Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Closed Thread

Old October 20th, 2004, 04:14 PM
Sammi

Rainbow Park....any info?

Can any memebers tell me about Rainbow Park? I am huge believer in adopting dogs from Humane societies etc, but I realise not everyone can or wants to do that .
I have a relative that is looking for a puppy........................... She has Cystic Fibrosis and has difficulty breathing :sad: . She is looking for a retriever type dog that wont affect her breathing, as in "non-shedding".

A client of ours has a retriever crossed with a standard poodle, to "make" a hypo-allergenic retriever. They obtained her from "Rainbow Park" and recommended it to me for my relative. Their dog happens to be the picture of health, (we've only ever seen it for it's annual vaccines and spay).

My question is...................is this a good place? or a BYB? I don't want to get my relatives hopes up, if it's a place to stay away from. Is there an address on this place? All I know is that it's in Pickering.

Thanks
Sammi
Old October 20th, 2004, 04:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Total puppymill - http://www.rainbowpark.ca/currentpuppies.htm
Old October 20th, 2004, 04:36 PM
<-----nut ball

I was going to write something...but I can't think straight right now..soo hungry..need food.

I think some people might says it's a puppy mill. Looks to me like it's a for profit puppy broker who sells designer dogs from puppy mills/BYBs.

Just because they are for profit though (although many people may not agree with the situation), I guess it's possible that this people acutually might care a lot about their dogs and keep good care of them.

Who knows..

Off for leftover chinese food...Mmmm
Old October 20th, 2004, 04:39 PM
Senior Contributor

What about a soft coated wheaton terrier. It is really about the dogs dander and not the hair. So you might want to consider this each person reacts differently to each dog.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old October 20th, 2004, 05:29 PM
Senior Contributor

wow,how many different puppies do they sell???That is crazy
Old October 20th, 2004, 11:21 PM
Love all creatures

Maybe the humane society should check that place out...
Old October 20th, 2004, 11:32 PM
~Cat Servent~

But the babies are cheaper with cash????!!!! Good God!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old October 21st, 2004, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbulliest
Maybe the humane society should check that place out...
I asked the OSPCA to look into it. They never got back to me.
Old October 21st, 2004, 09:47 AM
Sammi

Wow! Thanks guys, will totally stay away from there.
I will suggest that she looks into Weatons.

I think the idea would be that she visits as many different breeds as possible and see if she reacts to them. I know she wont adopt/buy one unless she's 100% sure that it'll work out . She even finds it harder to breath around my schnauzer :sad:

Thanks again, you guys rock!
Old October 21st, 2004, 02:54 PM
<-----nut ball

I would advise your relative not to get a dog as it sounds like she is allergic on top of the CF.

There are no non-allergenic dogs (despite what people think). The thing that people are allergic to in dogs or cats is a protein found in the dander and saliva and urine. People tend to have more allergic reactions to cats because they constantly cover themselves in saliva. This protein is very "sticky" and will stick to everything in your home. The airborne particles of this protein stick to your clothes, floor, skin, walls, ventilation system, EVERYWHERE! It actually takes between 6 months and a year for all the protein to go away after a dog or cat is no longer in the home.

A non-shedding dog might cause less allergies because the protein stays on the dog, as opposed to falling off and getting into the air.

And allergies do get worse with exposure....not better. My asthma doctor says even a lot of doctors think that but it's not true.
Old October 21st, 2004, 03:05 PM
owned by Tucker

Thumbs down

My boss just bought a puppy from somewhere like that could be there as she lives in Pickering, the puppy a Min Maltese was taken to the vets last week and she has a heart mermer so poor little thing has just lost half of her life expectancy. They sound like puppy mills to me to.
Attached Images

Old May 6th, 2008, 04:43 PM

Rainbow Park is NOT a puppy mill.

