Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Closed Thread

Old December 10th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Sasha's Den Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin View Post
Yeah, there's no menadione in it anymore. The newer bags don't have it.

Personally, after having so many allergy dogs, I just think this is a recipe for disaster as pertaining to allergies. For dogs who aren't prone to anything, great! But it would be so hard to figure out the allergy for the more sensitive ones...
If you people don't mind me going back to the topic, I wanted to say, in response to Prin's comment here, and that is purely anecdotal, that my GSP who is severely allergic/intolerant to 99 % of dog food on the market actually does quite well on Nature's Variety's Beef and Barley formula.

Purely anecdotal.
Old December 10th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by meb999 View Post
REALLY??? wow, impressive...

so after 7 years you still think that a food with a by-product as a first ingredient is as good as a food with a named MEAT meal as a first ingredient?
interesting....learn something new here everyday

Thanks for sharing your opinion on the matter
I think any foods with fishmeal and/or citric acid are to be avoided so yes,they would be the same in my opinion.

Gonemental,which foods are available in your area?Do you have any smaller chains that carry higher end foods?Or something like Global or Ryans?
Old December 10th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL1
I think any foods with fishmeal and/or citric acid are to be avoided
i am glad to see then that you agree DIAMOND foods are to be avoided, since most contain fish meal

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old December 10th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by technodoll View Post
i am glad to see then that you agree DIAMOND foods are to be avoided, since most contain fish meal

Absolutely,think I said that once or twice a page back.

And alfalfa in addition to citric acid concerns me.

Last edited by LL1; December 10th, 2006 at 08:32 PM.
Old December 10th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Honest Contributor

then all is good. just didn't want to confuse gonementally, who is saying Diamond is a good food, when in reality we all know it's pretty mediocre

Old December 10th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
then all is good. just didn't want to confuse gonementally, who is saying Diamond is a good food, when in reality we all know it's pretty mediocre

No worries.I imagine if they read all the posts the opinions on both foods will be clear.
Old December 10th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Honest Contributor

that would be the best, yes!

Old December 10th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Old December 11th, 2006, 12:47 AM

Inverness, if a dog is allergic to ONE thing, you might accidentally get successful on Nature's Variety. But say I had started Jemma and Boo on it before I knew what was going on with both of them. Jemma would have a body rash and infected ears, and Boo would be puking. How do you figure out what the allergy is when a food has everything in it? Tons of protein sources, tons of grains- it would be just a nightmare.

And a LOT of the dogs who develop allergies now end up with a variety of different allergies and sensitivities.
Old December 11th, 2006, 07:33 AM
Sasha's Den Rescue

Quote:
Inverness, if a dog is allergic to ONE thing, you might accidentally get successful on Nature's Variety. But say I had started Jemma and Boo on it before I knew what was going on with both of them. Jemma would have a body rash and infected ears, and Boo would be puking. How do you figure out what the allergy is when a food has everything in it? Tons of protein sources, tons of grains- it would be just a nightmare.

And a LOT of the dogs who develop allergies now end up with a variety of different allergies and sensitivities.
I didn't say Nature's Variety was a good choice for allergic dogs. I merely stated that MY own very allergic and intolerant dog was somehow ok with the beef and barley. The OP's question was not about allergies, she asked for comments on this food. I shared my own personal experience, that's all. Back to not posting in Prin's food section. It's safer.
Old December 11th, 2006, 01:19 PM

No, post away! I'm sorry. I just had to mention it because I only know one dog who can eat every food without a problem. Everybody else is allergic to something.

Have you figured out what your doggies were allergic to? Sometimes they aren't allergic to the same ingredients when they're higher quality.
Old December 11th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Honest Contributor

another person's experiencehere... the only dogs i know who are "allergic" to foods are the ones mentioned on this forum, and my dad's little mixed rescue who can't eat pork without getting cannon butt. otherwise... i had no idea there were so many dogs with allergies around. it sounds rampant! what have we done to our cats and dogs with the introduction of commercial petfoods, i wonder...

