as when your foot goes to sleep and you stand up and your ankle collapses. My vet thought that with the progress she has made so far, there is a good possibility that the nerve feeling will gradually return into the toes too. This has been a long, long process. Thai first experienced the nerve damage in the first week of May so this repair has taken about 7 months and is still in progress. So don't give up on your babies the body can do wonderful things given enough time and care.
Hope that this gives you all some encouragement.

Best wishes to you,
Thai and her Mommy
Old December 14th, 2007, 03:30 PM

Thank you so much for the updates on Rocco and Thai.

Rocco sounds very like Howard in terms of the extent of the nerve damage. His muscle tone was very poor as well, but it has improved - though whether that's the acupuncture or the increased mobility, I'm not sure. I'm not sure if you mentioned what happened to Rocco - was it a road accident as well? They do adapt fantastically don't they? I'm sure Rocco is loving the massages and extra fusses!

Thai's progress is very encouraging - you must be delighted Here's hoping that she regains the feeling in her toes as well - sounds like it's just a matter of time.

Howard is much the same - he's trying to do all the things he used to, including stretching up on a fencepost to sharpen his claws (although only one paw is actually doing it). He does worry me when I'm in the bath though, as I'm scared he'll try and jump up on the edge like he used to - that could be bad news, for both of us!

Would love to see more pics of the patients! They're both very lucky indeed to have such caring owners :-)

Last edited by luskentyre; December 14th, 2007 at 03:33 PM.
Old December 14th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Senior Contributor

I've been reading all the posts but don't have much to comment about,however I am glad all three kitties are on the mend
Old December 15th, 2007, 04:31 AM

Thanks Chico2 - it's been a great support to hear everyones best wishes on here.
Old January 1st, 2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luskentyre View Post
Thanks Chico2 - it's been a great support to hear everyones best wishes on here.
Best wishes to Howard in 2008 Adding all other furbabies too
Old January 2nd, 2008, 11:17 AM

Thanks Roccoisus. Wishing everyone here and their furry friends the very best for 2008!
Old January 20th, 2008, 12:04 AM

Just want to update

Well Rocco can move his paw now its still bent but it moves and his claws knead I am so pleased I am continuing with massage Hope Howard andThai are both doing good
Old January 20th, 2008, 07:35 AM

Nerve Damage to Paw

Hi Roccosius, That's wonderful that Rocco is now moving his paw and kneading. How long has it been since the accident? What have you been doing to help bring back the function of the paw? I am still working with Thai - she hates the therapy because it stretches those tendons which have atrophied and I think it is uncomfortable for her when I pull those toes. They are still turned under and are stiff but she does have feeling in the paw so it is just a matter of me really working on that back paw so that she is able to put it down in the correct position. She has done her part and her body has repaired that nerve. I must really concentrate on what I can do to help bring back the function which is getting that foot to flex properly.

Wonderful news for Rocco

Diane and Thai
Old January 20th, 2008, 12:39 PM

Hi Tycats All I really have been doing is massaging and playing I do stretches which he doesn't seem to mind his paw aka hand is loose its from the elbow down that is stiff me moves his shoulder has been doing that for some time now, now he moves his paw and does the claw in and out with it so I know his nerve is there. I really never thought I would see any improvement Thanks to you that you gave me such good news about Thai's time frame and that it had been so long before any improvement. Rocco was (we think) hit by a car back in September 9/11 to be exact Nothing was broken but they said his nerve may be damaged with not a good outcome amputation. They said just have to wait and see. Sure am glad I decided not to just go ahead with the amputation. I don't know if he will ever be 100% but at least he has improved and thats something.
Old January 20th, 2008, 06:50 PM

What lucky cats both Rocco and Thai are to have such dedicated and loving owners! I'm so happy that Rocco has feeling back in his paw and is able to knead his claws again - that is wonderful news!

Thai sounds good as well, and I really hope that with more work she'll get more use of that paw. Fingers and paws crossed!

Howard is much the same really. He's been chewing at his paw at the "elbow" and it's looking a bit raw there now. I really hope he doesn't do any damage. When I think back to how badly he was hurt after the accident, I'm just glad he survived and is able to walk again.

Please keep us updated on both puss's progress. It is so nice to hear how they're getting on.
Old January 21st, 2008, 10:02 AM

Howard is chewing :sad: I will be ing that its just because he is getting feeling back hugs to you and Howard
Old January 29th, 2008, 07:30 PM

Nerve damage in leg

I posted this message on the thread prior to this one, but this one looks more promising, so pardon the repost.

Three weeks ago, our extremely large ginger cat (DeSoto) lost the use of his back left leg due to anesthesia during a teeth cleaning. He is on some medication normally used for CNS problems but vet said he read some success has been had with it with PNS problems in cats.

The biggest problem is that he is a gentle giant. He's very sensitive under normal circumstances. When the nerve pulses in his leg, he yowls and howls and threatens anything in view. He hasn't hurt anyone yet, but we believe him!! These incidences come on without any warning, as you know if you've ever had damaged nerves regenerate.

We are supposed to be doing physical therapy with the leg, but that's a pretty dangerous proposition.

Has anyone else had this experience? Any suggestions?

Also, our "smaller large" ginger cat (Max) has decided to attack him while he's down, so we are having to keep them separated when both of us aren't home. I'm going to get some Feliway tomorrow to see if that helps. We've used it a couple of times before in other situations.

