Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old January 19th, 2014, 10:21 AM

Looking for Leonberger breeder

Hi, I am searching for a Leonberger breeder. I am looking for a very calm and stable Leo, and feel a bit overwhelmed in the breeder search. I do not live near any breeders, and in fact, a visit to a potential breeder would involve a flight across the country. I am willing to do this, but I want to do as much research ahead of time as possible.

Any thoughts? Good experiences? Bad experiences? I have seen references to hyper Leos, and it seems to me this should be a fault - from all the reading I have done it would seem they should never be considered hyper. I want to avoid this if at all possible.

Thanks!
Old January 19th, 2014, 11:41 AM

It would help to know where you are located A good rule of thumb is to start with your local club's website and find some shows to attend, speak to breeders, and go from there.
Old January 19th, 2014, 11:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki Love View Post
It would help to know where you are located A good rule of thumb is to start with your local club's website and find some shows to attend, speak to breeders, and go from there.
Yeah that would be a good start, knowing where the OP is located. What about Leonberger rescue shelter , there could be dogs waiting for a forever home. People buy dogs and have no idea how big they'll get and end up putting them in a shelter.
Old January 19th, 2014, 11:55 AM

I am in Saskatchewan, and there are not any breeders within 800km. Most are much further.

I have done extensive reading, and spoken to a few breeders located elsewhere in the country.
Old January 19th, 2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
Yeah that would be a good start, knowing where the OP is located. What about Leonberger rescue shelter , there could be dogs waiting for a forever home. People buy dogs and have no idea how big they'll get and end up putting them in a shelter.
There are no Leonbergers currently in rescue that I have found, either in the US or Canada. Thankfully it seems not many of these end up in rescue.
Old January 19th, 2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StompinTania View Post
I am in Saskatchewan, and there are not any breeders within 800km. Most are much further.

I have done extensive reading, and spoken to a few breeders located elsewhere in the country.
http://www.leonbergerclubofcanada.com/blog/

I'd start here. They have a list of breeders within good standing on their page, but be sure you do your own research too - proper health testing (posted to the OFA website) and the kind of lineage you're looking for - show dogs, working dog lines, etc.

I know of some people who have driven nearly 20 hours to pick up their puppy (one way!) so it's quite realistic that you won't find a breeder within the close vicinity of you. You should prepare yourself now that you are going to have to drive, or pay for shipping perhaps of your puppy - should that be the route you go.

Good luck with your search.
Old January 20th, 2014, 12:10 AM
Senior Contributor

One of our members here (Breeze) has a Leonberger, perhaps she will see this thread and give you some help. They are a beautiful dog.
Old April 15th, 2014, 10:14 AM

breeders close to you

There is a breeder in sylvan lake alberta, who's dog was just bred. go to prairiesongleons and also puppies avaible in red deer alberta, go to countryhillsleonburger

I am sure these places are closer than 800 km. they might fly them to a airport also.
Old April 15th, 2014, 02:40 PM

Not sure how far you are willing to travel but Heronview Raw & Natural is my dog food supplier and they also breed Leonberger dogs and Alpacas. They are located 7692 Ashburn Road, Whitby, Ontario L1M 1L5. 905.655.5747. www.heronviewleonbergers.com
They went to Germany for their 7 yr old male. I think he is as big as a chest freezer
Old May 27th, 2014, 12:34 PM

did you get one?

stompin tanyia, did you find a leonberger breeder?