Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Lost & Found (Pls include a pic if possible & write location in TITLE)

Closed Thread

Old March 19th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b View Post
I am saying that pounds need to be prepared for the original owners to come looking for them(pets I mean)

Would you give up your dog that easy?A dog that has been in your family for YEARS?A dog that your kids love and adore?A dog that you raised since 8 weeks?

So our Brews, Sables,Spencers and Billies get brought to a pound and get adopted,these owners are supposed to stand back and and say oh well,they have been saved by these new adopters,let them have them???.Hell no...Some people wouldn't give a rats behind,but I know these owners do.And they care and want their dogs back.They are part of their family.

Get real.These owners have a heart and feelings.Seriously some people need to be in these peoples shoes.Ten to one your thoughts would be sooo different.
I don't want to get into an argument with you, but what do you think shelters/rescuers should do? Go to the new adopters who now have legal ownership and take him away? I think this is an empathy issue between the new owners and Kelly.

You are right, we all make mistakes, some very tragic and sad, but there are consequences for mistakes, sounds cold, but is a fact of life.

I, personally, would return Brew to Kelly after I was satisfied that they were the rightful owners and that they don't allow Brew free again, but I don't agree with legal action. If everybody started doing that Shelters would go bankrupt from legal fees, and would get a reputation of untrust. They can't place all the animals they currently have and most are barely keeping their heads afloat financially.

As for Krinkles, I believe AC did hand deliver a letter to the house which was received by the homesitter who did not open it, even knowing the cat was missing. This story is also very sad.:sad:,

You don't know me or what I have gone through in my life, I am extremely empathetic person who loves animals more than you can imagine. I volunteer at a tiny no kill humane society and know that any legal action that would entail having to get a lawyer would bankrupt them and then many animals would suffer. Or they would have to make a choice, legal fees or vet fees, can't afford both.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 19th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Kitty pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
mrthomas....

Lets reverse the situation here! You have been in an accident and your dog gets away...you wake up in the hospital 3 weeks later..wondering where your dog is?? Someone investigates this and finds out that your dog was picked up...placed in the pound, animal shelter rescue whatever you want to call it...and subsequently is adopted...You manage to track down some info about your dog and that he is safe and new home. Would you just walk away?? Walk away from the dog you raised, your family knows, where he is loved? I am not saying that the adoptee's dont love this dog...the point being that this family didnt do anything wrong here?? they lost the dog they love and for whatever the circumstances they deserve to have their dog back...

I think if you were in this family's shoes you might feel the same way....It is tragic no matter what way you look at it isn't it! Can you honestly say that you would walk away from your pet and not put up a fight because he is loved by someone else....

It would be ideal if someone could arrange a conversation between the new owners and the old owners and I think if someone facilitated this request things would work out in the long run? I realise what your saying about the adoption places having to have some guarantee for the dogs they adopt out BUT would they really have such a problem giving a dog back once they new the truth to the story? They are certainly free to return the dog if it doesn't adapt in their home so why not in this case as well...Simply put this is a mistake and no one needs to be blamed here...just return the dog....

Cindy
is a very god question NAd I cant honesly say what i would do I like to think I jave the courage to give her up to a loving home and get another but who can say ?
Old March 19th, 2008, 12:11 PM
banned user

You are so right Jim..who can say...well until you have lost your family dog, you have no idea the pain and heartache it can cause your family.
I personally have logged over 80,000 km. and paid for newspaper ads for over a year, called every shelter, pound SPCA I can think of in the area..taken in posters, put out over 2000 flyers and cards and if for some reason Sable slips through the cracks and gets adopted by someone else...you think I am going to be gracious enough to back off...I don't think so.
Sable is microchipped & tattooed but that isn't helping much.
When you have had a dog like Brew for 6 years, he is family. An AC screwed up and I think he and his superiors are the ones that need to intervene and make it right for Kelly. They will never agree to let Kelly meet with the new owners but I feel they should be given the facts that there was an error made. I also understand that the shelters and pounds have to adopt out animals but there needs to be more checks in place so this type of thing does not happen. I have heard repeatedly from this site as well as others, don't just call go to the shelter because they don't always know what you are describing and if Kelly had the right information she could have gone to where Brew was...That is the point that is being missed.
Old March 19th, 2008, 12:22 PM

