Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old May 31st, 2014, 10:34 AM

Exclamation What's my breed ?

Hello there! About six months ago, my girlfriend and I adopted an adorable little Kitten we named Gideon. Today, Gideon as a huge, crazy troublemaker whom we love to death. He is wild, crazy, and so full of energy. We adopted Gideon from a couple on Kijiji, and were given no information about his past. Honestly, they were a little shady, and we like to think we saved him by giving him a good, loving home. The reason I am posting here today is to find out exactly what species of cat Gideon is. At first, we thought he was simply a Grey Tabby, but as he had gotten older, his markings and his personality are leading us to believe that perhaps he has some Bengal blood in him. We can;t be sure, therefor we are posting here to perhaps find out exactly what our little Gideon is. Thanks in Advance for your help! Below are some photos of Gideon then and now.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old May 31st, 2014, 03:56 PM
Senior Contributor

For species he is a domestic cat. Breed? Unless you got him from a reputable breeder you are never going to know. He's very pretty but he looks a lot, a lot, a lot like a kitten I have right now who we found in a nest when we live trapped her mother. Especially his face, I'm struck with how much he looks like our Derri.

DSH Domestic Short Hair, grey tabby. Love his name.
Old June 4th, 2014, 01:27 PM

Tabby is the most common coat pattern gene. It's the pattern wild cat's coats come in. Most people are familiar with the stripe version of tabby, but tabby patterning can vary widely. There are five kinds of tabby patterns. Here's an article explaining and showing the different kinds of patterning.

http://www.catster.com/cats-101/tabby-cat

Here's another site, that goes into more detail on the genetics (this may more detail than you want, but I like learning about how genetics work and maybe you do too)

http://threecatyard.wordpress.com/an...coat-patterns/
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-

Tags
breed, breed mix, cat