Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old December 17th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Formerly Bastien

Question American Bulldog/Dogo Argentino

Hi, i just bought a 6 Week old American Bulldog mixed with a Dogo Argentino and i was wondering if any of you guys would know arround how big he can get? And let me know what you think about this kind of dog
Old December 17th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Senior Contributor

Dog experience would be great! You are going to have a dog 80 lbs I think maybe? I'm sure he'll be stunning. 6 weeks old your getting him? Little too soon.
Old December 17th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Formerly Bastien

Yes i know its a bit soon, but his mother sadly got stolen not long ago , but ill try and give him all the attention he needs so he has a good life

We also bought his little sister, so they are not alone
Attached Images

Old December 17th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Senior Contributor

I know both breeds very well.

Very important to ensure to keep your dog very well socialized around dogs, cats and people in general. I highly recommend puppy classes as you have a high power breed combination.

The size will be a large and muscular breed combo.

Word to the wise..if you live in a state, province or country where pitbulls and amstaffs are restricted, please make sure that the paperwork on this dog clearly reads the breeds within. Make sure that if you do not have official papers, the vet papers clearly indicate the breed. Also when licensing the dog make sure it clearly states as well. THIS is the best advise that I can give you.
Old December 17th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Senior Contributor

For sure "Puppy classes" Very sweet looking pups!
Old December 17th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Formerly Bastien

Thanks Guys!
Old December 17th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Don't disappear from this forum now... We want to hear much more about your adventures ahead.
Old December 17th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Formerly Bastien

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
Don't disappear from this forum now... We want to hear much more about your adventures ahead.
Haha dont worry about that, im not going nowhere, i love forums like this, and ill have plenty of questions and sugestion for you guys
Old December 17th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Formerly Bastien

Here is a picture of Bully's dad

100 Pounds Dogo Argentino Very nice dog!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by BastienBully; December 17th, 2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old December 17th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Now that just looks like double trouble to me

I see you are in Ontario. I hope you will heed Benmax's advice about documenting the breed of your dog.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 17th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Formerly Bastien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Now that just looks like double trouble to me

I see you are in Ontario. I hope you will heed Benmax's advice about documenting the breed of your dog.
Yes im will, im not exacly sure what this meens tho where do i do that?
Old December 17th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
I know both breeds very well.

Very important to ensure to keep your dog very well socialized around dogs, cats and people in general. I highly recommend puppy classes as you have a high power breed combination.

The size will be a large and muscular breed combo.

Word to the wise..if you live in a state, province or country where pitbulls and amstaffs are restricted, please make sure that the paperwork on this dog clearly reads the breeds within. Make sure that if you do not have official papers, the vet papers clearly indicate the breed. Also when licensing the dog make sure it clearly states as well. THIS is the best advise that I can give you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastien View Post
Yes im will, im not exacly sure what this meens tho where do i do that?
See BenMax's quote above this.

I am sure you are aware that animal control can take you dogs away if they appear to look like a pitbull or pitbull mix. Without the proper documentation, ie papers from the breeder documenting who the parents are and have your vet document them as the same mixed breed, your dogs could be seized and put down . All thanks to Bryant and McGuinty

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 17th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Good thing you are sticking around...

I assume that you are aware of the pitbull/amstaff restriction in your province. What you may not be aware of then it that ANY dog that remotely resembles one of these dogs (even if they are not) can and will be ceased and destroyed. In particular, boxer X, dogos, and American Bulldog are MISTAKEN to be pitbull and/or amstaff X. As a result, based on the standard measurement of the head, ears, eyes, shoulders or any other attribute that THEY (meaning the AC or those enforcing this stupid law) deem restricted by law, these dogs can and will be ceased and killed.

Since your pup will have these attributes, I highly suggest that you do some research and empower yourself with the knowledge. You MUST also ensure that all documentation related to this dog clearly indicates the associated breeds. Make darn sure this is done or else you are headed for some serious heartbreak.

I have moved out many dogs from Ontario that clearly were NOT restricted but because they had no documentation as to breed or type, they were either to be exiled into another province or killed.
Old December 17th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Formerly Bastien

Ok well i looked at the papers i have for the dog, and i have some papers from the vet, for his shots, and it says Dogo Argentino/American Bulldog on them, i hope thats going to be good enough

Stupid Laws!!!! If ever they take my dog...
Old December 17th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Ok well this is a good start. DNA testing is available HOWEVER, if it comes up inconclusive then this is a grey area and also can lead to an unfavourable ending.

When you license your dog ensure that you bring the vetting documentation with you just in case they do not trust your word. Do not give any documentation unless they specifically ask for it. Do not divuldge any further information than this. Get in and get out.
Old December 17th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Formerly Bastien

Quote:
Ok well this is a good start. DNA testing is available HOWEVER, if it comes up inconclusive then this is a grey area and also can lead to an unfavourable ending.

When you license your dog ensure that you bring the vetting documentation with you just in case they do not trust your word. Do not give any documentation unless they specifically ask for it. Do not divuldge any further information than this. Get in and get out.
Thank you sooo much! Lets just hope it never gets to that point, i live in the contry so i should be ok for now.
Old December 17th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Bastien, your pups are gorgeous, both of them. I sure hope that you don't run into any issues with their breed. As BM said, dogs like this are just one pen stroke away from heartbreak. It's so sad and ridiculous. Umm, feel free to post as many pics as you want to!
Old December 17th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Formerly Bastien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
Umm, feel free to post as many pics as you want to!
I will, im always taking pictures of him (btw the little one is my friends), Here is a couple more pics:
Attached Images

Old December 17th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG,they are so sweet
You should definitely heed BenMax's advice,she knows what she is talking about.