Wow I've just only returned and this has become a very interesting thread indeed....Let me start by saying that I respect everyone's opinion even if it's oposite of mine and I don't hold grudges...One thing I have to say though is please do not comment on this thread if the only rebutle you have is that I'm lieing...that is something that cannot be debated and I truely believe anyone that has entered here with a story. Let's face it that's why they're here. There has been some mix ups in info but definately no flat out lies...

guys if that last web link i provided didn't do the trick i'm kinda lost...they said there was a link off the city of brandon web site but it only provides a phone number...maybe the pound doesn't have a web site....I'll look into it again today....as for the town's mistake...yes...they admit it and the Mayor is going to bat at the city for me...all i can do is wait...

YES I do have posters...holy cow...I haven't diseminated them yet because I held hope that the pound would come through for me...since they haven't as of yesterday I WILL be plastering the city....I'll start another post before this gets too long....again...lol
Old March 19th, 2008, 12:24 PM

Your correct Jim in your comments...I've struggles with the ethics of taking Brew or surrendering him because of the other family involved and in the end i continue soley because they seem to be uncaring of mine by not communicating with us
Old March 19th, 2008, 12:29 PM

mrthomas welcome back i'm happy you returned....I was thinking it was soley a hit and run by yourself and verocity....please understand this

everyone involved in this thread was being guided by the same misinformation that was being provided to me....the first mistake was when the pound was said to me to be a shelter....the names SPCA/shelter were used to me intermitently by various people here....that's why I thought the SPCA had Brew....when emails were sent I thought they were being sent to "Shane" at the SPCA/Kennel/Pound....I thought they were all in one....I voluntarily emailed the President and vice president of the board of directors of the SPCA to visit this website and clear it up....which they did in a phone call to me....I immediately let everyone here know what had happened and the SPCA was never mentioned again until yourself and verocity came in with guns a blazin...

now the problem is trying to redirect these same emails to the pound....we cannot find a link....

more to follow....

Last edited by Kelly27; March 19th, 2008 at 12:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Old March 19th, 2008, 12:41 PM

HEY! I'm not a Junior member anymore....oh joy

The last webite I provided remember i said it represented two pounds...one for Brandon and area and one for the county of Cornwallis....I did call Golden Acres which is the kennel that acts as the pound for the county and they weren't even aware of who was the pound for my town....I'm starting to wonder if Brandon Kennels has any jurisdiction over my town? I think there may only be some kind of verbal agreement in place....I asked them why Carberry strays were sent to Brandon when Cornwallis county is closer by half the distance....they didn't know....but i do know this we are definately not part of the City of Brandon and they're rules and regulations do not apply here....we have absolutely no mandatory pet registration or fines there of....that's right from the old AC agent i spoke to....

when i spoke to the Mayor yesterday I told him changes were needed and he agreed....hopefully i'll be the person to implement them...hopefully i'll recover from this surgery in time to take the job....mind you there's no line ups for it...
Old March 19th, 2008, 12:44 PM

Question: Why are strayes taken to the pound and not the shelter in the first place....the second last town I lived in only had a shelter and no pound....if adoptable animals are at risk of being put down in pounds why are they in use?....

And just so everyone knows Brew in this case because of his personality was not at risk of being euthanized...Shane had no intention of putting him down...he felt he was very adoptable and my hat goes off for him for that....