You shouldn t assume that just because they say puppies are cheaper with cash make them a puppy mill. Duh..credit card companies charge a percentage on the sale. A lot of places will sell cheaper if you pay cash as opposed to credit.
I bought two dogs from there. I bought a goldendoodle 3 yrs ago and a Shi Bi last year. Both dogs are in perfect health and have excellent temperments. Don't you think that that if the puppies had come from a puppy mill they would have issues. Rainbow Park sells their dogs for a fair price unlike some breeders who charge thousands ($2500???). If you look at the website carefully you will notice that they go and pick up the pups the day of your appointment. That is...the pups remain at their first home with their littermates, in a home and not penned up in a cage for hours (like the SPCA) or like the puppy mills we see on TV. Although I am a big fan of SPCA, the puppies there are traumatized and stressed out. At Rainbow park the pups go directly from their mom to your arms.
The pups also come vet checked and guaranteed.
If you notice on the website Rainbow Park has been in the media in a very positive light. They have been on TV and in the Globe and Mail and the Vancouver Sun.
I am sure the Humane Society has checked them out anyhow. They have been in the business along time.
Old May 6th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Rainbow Park

Does this place offer any health guarantees with each sale? and for what time frame?
Old May 6th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Owned by goldens

First of all your dogs as you call them Shi Bi and Goldendoodle's are not breeds of dogs. They are mixed breeds and no different from any puppy you can get at a shelter. This is why they may be "cheaper" than from a good breeder. I don't think I want to get a puppy because it is "cheaper" . A good breeder does not sell mixed breed dogs. I repeat, a good breeder does not sell mixed breed dogs. A good breeder also does not breed for profit but for the betterment and love of the breed.
Fortunately your two dogs have been healthy..... so far. Unfortunately this may not be the case in 5 years.
Rainbow Park may not be a puppy mill however they look like they may be brokers. This thread is 4 years old by the way.
Old May 6th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Garden nut

Every time I see a new member with only 1 post count who comments on a post about something they see as negative... raises suspicion in my opinion as if the person writing the post is part of the organization and defending it. Most of these types of members don't stick around long and everyone should do their own research before believing anything posted on a message forum.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but it just seems odd. That and the OP (original post) is almost 4 years old.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old May 7th, 2008, 12:36 PM

Rainbow Park is a Puppymill broker

Rainbow Park is a puppymill broker - they act as the "middle-man" for various puppymills in the East End Region. You can not go to their facility and just turn up - you have to make an appointment to view their dogs. They charge about $750 plus taxes per dog. They have wooden boxes (about 20 of them) in this shed area - the boxes have about 7 puppies in each - that's a lot of puppies. The older dogs they don't sell go on sale and are kept in a different area - I dread to think what conditions these are in - as they won't show you them without a prior appointment. The place stinks too.

Rainbow Park is all about the CASH $$

Save your money and go to a reputable breeder or shelter or rescue - and not a puppymill broker.

There are many amazing people in the pet industry who truly have compassion and ethics - this is not one of these operations - they are a brokerage for puppymill dogs. In order to stop puppy-mills one must stop purchasing from these types of operations. Purchasing from these places only continues the cycle of pain for the pets that are sold from these establishments.

Kind regards, Juno's mom
Old September 18th, 2008, 02:26 PM

Well folks, I'm a newcomer to the board, so I would assume you'll take my comments with a grain of salt. Rainbow might have paid me off!

Now that we have that nonsense out of the way...

When we began looking for a dog, we were referred to Rainbow Park by a number of neighbours who have bought their pets there. They have all been happy with their mixed breed dogs. During my research into Rainbow Park, I read this old thread and filed it in the back of my mind for our visit.

What we found was a professionally run business, in someone's home. Yes, they are brokers but the seem genuinely concerned for their little guests. The families that breed for them have been involved with them for many years and there are no secrets as to who/where a dog's parents are.

You can't criticize someone for wanting to earn a living. Nor can you criticize someone for not wanting drop-ins when their business is in their home.

I know that many dog people look down their noses at mixed breeds. Get over yourselves. Not everybody wants a ckc reg dog.

Our gigantic Golden-Poo, Enzo is a happy, healthy part of the family and has a great temperament. We have recommended other friends to RP and have considered making another visit ourselves.
Old September 18th, 2008, 02:28 PM

ps....I too realize this is an old thread. I was just poking about google to see what new puppies were on the RP site and came across the thread again.

Gary Grant
thegarageblog.com
Old September 18th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Senior Contributor

[QUOTE=gravlguts;658907]I know that many dog people look down their noses at mixed breeds. Get over yourselves. Not everybody wants a ckc reg dog.QUOTE]

I am curious where you get all this nonsense from? New or not new, I think you should read some threads, get to know the people a little here and then I don't think you would make such outlandish remarks...

