Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old June 17th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Congrats on getting the oriole fed, klm , great shots of him.

Hazel, can you take the feeders in at night and only put them out after you get up?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 17th, 2010, 09:09 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

There's usually a lot of spillage during the day. The deer come almost every night to clean up but I'm not sure if it would be enough to tempt the bear to brave the fence and the dogs. That's something I'm gonna ask the DNR warden when he calls back... I'm hoping I can at least hang suet. And I hope that the nectar feeders are safe because they're inside the chain link fence and away from the other feeders...

My thistle feeders are still MIA, so they, at least, won't be an issue!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 17th, 2010, 09:15 AM
-

Holy Hannah Hazel, he came back this morning too ....my g/f's SIL lives in Muskoka which has lots of bears and she has a foghorn that she sounds when she sees a bear around, they skedaddle pretty quick. Have you thought of getting something like that?

Maybe you could hang the suet inside the fenced area high enough that the Pack cannot reach it
Old June 17th, 2010, 09:19 AM
-

was he laying down in that last picture ? waiting for his meal trying to look like a setter
Old June 17th, 2010, 09:25 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
was he laying down in that last picture ? waiting for his meal trying to look like a setter
Yep, lying down

I'm hoping I can safely hang the suet outside if I bring it in at night, Chris. The trouble with moving it inside the fence is that there are always small morsels of suet that get dropped during the day and I don't want to tempt the bear inside the fence with the smell of suet. If I can't hang it outside, I may just stop putting it out...

An air horn! Now there's an idea!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 17th, 2010, 09:35 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Yep, lying down

I'm hoping I can safely hang the suet outside if I bring it in at night, Chris. The trouble with moving it inside the fence is that there are always small morsels of suet that get dropped during the day and I don't want to tempt the bear inside the fence with the smell of suet. If I can't hang it outside, I may just stop putting it out...

Safely is the key word Hazel, I don't know how safely you could do that.......Could you not afix a plastic plate under the suet feeder to collect the crumbs....Pepe rigged a plate onto my niger seed feeder to collect any spillage which in turn saves waste.

An air horn! Now there's an idea!
Apparently it works well for her, two blasts and they boot it.
Old June 17th, 2010, 09:40 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

I suppose I could rig some sort of plate hanging from the underside of the suet cage... That's a good idea, too!

Old June 19th, 2010, 06:11 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Indigo bunting

I set up the blind (with a good view of the bear path and dogs in the yard to act as sentinels, and finally managed to get a good shot of the indigo bunting!!

Name:  CSC_0378.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  51.0 KB

If I'd known all it would take to bring him down was a platform feeder, I would have put it up long ago!

Old June 19th, 2010, 09:18 PM
You can call me DOG!

So be honest Hazel...how long did you have to sit in the blind to capture such a beautiful picture of the Indigo?

What a wonderful picture Hazel.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old June 19th, 2010, 09:48 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

He showed up early, maybe 15 minutes into my wait--but you can see he's suspicious the way he's looking toward the camera and he left after that one shot. He checked out the blind a couple of times later, but didn't land on the feeder--he knew something was up. He's a very cagey fella.

Old June 20th, 2010, 04:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Hazel, can u hang the bird feeder from the corners of your house? You know like where Christmas lights would normally go? I know u can buy a pully system for hanging pots so up can lower them and raise them...u could do that with bird feeders too I would think.

And even though that bear is on the other side of the fence u do know it could crash it if it wanted too and they can also run 30mph too if my memory is right. So be careful! When the bear is around can u smell it? Hubs says there is a distinctive smell to them sort of musky.

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old June 20th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I set up the blind (with a good view of the bear path and dogs in the yard to act as sentinels, and finally managed to get a good shot of the indigo bunting!!

Attachment 66665

If I'd known all it would take to bring him down was a platform feeder, I would have put it up long ago!
I hope Mr Hazel was at home, just in case

I just can't believe that these feathers are actually black , beautiful pic

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 20th, 2010, 10:25 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra_Queen View Post
Hazel, can u hang the bird feeder from the corners of your house? You know like where Christmas lights would normally go? I know u can buy a pully system for hanging pots so up can lower them and raise them...u could do that with bird feeders too I would think.

We have to hang them all outside the fence or the dogs eat themselves sick on the seed husks that fall out of them. And now I'd be uncomfortable hanging them anywhere near the house for fear the smell of them would encourage the bear to come over the fence to check them out.