I'd appreciate any advice.
Old February 1st, 2008, 11:06 AM

Hi Catb-lu teeth cleaning how sad and scary I don't really have any advice Rocco doesn't seem to be having any pain as his leg heals. He enjoys his massages and now has taken to joining me on my massage mat that I got for Christmas it viberates and he just loves it. His elbow is still rigid but his shoulder now works as well as his paw we just work on him gentley every day.When we brought Rocco home from the vet Asia his mom would attack him a poster told me to rub a towel on one and then the other so the smell of the vet wouldn't be there anymore I also brushed them with the same brush and everything is ok now Thank goodness This is them now
Rocco white Asia patterened lol

I hope the meds work for you ((((((hugs)))) Keep in touch
Old February 1st, 2008, 04:48 PM
Senior Contributor

I was going to say the same as Luskentyre,I don't post here,because I have no experience with what your cats suffer,no advuce to give.
But kudos to you for not giving up on your kitties
Reading about the ansthesia and teethcleaning and the affect on Catb-lus cat,makes me a little leery to have my Rockys teeth cleaned next month,he is 12 and has Hyper-Thyroidism.
I've never heard of this happening before

By the way,Roccoisus,your kitties are beautiful,which one is Rocco??
Old February 1st, 2008, 08:07 PM

Hi Catb-lu - I'm so sorry to hear about DeSoto. You just don't expect anything like that to happen.

Does he put any weight on his bad leg? Howard is very sensitive about having his legs touched so any physical therapy is out of the question - but I do find that playing seems to help (a ping pong ball!) as I can often get him to move his bad leg with a well-aimed ball

I know it's maybe harder with a back leg but it might be worth trying. Please let us know how he's getting on.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
I was going to say the same as Luskentyre,I don't post here,because I have no experience with what your cats suffer,no advuce to give.
But kudos to you for not giving up on your kitties
Reading about the ansthesia and teethcleaning and the affect on Catb-lus cat,makes me a little leery to have my Rockys teeth cleaned next month,he is 12 and has Hyper-Thyroidism.
I've never heard of this happening before

By the way,Roccoisus,your kitties are beautiful,which one is Rocco??
Rocco is our big white boy
Hows Howard doing luskentyre?
Happy Groundhog day everyone
Old February 17th, 2008, 07:45 PM

Hi everyone. Well Howard was at the vet last week for another acupuncture session. There's no noticeable improvement but there's no deterioration either.

He's still got a big raw patch on his bad leg, just above the "elbow" where I think he's been biting. I tried putting a small bandage on it but it didn't stay on for long! Anyone got any ideas?!
Old February 20th, 2008, 10:03 AM

Hi luskentyre I don't have any idea's the news on no deterioration is good can your vet give you any input on what you could do to stop the biting? Rocco is still the same with a a stiff elbow area when he stretches now I hold his bad leg and can feel that vibration all the way down and he grabs me with his claws I just keep up on the massges he doesn't drag anymore he can hold it up now so no dirty little white paw any more lol Hope the acupuncture helps ((((((hugs)))))
Old March 11th, 2008, 06:46 PM

How is Rocco doing now? Is he managing to put any weight on his bad paw? It's great that he has feeling all the way down now.

Howard is much the same, his abcess is no worse and I have a special bandage from the vet to try. He's also got a respiratory infection (we think) so he's on antibiotics at the moment. Poor wee thing. I'm trying to keep his spirits up with fresh fish every day!
Old October 22nd, 2008, 11:09 AM

Hello, All,

I have read the sagas of your cats this morning with great interest, I found this site by searching for cats with nerve damage. We are in this situation now and would appreciate any advice you offer.

On Aug 3, 2008 our dear Frankie Blue-Eyes was shot by some unknown villian. The bullet went through his front leg breaking one of the bones there and then hit his rear leg, shattering the bone there, the one from the knee to his hock. Both legs are on the right side.

The front leg has healed fine and the back leg still has the pins & external hardware holding his leg together. From x-rays the bone appears to be healing.

BUT, he still has no feeling in his foot. He sits normally but he doesn't put his toes down properly when moving around so he often walks on his knuckles. The foot flops a bit when he uses that leg to attempt to scratch his neck. The toe pads are rough, not getting smoothed down from use. He keeps the foot clean and doesn't chew on it. He doesn't mind if I pinch the toes if he can't see me doing it; he doesn't like it if he can see me messing with it. I guess his dignity is still intact if it is threatened so.

We continue to keep Frankie confined in the dog's big travel crate, and let him out to sleep, play, get lots of attention in a large dog cuddle cup beside us on the couch in the evenings. We have been instructed to limit his activity, especially along the lines of jumping. I expect to be instructed soon to let him be out more; the problem being not wanting to get his fixator caught on anything. He often plays with a tennis ball or a small plastic cat toy ball in his crate. I am amazed at how well he is handling the confinement. He is a model patient; they were even able to take x-rays without sedating him.

It has been 2.5 months since the injury. Don't you think we should be seeing some sign of nerve recovery by now?

Sorry for the long post but I think it was needed to give sufficient information about Frankie's situation.

Thanks for listening.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 11:20 AM
Geek Club CEO

Is it the "healed" front foot that has the nerve damage or the healing hind foot?

Nerve damage can be tricky. It can/will recover, but it can take months or years.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old October 22nd, 2008, 11:48 AM

It is the hind foot.