Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 6th, 2016, 12:22 AM

Extremely odd behavior. Possible neuro?

Hello everyone. My name is Justin and my fiancé and I have a roughly 10 month old kitten that is have serious problems and are lost. First it started off with her runny nose that we have been giving her viralys (sp) for. Then came on the diarrhea (major issue with her being long haired) and the other day she started to not be able to walk and essentially looked like a raccoon because of her arched back. My finances mom works at a vet clinic so we took her in on Thursday and she had a fever off 105. Today she got X-rays done and blood work and urine pull to begin searching for the issue. Everyone is clueless right now and the X-rays came back fine with no fluid in the abdomen. When standing or walking, she seems like she has lost all motor skills. She's still alert and purring but is lethargic and not acting normal. Anyone have ideas? I, we, really appreciate any insight.
Old March 6th, 2016, 07:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Is there anything around that toxic your kitty could had gotten into ?
Old March 6th, 2016, 08:32 PM

Nope nothing toxic. We have another 3 year old cat that is beyond healthy. They're both updated on all vaccinations.
Old March 6th, 2016, 09:26 PM
Senior Contributor

I hope you'll be able to find out what causing your poor kitty to be ill.
Is there a vet hospital you can go to ?
Old March 6th, 2016, 09:41 PM

Thank you! My fiance's mother works at a vet clinic with an excellent vet. There are a few hospitals around the area but I feel more confident at the clinic based off of her excellent experience. I'm taking the kitten back in tomorrow for a follow up. She was walking around some today but she walks like she has water on her back legs and gets really wobbly.
Old March 6th, 2016, 11:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Does she do a lot of jumping off things , my daughter cat got hurt when he fall off something . He couldn't move his hind legs and it took him awhile to recover .
Old March 6th, 2016, 11:09 PM

She's gotten an X-ray and nothing has shown up yet. She's doesn't necessarily act like she's in pain. She's also had a fever of 105 Friday and 104 yesterday. We keep getting it back down with a steroid shot.
Old March 7th, 2016, 12:11 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Did they start her on an antibiotic? Fever often accompanies infection--in which case, steroids are probably not a good choice.

Has she been outside at all? Has she been tested for any tick-borne diseases? Some of them present with fever and sore joints and can progress to what look like neurological symptoms before the animal even tests positive for them. It can take weeks for Lyme's disease, for example, to show as a positive...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 7th, 2016, 10:42 PM

yes. she originally had IBS so she was on a pill that alleviated that problem. I cant remember the name of it. She's currently on Omoxicilian (sp). Her and the other cat are strictly indoor cats and never go outside except when being carried from the house to the car. She's had a stool sample tested and her blood work came back perfect. She's shown signs of improvement today. She's been walking more, although still shaky and wobbly, she's still moving around and even surprised me and jumped in my lap with no signs of pain. Are ticks the only way for cats to get Lyme's disease?
Again, I appreciate everyones ideas, thoughts and time on this.
Old March 7th, 2016, 11:46 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Yes, ticks would be the only likely way for a cat to get Lyme's or any of the other tick-borne diseases.

I'm glad to hear she's feeling a bit better today. Is it possible that this whole episode is a recurrence of the IBS? The diarrhea would fit--also the rucked back, since abdominal pain can cause a change in posture. If that's what the vets suspect, the steroids would make sense...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 8th, 2016, 11:43 PM

I think somewhere the IBS is related but not sure if it's the cause. The stools aren't horribly soft. She's also having twitches and almost like tremor type movements. Even just laying down she twitches. She doesn't whine much and doesn't seem in pain but she does grumble a little when being held which makes me believe there's at least some discomfort somewhere. It's just difficult and frustrating not being able to pinpoint the problem you know?
Old March 9th, 2016, 12:25 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oh, yeah, I can relate...

Hang in there! I do hope the vets come up with some answers soon!

Old March 10th, 2016, 01:12 AM

Thank you!
Our vet is now beginning to think it could be viral meningitis. She's a little painful along her back but she's moving around find. She actually gained .2 lbs! Anyone please chime in with experience of viral meningitis but she basically said it will have to take its course but eventually Pearl will get better. Fingers crossed!