And even though that bear is on the other side of the fence u do know it could crash it if it wanted too and they can also run 30mph too if my memory is right. So be careful! When the bear is around can u smell it? Hubs says there is a distinctive smell to them sort of musky.
Oh, ya...they could get over it pretty quickly. Luckily they haven't had the courage! I hope they never get brave.

And yes, they do have....scent. When hazel first smelled it my first thought was, "Dang! I hope that's not me!" Musky, rancid, hot scent...don't know how they can sneak up on anything with a nose!! Oh, except for hubby, who says he can't smell it.

I smelled it really strongly when we were cleaning up the feeders after the raid, then again two nights later as I was bringing in the feeders (I brought them in really fast ), and not since...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
I just can't believe that these feathers are actually black , beautiful pic
It is hard to believe when you see them in the sun like that. I got a lot more pics today--when I get a chance to resize them, I'll post a few more

Old June 20th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Live well, laugh often

We got to see some very cool owls on our recent camping trip .

Name:  owl1.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  87.9 KB

Name:  owl2.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  67.9 KB
Old June 20th, 2010, 11:09 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

That first owl is such a cutie!!!! What kind is s/he?

Old June 20th, 2010, 11:15 PM
Live well, laugh often

Haven't got a clue . Apparently there was a momma teaching her two babies how to hunt (was close to dusk). Whatever they were they were huge . The owls I've seen around here are more cat sized but these guys could easily carry a cat .
Old June 20th, 2010, 11:27 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

The great horned sure could... Was the first one about the same size?

Old June 20th, 2010, 11:32 PM
Live well, laugh often

I think the first one was the baby and the other (more in the trees) is the momma. The baby was actually facing the other way and then did the full swivel around with the head. Very cool but also kinda creepy .
Old June 20th, 2010, 11:50 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

So that's a baby great horned? Cute little bugger! Urm....big bugger

They kinda creep me out, too, when they do that! Halloween birds.

Old June 21st, 2010, 05:36 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriM View Post
We got to see some very cool owls on our recent camping trip .

Attachment 66694

Attachment 66695
Oh my, they are very cool

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old June 21st, 2010, 05:37 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Hazel, do you think is an Indigo Bunting? It was trying to eat the seeds from the long grass, until I scared it trying to get too close

Name:  ib.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  98.8 KB

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old June 21st, 2010, 09:30 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

It sure is the right size and color, L4H! Aren't they gorgeous?

Old June 24th, 2010, 11:36 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Rose-breasted grosbeaks

Females:

Name:  Rose-breasted grosbeak 6-18-10 A.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  49.3 KB

Name:  Rose-breasted grosbeak 6-17-10 A1.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  54.2 KB

Old June 24th, 2010, 11:36 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Juveniles:

Name:  Rose-breasted grosbeak, juvenile 6-19-10 A.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  42.2 KB

Name:  Rose-breasted grosbeak, juvenile 6-19-10 D.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  45.5 KB

Old June 24th, 2010, 11:38 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Males:

Name:  Rose-breasted grosbeak 6-19-10 B.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  51.9 KB

Name:  Rose-breasted grosbeak in the sumac 6-19-10 A.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  66.7 KB

The adults are beginning to molt, so they're starting to look a bit tattery.

Old June 24th, 2010, 11:40 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

American goldfinches

The brilliant males:

Name:  American goldfinch 6-18-10 B.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  60.2 KB

Name:  American goldfinch 6-19-10 A.jpg
Size:  40.7 KB

Old June 24th, 2010, 11:42 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

And some more-subtly-colored but no less beautiful females:

Name:  American goldfinch 6-19-10 B.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  48.3 KB

Name:  American goldfinch 6-19-10 D.jpg
Size:  55.7 KB

Name:  American goldfinch 6-20-10 B.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  35.8 KB

Old June 24th, 2010, 11:44 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Mourning doves

Name:  Mourning dove in the sumac 6-20-10.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  49.8 KB

Name:  Mourning dove 6-20-10 C.jpg
Size:  91.1 KB

Name:  Mourning dove 6-20-10 E1.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  46.4 KB

Old June 24th, 2010, 11:45 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Chipping sparrows

Two adults and a juvenile (which is the one with the mohawk )

Name:  Chipping sparrow 6-20-10 A.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  54.5 KB

Name:  Chipping sparrow 6-20-10 B.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  58.2 KB

Name:  Chipping sparrow, juvenile 6-20-10 B.jpg
Size:  66.6 KB

Old June 24th, 2010, 11:47 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Indigo buntings

First a couple of pics of one of the females:

Name:  Indigo bunting, female 6-18-10 A.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  42.7 KB

Name:  Indigo bunting, female 6-18-10 B.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  43.1 KB