Thank you Shane
Old March 19th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley1011 View Post
They will never agree to let Kelly meet with the new owners but I feel they should be given the facts that there was an error made.
I agree, and if the new owners have any empathy, they will return Brew. How would Kelly ever know if the pound actually does contact the new owners? I still think she should put a lost ad in the Brandon paper with a picture of Brew hoping the new owners see it and contact Kelly.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 19th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Aren't pounds city/town run and our tax money is used to fund them. That is why they are high kill shelters, they don't waste tax payers money on animals:sad:. Humane Societies and SPCA's are charities, not receiving any tax funding.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old March 19th, 2008, 01:08 PM

FINALLY....In my frenzy to send out my story yesterday I got a response from the Brandon Sun as follows:

hi Kelly,

What an awful story -- that's a terrible situation to be in, and I had no idea that pets located in Carberry might be shipped here to Brandon.

I've forwarded your tale to our pets columnist and also to the editor of the daily paper. I hope we'll be able to do something for you.

Good luck

Grant Hamilton
Brandon Sun
Community News

On 17-Mar-08, at 4:16 PM, Jaz wrote:

go to www.pets.ca then to their lost and found link. Read the article entitled Bring Brew Home. Might be a wonderful human interest story. Plse reply soonest with comments...

Kelly
Old March 19th, 2008, 01:32 PM

Give me some feedback on this comment with regards to the SPCA (of whom I am an advocate) This is something that I've been thinking of

Since the SPCA is a no kill facility what do they do with wild cats...of which there are multitudes of here in this area and I know a great many have been euthanized at the pound. You see this is a huge farming area and cats are sought out as farm cats to keep the critter population down. These cats remain unsocialized and created for man's use. When the cat makes it's way to the town where i would assume food is more plentiful they are captured and sent to the pound. Unadoptable they are euthanized. The bulk of all animals AC sent out of this town are cats.

What would the SPCA do with such felines. Would they socialize them and try and adopt them out or simply send them to the pound so they can retain their no kill status? No accusations are being made here i'm simply asking so put away the ammo....lol
Old March 19th, 2008, 01:34 PM
banned user

Kelly do you have an email address for the paper..I would like to send a letter to that dept. as well.
Also, I know you are new as I was only some months ago, but I did send you
a private message..top left hand corner.
Could you please take a look and let me have your email address as I did get a response from the SPCA that I would like to forward to you...not of any importance but thought you might like to read.
Old March 19th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly27 View Post
Give me some feedback on this comment with regards to the SPCA (of whom I am an advocate) This is something that I've been thinking of

Since the SPCA is a no kill facility what do they do with wild cats...of which there are multitudes of here in this area and I know a great many have been euthanized at the pound. You see this is a huge farming area and cats are sought out as farm cats to keep the critter population down. These cats remain unsocialized and created for man's use. When the cat makes it's way to the town where i would assume food is more plentiful they are captured and sent to the pound. Unadoptable they are euthanized. The bulk of all animals AC sent out of this town are cats.

What would the SPCA do with such felines. Would they socialize them and try and adopt them out or simply send them to the pound so they can retain their no kill status? No accusations are being made here i'm simply asking so put away the ammo....lol
It depends upon the shelter and their governance. Some will euthanize any unadoptable pets because they just can waste precious resources on them when there are so many unwanted cats:sad:.
If they are babies they are sent out to foster homes to socialize them and will go up for adoption when they are ready. True feral adults are very hard to socialize, if not impossible. Other shelters spay/neuter/vaccinate and send them to farms who have agreements with the shelter, similar to a trap, neuter, release program.
I volunteer for a no kill, 100% volunteer shelter (no money for paid positions only for the animals), they would not send their cats to the pound. Some of their cats have gone to a farm because they were deemed unadoptable.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old March 19th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Senior Contributor

kelly, this is a bit off topic, but can you please go back to your first post and edit it into paragraphs. I have read it all, as have many members, but its a bit of a doozy. Since your directing newspapers and such to the site, it would make it a whole lot easier if you made it more 'user friendly'...they'd be more obliged to actually read it in their busy days and hopefully respond
Old March 19th, 2008, 02:18 PM

ooo good response never thought of that....have the cat spayed/neutered and offer them out to the farms as farm cats but without the ability to procreate...they may still wander but at least they won't add to the population....should be advertised to the farms so they know where to go for their farm cats....