BTW - welcome.
Old September 18th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Geek Club CEO

Many of us here have mutts (I have two...well, technically three) and no one snubs them. Have a look around before you make judgements.

We don't dislike MUTTS...we dislike people who BREED them for PROFIT.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)

Last edited by bendyfoot; September 18th, 2008 at 03:01 PM.
Old September 18th, 2008, 02:56 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravlguts View Post
I know that many dog people look down their noses at mixed breeds. Get over yourselves. Not everybody wants a ckc reg dog.
Most people on this board do not have a ckc reg dog. Many people here do rescue work and foster and lots adopt from shelters, etc. Most people here try to encourage everyone not to support back yard breeders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravlguts View Post
What we found was a professionally run business, in someone's home. Yes, they are brokers but the seem genuinely concerned for their little guests. The families that breed for them have been involved with them for many years and there are no secrets as to who/where a dog's parents are.
They may very well seem concerned but they are brokers for and are only supporting a group of back yard breeders. :sad:
Old September 18th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Magical Mystery Tour

"But the babies are cheaper with cash!" on their website makes me want to vomit.

Even though it's an old thread, looks like Rainbow park is still in operation.

I'm sure they looked all caring when visited (or if it's actually your business, Mr. 2 Posts) but please - they're salespeople trying to make a buck and will do anything they can to make buyers believe that they're buying from an "ethical breeder". They use key words to convince you that they only get dogs from long term trusted "breeders", are vet checked, anything to convince you that they're not the sleezeballs that they really are. Of course you can't see their "breeder facilities" or you'd see what's really going on. The wool gets pulled over the eyes of buyers because not many people want to buy unethically. I'm sure you want to believe that this isn't a mill or byb and they'll tell you anything they can to make you believe it.

I've watched people get sucked in by the cheaper prices, the fast talk, smiling faces. It's a scam of sad proportions.

And I can criticize someone for making a living if it's a living based on their own pretty version of a puppy mill. It's unethical. It's borderline illegal. It's a filthy way to make a buck. It's nothing but MONEY to them. They don't care if the dog you buy from them is unhealthy and will require thousands of dollars of medical care, is being sent to laboratories for research or will become a puppy mill dog themselves - it's all about the cash.

Sick.

"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am." - Toby and Eileen Green
Old September 18th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyhick View Post
"But the babies are cheaper with cash!" on their website makes me want to vomit.

Even though it's an old thread, looks like Rainbow park is still in operation.

I'm sure they looked all caring when visited (or if it's actually your business, Mr. 2 Posts) but please - they're salespeople trying to make a buck and will do anything they can to make buyers believe that they're buying from an "ethical breeder". They use key words to convince you that they only get dogs from long term trusted "breeders", are vet checked, anything to convince you that they're not the sleezeballs that they really are. Of course you can't see their "breeder facilities" or you'd see what's really going on. The wool gets pulled over the eyes of buyers because not many people want to buy unethically. I'm sure you want to believe that this isn't a mill or byb and they'll tell you anything they can to make you believe it.

I've watched people get sucked in by the cheaper prices, the fast talk, smiling faces. It's a scam of sad proportions.

And I can criticize someone for making a living if it's a living based on their own pretty version of a puppy mill. It's unethical. It's borderline illegal. It's a filthy way to make a buck. It's nothing but MONEY to them. They don't care if the dog you buy from them is unhealthy and will require thousands of dollars of medical care, is being sent to laboratories for research or will become a puppy mill dog themselves - it's all about the cash.

Sick.
Well you said it all in one breathe I am sure. WELL DONE! I don't think that anyone could put it better. If there is further challenge on this subject - I want to be on your team - WOW!
Old September 18th, 2008, 04:09 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

i wanna be on your team too, pick me pick me....
Old September 18th, 2008, 06:33 PM
-

Well written excellent post, Gypsyhick.
Old September 18th, 2008, 09:32 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Well said Gypsyhick!!! I wanna join your team too.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old September 18th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Magical Mystery Tour

Woohoo! Thanks for the kind words, folks

"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am." - Toby and Eileen Green
Old September 19th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Well Gypsyhick - you have a strong following.

I don't think that anyone will want to challenge you on this subject. If so, we all stand behind you and let you be the spokesperson.
Old September 19th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

It's run it's course. Thx Marko
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Closed Thread