I am not experienced with dog-breeds,but looking at your puppies daddy,at first glance I would misstakingly say he was a Pit-Bull,the same could happen with your pup.
Old December 17th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Oh they are just so cute

Please do take Benmax's advice, she has had experience with this law in Ontario.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old December 17th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG I have died and gone to puppy heaven. Great breeds and definitely heed Benmax's warnings. I have an AB too but mine is the type that looks more boxer bulldog. You have the type who people stupidly say it looks like a Pit or Staff and since Dogos have that same look people assume before they know or have even heard of a Dogo. I personally love anything Mastiff and they are great but always make sure that you have there respect not by aggression but by positive reinforcement. Having owned Mastiffs and now an AB they can be stubborn as mules. But yelling at them or even trying to be alpha with them can backfire on you. The worst punishment you can inflict is ignoring them this is devastating to them. They truly are velcro dogs. We will be expecting lots of pics of these cuties. Welcome to the board
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old December 17th, 2010, 06:37 PM

Adorable!
Lovey - Female Fawn Boxer (RESCUE)
Anakin - Male Brindle Boxer (RESCUE)

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mohandas Gandhi -

~Until there are none, rescue one ~

Boxer Rescue - www.rescueaboxer.com
Scentsy - www.ilovescents.ca
Old December 17th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

If that picture is of the dad, the father is the american bulldog, Dogos are only white.

Cute pups though, but they will get labeled as "Pitbulls" sadly.
No matter how much paper work your vet gives you on the actual mix of the pups, or the "breeder" stating anything, unless there are registration papers they can be seized and euthanized.
Its not up to the vet/breeder/owner to state what breed the dogs in Ontario are, final descision is made by a judge.
Also, the law does hide behind, "substantially similar" as well.
Old December 17th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Doggie Wench

Your pups are truly beautiful but, I can't help but feel an overwhelming sense of anxiety for their future in Ontario. Seeing they were removed much too young from their littermates and mom, I was going to suggest a puppy socialization class asap. Only problem is, is it would take only one complaint and they'd be in serious trouble. Doesn't matter if you live in the country, someone is going to see them eventually.

I'm with erykah, a certificate from the breeder or vet would do no good. I question the motives of the person who bred the parents as well. Who would do something like that knowing what the laws in Ontario are and risking these dogs' lives ?
Old December 17th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Lucky Penny, it is happening a lot here, breeding breeds together that will have the resemblance of a bully. Boxer and anything mixes, cane corso boxer mixes, dogo x something smaller, jack russel or parsons russel to boxer ect... then you still have your bully breeding going on right in the cities and on MANY reserves. Its very sad.
Old December 17th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Doggie Wench

That's just beyond irresponsible. And so sad.
Old December 18th, 2010, 12:47 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

Since they became illegal, there is a HUGE market for them now, even using the word market makes my stomach clench up but sadly to these people that is what it is.
You have to watch the "American bull dog" ads now since kijiji will no longer list Dogo's, "pitbulls" or Am.Staffs for sale unless from a reputable rescue. People know when they are seeing ads for American bull dogs with no papers, they know they are inquiring about "pitbulls".
In the next town over from us there is a woman doing this, I believe this is where elmo came from origionally since i creeped her facebook ( she doesnt know how to set privacy settings) and there was a pup in her photo albums that HAS to be Elmo.
She just had another litter, there are a lot of us scratching our heads trying to figure out what we should do. Report her? and know that the pups and parents will be killed or ???? I personally wouldnt want to know that because of me a litter of innocent pups dies because I reported her, but on the other hand, if we did report her we could save countless lives. Still she will just start up again.
Like I said, when I'm working on reservations now every second house has a "pitbull" or two where they didnt before.

Sorry to thread jack so badly Bastien, this is the world that you are now going to get very familiar with though just because of what your cutie pies may slightly resemble.
Old December 20th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Formerly Bastien

Quote:
Originally Posted by erykah1310 View Post
If that picture is of the dad, the father is the american bulldog, Dogos are only white.
I know that dogo's are only white, but ive seen the odd one with a bit of black and was purebreed dogo with papers maybe the dad is not 100% pure tho.... but thats what the breader said. And on the papers to.

Im not saying your wrong lol Thanks
Old December 20th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Formerly Bastien

Thanks everyone for your inputs and comments, ill make sure to get the papers for my dog
Old December 20th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
I'm with erykah, a certificate from the breeder or vet would do no good. I question the motives of the person who bred the parents as well. Who would do something like that knowing what the laws in Ontario are and risking these dogs' lives ?
This is not entirely true LP. I have pulled many dogs from Ontario that otherwise would have been ok had the breeders papers or the vetting paperwork stated that they were X breed. I have also spoken to several animal control officers pleading with them to recognize the dog as a mix of anything but amstaff or pit. Their answer was clear...get me medical documents or breeding papers to prove it. This was brought to me on more than one occasion.

However, in the end yes you are right in a way,.. and it does not take a judge to say what lives or dies, it's animal control UNLESS it goes to court.

It is better to have something than nothing. I think empowering this person is better than discouraging something that has already happened. The OP really should be getting as much paperwork as possible to show what breed mix his dogs are before going out in public in my opinion.