But I thought part of the adoption process at the shelter was that you needed to provide a home...and not house them in a barn or tie them in a yard permanently....

I do like your response though...better than euthanizing them....I don't know of that many farmers that wouldn't take in an additional farm cat....they are fed daily but also left on their own instincts to hunt on the farm without restraint....

Overall i wish farmers would control their own rodent problems and keep cats as pets and not farm equipment....At least take it as their own responsibility to spay or neuter them first....i don't know thoughts? In the end better on the farm then dead...

As soon as I hear from the Mayor I'll let you guys know....

Kelly
Old March 19th, 2008, 02:19 PM

One More Question

I Am Really Only Posting Here Because Rescues And Spca Do Good Things And This Is In My Area. I Hate To See Them Insulted.

One Last Thing To Ask, Just Wondering Why Your Husband Did Not Assist In The Search While You Were Ill?
Old March 19th, 2008, 02:20 PM

Good idea! ummm how? I don't see the edit beside the quote anymore....
Old March 19th, 2008, 02:35 PM

good question mrthomas....funny too because i just sent a private message addressing this very issue....we are a military family that is both myself and my husband are military....right now my husband is in AB and shortly after his return he'll be in QC for weeks....prior to his departure he did go on our behalf and speak to the pound and call them prior because i couldn't talk or travel..I only found out Brew was sent to Brandon 2 days before my surgery....

before it came to our attention that Brew was in Brandon he shared in our responsibility to find Brew here in Carberry...talking to people and driving around looking in yards

Unfortunately the timing couldn't have been worse...you see prior to my operation my workplace was responsible for sending soldiers to Afghanistan for the next rotation. So in the middle of sending approx 800 men and women oversees is when this all happened...we both worked late nights and weekends and when we were home we were looking for Brew...and trying to piece the puzzle together....

my operation has actually given me a chance to dedicate myself more fully and find answers but i still cannot travel

on a side note: Of the soldiers just recently sent there from CFB Shilo two have already been killed.....jesus accept them into your home with open arms

but rest assured when i need to get out there I will, I did against docs orders visit the pound with my husband before he left so i could see him eye to eye and show him physically my documentation on my dog and my emotion linked with bringing him home, that's why i was able to comment on his reaction of what i considered to be laughing at me to my acclimation that Brew had feelings too

through all of this I have not let my struggle to get Brew home...i do have posters which need to be changed because i mention the wrong agency in them and they will go out hoping that another Brandonite will confess to where they've seen Brew, I know he's out there and I will find him.

The only time I was not able to contribute to my struggle was my stay in the hospital and i spent most nights up speaking with nurses about it and getting their ideas on it....because i couldn't sleep...It was actually one of them that said to go to city hall. I just know I won't get anywhere with them i need my Mayor to help....that's his playground...and I think he will....he's a good man

Last edited by Kelly27; March 19th, 2008 at 02:43 PM. Reason: change
Old March 19th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Kitty pimp

so lets say you find the new owners and they say we are keeping brew what then
lets say the paper prints an article and the rescue org that had brew gets a load of bad publicity and loses thier funding what then

supoose that brandon decides that with all the trouble that is being caused they decide not to have a pound what then
Old March 19th, 2008, 02:54 PM

mrthomas if I were in your shoes although probably a little more diplomatic I would have done the same thing....

after the info was sorted out nothing unkind has been said of the SPCA, we were only going on bad info and I'm happy it was sorted out because as an ex volunteer of my local SPCA it was unbelievably hurtful to me all the things I understood the local SPCA to be guilty of....i'm relieved....and i'm happy you returned because the hit and run we recieved initially from yourself and verocity might have blemished the professionalism of your foundation...but I do understand your energy in defending your establishment...we are all supporters of the humane society's work...I would love some assistance if you deem it justifiable...

