Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old December 19th, 2005, 12:11 AM

Question Eagle Pack cat food

Is this a good food? Does anyone have any experience with it, good or bad? I have my cats on California Natural now but my retailer has informed me that she will no longer be carrying it in the new year so I am looking for something else.
Old December 19th, 2005, 01:07 AM
Sasha's Den Rescue

The ingredient that has always bugged me in all of Eagle Pack's formulas is the corn. My cats do not digest corn well. We have outstanding results with Holistic Blend which is manufactured in Ontario and surprisingly - yet very practically - sold at Loblaw's. Have a look at the website:

http://www.holisticblend.com/foods_alscf.html

One thing the company definitely needs to improve is the graphic design both on their website and on their packaging !

Old December 19th, 2005, 01:46 AM

I agree with Inverness. It's a great food but they ruin it for me with the corn. So many dogs (and probably cats too) are allergic to corn and others still just can't digest it (most dogs can't digest corn properly). Why it's in there is beyond me.

Last edited by Prin; December 19th, 2005 at 04:31 AM.
Old December 19th, 2005, 03:07 AM
Kitty Consort

I recently bought my first - and last - bag of Eagle Pack Cat Food.
I thought this to be an excellent food, and didnt bother checking the ingredients in the store. I was looking for a hairball formula food to introduce.

Corn is the third listed ingredient... something that doesnt agree with my cats... and doesnt indicate top quality.

I've used Felidae for over a year, and will go back to that. I've also fed and could reccomend Wellness and Go Natural as very good choices in cat foods.
Old December 19th, 2005, 08:46 AM
Senior Contributor

I have my cats on Performatrin Ultra Holistic.And they love it.I also noticed Casper very rarely hacks up a furball now.....

I am waiting for my pet supply store to bring in the canned ones.Which I have been waiting for some time now...

Here are the ingredients.

I get it from my Pet Valu
http://www.performatrinultra.com/cat/cdi_chicken.htm
Old December 19th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Owned by Saints

Have you asked if they could order the California Natural for you? They may have decided that they don't want to stock it.. but can still order it.

The reason I mention this is that the store that I buy Solid gold from will no longer be stocking it. But I spoke with the owner and she told me that she will order it for me.
Old December 19th, 2005, 12:14 PM

Thanks for all the info! I am going to look into the Holistic Blend. They sell it at 2 stores near me so that is good. I asked the pet store if they would order California Natural for me and she said no, they don't want to deal with the company anymore (she wouldn't tell me why). That's fine because I'd rather not deal with her anyway, it pains me to go into that store. She is just a really annoying person so if I can get good pet food somewhere else I will.
Old December 19th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Rottie owner and lover

My newly adopted cat has been switched from Vet diet, crap J.E mondou food to california natural. Having alittle bit of difficulties, but that was to be expected. Doing alittle better now, have only had tigger for 2 weeks. But I love california foods.
Old December 19th, 2005, 04:09 PM

I know we are talking about cat food here, but reference was also made to dog food and the corn content. In Eagle Pack Holistic there is no corn and no wheat which is why I went with it.
Old December 19th, 2005, 09:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengal
In Eagle Pack Holistic there is no corn and no wheat which is why I went with it.
That's what my boy gets.....
Old December 20th, 2005, 01:04 AM

I'm still not impressed by it though. It's got beet pulp and tomato pomace in it... As I said in the "stool hardeners" thread, beet pulp is a stool hardener that works by releasing toxins that cut off the blood supply to the colon, stopping peristalsis so that the stool stays in there longer and hardens up. Tomato pomace is a stool hardener too, but as far as I know, it's not as drastic.

Also their lamb and rice formula has chicken fat in it, which defeats the purpose of having lamb (if Boo got that food, he'd be still puking from his chicken intolerance, which is the reason for switching to lamb in the first place). And it has brewer's yeast, which I don't want in my food, especially if I'm paying enough to not have it in there.

It's their puppy food that is loaded with corn and then loaded with beet pulp to solidify the undigested corn. (Beet pulp is the 6th ingredient in their large breed puppy formula- blech!)

Plus their large breed foods are preserved with citric acid, which is suspected to increase the chances of bloat, right?

I just don't like it. Not much good science in there, but they seem to capture all the bad corner-cutters and profit-maker-gimmicks that research has discovered... No thanks.

Last edited by Prin; December 20th, 2005 at 01:06 AM.
Old December 20th, 2005, 09:59 AM

I had bought the Eagle Pack Holistic Select for cats and I just checked the label on it, it DOES have corn in it. I am going tomorrow to Loblaws to check for the Holistic Blend. Too bad about the California Natural, my guys really like it and they do well on it but I just can't get it around here. I emailed the company to see if they would ship it to me a case at a time but I haven't heard back from them.
Old December 20th, 2005, 08:02 PM

the dry food may not be good quality but the cat wet food it mighty tasty!! i ended up with it when my old boy turned up his nose at everything. he loves all the flavors except the turkey and barley.