Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 14th, 2009, 09:36 AM

Prince Eau de Toilette peed in the bed!!!

Hi folks, I'm brand-spanking-new here, haven't even posted on the "introduce myself" area yet. I am looking for some theories and encouragement here!

First, I don't think this is a usual, "my dog peed in the bed" question.

My little darling Simon (a 1 year old cockapoo), has been housetrained for some time now. Last night, and this morning, he peed everywhere on my bed! I got up at 2:30am to go pee myself, and noticed that where he had been laying was a big pile of pee. EEEwwww. I thought maybe Daddy forgot to take him out before he went to bed, as he usually does. I still thought it was weird that it would have been right where he was sleeping. Then this morning, my DD came to wake me up, and Simon jumped up and streamed pee all over the bed! It was like he was walking/running around the bed with a full-blown stream coming out! No squatting or leg lifting. OMG, it even got a little bit on my curtain!!!! No other accidents anywhere else.

Luckily it was 8am, so my vet had just opened. I called, and though they didn't have any appts for today, they let me drop him off and will see him as they have time today. They will also try to collect pee from him while he's there.

Anyone have any ideas? I know to think of UTI, and he has not been having any accidents other than this, and we've just been letting him out throughout the day as usual up to now. Also, DH confirmed that he did let Simon (and Gypsy) out before bed, at about 12:30pm. Does it sound like a UTI or kidney stone? What else could it be?

I know until I hear from the vet I'm not likely to know what's going on. Just hoping to hear thoughts from anyone in the meantime. I'm totally freaked!
Old March 14th, 2009, 09:56 AM

Well, the vet just called me back and said there are a few crystals in his urine. She is going to give him ATBs and an anti-inflammatory for 2 weeks and recheck. She said there wasn't HUGE evidence of UTI in his urine, and didn't suggest we change his food at this point unless/until we get more conclusive evidence.

Oh my, I hope this takes care of the problem. I would still love to hear from anyone who has advice or experience!

Thanks in advance!
Old March 14th, 2009, 10:41 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Welcome to the board, Shannon!

How is Simon doing tonight? In our experience, the antibiotics will work pretty quickly if it's a UTI...certainly by tomorrow night or the following morning he should be better.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 15th, 2009, 08:41 AM

I hope your dog will be okay soon. http://www.executec.com/urolith.htm
Old March 22nd, 2009, 02:41 PM

Thanks for the well wishes! Simon has been his absolute usual self since going to the vet for his antibiotics. No more pee accidents anywhere!! I certainly hope this is the end of our troubles.

One thing, the vet tech said she wondered if he is going through a fear stage that tends to happen around 1 year of age? She said the way they got the urine sample was that someone came over and greeted him and he peed! I don't know about that, he hasn't been acting overly afraid of anything, especially in my bed when I'm sleeping! I'm going to assume his urinary tract was inflamed and he peed when the tech came over because he couldn't hold it, not that he was afraid of her.

Oh, these doggies of ours can worry us, can't they? I'm just so thankful there's not something seriously wrong with him! And wishing well anyone who's doggies have to contend with health issues!
Old April 25th, 2009, 08:27 PM

my dog also suffers from crystals in her urine if her diet includes too much protein, but on a side note I guess to this, when she lived for a while with my sister, she peed on her bed a couple of times when she had a boyfriend. They can get territorial that way. Same thing, she rolled over and found a puddle in her bed. Might have been a coincidence, as she didn't do it with others (note for doggie instinct, he was not a keeper )

and to each their own, but there's something to be said about letting your dog sleep on the bed in the first place. I'm not condemning you for it, but I have a particularly territorial doggie who tends to be a bit strong willed, and I found her behaviour got worse when she was allowed to sleep on the bed, and she's a marker with pee problems. Besides which, I wasn't too keen on how a 15 pound dog could take up all the space in a queen sized bed She is now quite content on her own pillow on the floor. At least if she gets sick or needs to pee, she ain't doing it on me !