I'm only trying to right a wrong...
Old March 19th, 2008, 02:54 PM
banned user

Kelly as I have said before shelters and SPCA's do wonderful work..but there was an error made here..not there's but one was made and I don't think that Brew should have to suffer the concequences because of it.
We should all be proud as Canadians that you and your husband are dedicated to helping our forces.
I hope the Mayor does stand up for you and your family and I know how quickly you can learn to love a dog but I truly feel if the adoptive family knows the whole story, they will find it in their hearts to return Brew and go on to give a wonderful forever home to another.
Old March 19th, 2008, 02:55 PM

well Jim a loss of a pound to me is not a loss...if there is no wrong done then there should be no reason for bad publicity
Old March 19th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly27 View Post
Good idea! ummm how? I don't see the edit beside the quote anymore....
hmmmmm, i dont know why that would be........ive edited things long after i posted them. Maybe pm marko/other admin?
Old March 19th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Kitty pimp

[QUOTE=shirley1011;565494]Kelly as I have said before shelters and SPCA's do wonderful work..but there was an error made here..not there's but one was made and I don't think that Brew should have to suffer the concequences because of it.

brew is most likely happily in her new home and being walked on a leash
with a collar and current information

the error made was not having brew on a leash that was the error ]
Old March 19th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Gianna's Mommy

[QUOTE=Jim Hall;565499]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley1011 View Post
Kelly as I have said before shelters and SPCA's do wonderful work..but there was an error made here..not there's but one was made and I don't think that Brew should have to suffer the concequences because of it.

brew is most likely happily in her new home and being walked on a leash
with a collar and current information

the error made was not having brew on a leash that was the error ]

Wow Jim, your being a little harsh!!! You've never made a mistake in your life? Your not perfect either!! We all deserve a break sometimes!!
Old March 19th, 2008, 03:13 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

I agree Jim you are being harsh, when was the last time you had your dog, in your yard on a leash? It was an accident that a child made. Kelly already admited her fault in this. But if I read this thread right, they only waited 3 days before giving Brew away. Here in Toronto the dog is held for 7 days before being put up for adoption.
Old March 19th, 2008, 03:16 PM

Harsh

I Dont Know How Harsh This Is. No One Is Thinking About The People Who Saved The Dogs Life. If He Was Not Adopted He Would Be Dead. Now It Seems That Because Someone Saved The Dogs Life They Are Being Asked To Give The Dog Up. Is No One Else Seeing That The Attack Here Is On The New Home When The Dog Would Otherwise Be Dead?

Everyone Makes Mistakes But What Mistake Did The Rescuers Make?
Old March 19th, 2008, 03:24 PM
banned user

The rescuers made no mistake mrthomas you are right..the Cranberry AC officer made the error. And of course a little boy made a tradgic error.
It is not like this poor family have not tried to find their family dog...and I think if the facts were presented to the new family they may see that Brew deserves to be back where he has been loved for 6 years.

and Jim, I wish you no bad luck, but I hope you never loose a dog because until you do you will never understand the heartache.
Old March 19th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Senior Contributor

mrthomas, this isnt an attack or anything..but whats up with the capital letter to every word?

Obviously theres two sides. A mistake happened, but like someone said there are consequences to mistakes - that is life. That is why kelly and her son are in the position they are in now.

The new 'parents' dont have to give up Brew...it would be nice if they did, but they dont have to. They are not evil if they dont, but they arent so empathetic. Yes, they did save the dogs life by adopting brew, but this does not mean they can't still 'have a heart'. Like mrthomas said, they may also have a young child that will be heartbroken without brew, however if they are reading this: what better lesson in humanity to teach your child? If your famiy will be upset, how much more upset is kelly's?

If you dont get Brew back Kelly it will indeed be very sad. Be comforted though that he is in a loving home now that wanted him and saved him. Maybe they just arent strong enough to give him back...
Closed Thread