Old December 11th, 2006, 01:36 PM

Once they start though, it seems you can't go back. They just develop more and more. Some people believe that it's the Ol'Roys that make them sensitive and with rescues, a lot of the time, that's probably what they got before us.:sad:
Old December 11th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
another person's experiencehere... the only dogs i know who are "allergic" to foods are the ones mentioned on this forum, and my dad's little mixed rescue who can't eat pork without getting cannon butt. otherwise... i had no idea there were so many dogs with allergies around. it sounds rampant! what have we done to our cats and dogs with the introduction of commercial petfoods, i wonder...
Well really allergies are becoming more popular among people too. I didn't hear of many kids when I was growing up that couldn't be around peanut butter, but no it is a common thing. So I guess it is something being done to the people food as well as the pet food
Old December 11th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
So I guess it is something being done to the people food as well as the pet food
i agree... and it's called "processed food". every decade there are more and more "convenience" foods and artificial flavors of cereals and tv dinners coming out... the trend for fast-food is not slowing down and the repercussions are starting to show now.

Old December 11th, 2006, 01:45 PM

hehe I guess it's one way of thinning out the weaker ones from the herd...
Old December 11th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

Quote:
Once they start though, it seems you can't go back. They just develop more and more. Some people believe that it's the Ol'Roys that make them sensitive and with rescues, a lot of the time, that's probably what they got before us.:sad:

Not always Prin. If you remember, poor Rosco had the itchies something terrible when I put him on Canidae at 10 weeks old. after confrming it was a food allergy, we got him sorted out and well, hes doing great! Hes has had all the protien sources that are in Canidae, (only raw) and hasnt bothered him in the least. Maybe hes grown out of it..maybe its the raw diet. Hard to say..

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old December 11th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by prin
I guess it's one way of thinning out the weaker ones from the herd...
yeah... feed them ol'roy with peanuts

Old December 11th, 2006, 01:52 PM

Oops, sorry Scott. I meant, once you get one, usually eventually you get another and then another...
Old December 11th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott
Hes has had all the protien sources that are in Canidae, (only raw) and hasnt bothered him in the least
as cooking alters a meat's chemisty, you will often see this "phemomena". raw proteins are fine, but cook them and the dog is allergic - remember, nature did NOT build them to eat cooked foods and this is their body's way of protesting

Old December 11th, 2006, 01:55 PM

phemomena do doooo dododo

I think different ways of cooking alter in different ways too.
Old December 11th, 2006, 01:56 PM

Very true Techno, and its one of the reasons I switched him to the raw diet.

That said, he has had cookies and such like northern biscuts that have chicken, or fish or the Canidae biscuts that have lamb and hes been fine with those. So again, its hard to say totally. All I know, hes healthy, and looks great!

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

Old December 11th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Honest Contributor

priiiiiiiiiiin.... come towards the light... joooin ussss....

Old December 11th, 2006, 02:04 PM

hmm... But my friends Ecoli and Salmonella keep telling me not to listen to you guys.
Old December 11th, 2006, 02:10 PM

Well of course they would say that..they're the bad guys

Old December 11th, 2006, 02:16 PM

lol Hmm...
Old December 11th, 2006, 02:20 PM

doooooit!

Old December 11th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Honest Contributor

oooo think of jemma with a plush super-shiny coat, no dandruff, no allergies... and you don't have to battle with any petfood company to discuss the ingredients

Old December 11th, 2006, 03:02 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL1 View Post
:Gonemental,which foods are available in your area?Do you have any smaller chains that carry higher end foods?Or something like Global or Ryans?
haven't heard of anything but this is a big city so SOMEWHERE there should be something.
Old December 11th, 2006, 07:01 PM

HA HA, Scott. Lucky I don't listen to my inner voice, especially when it comes from somebody else (he sent me subliminal messages by pm ). Very funny though.

Not sure. I'm sure I can find a kibble again that does Jemma good things too. I KNOW IT!
Closed Thread