Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old October 3rd, 2004, 07:26 PM

Thumbs down Name calling and insults - Message from Admin

If you call someone a moron or stupid, etc. it reflects badly on yourself. It doesn't lend credibility to your case, which is unfortunate when you have a good case. Let's try to keep things civil. If you really believe someone is that stupid that you have to call him/her stupid, then you probably shouldn't be replying to that post at all... Am I wrong?
Old October 3rd, 2004, 07:35 PM

Well, yes and no. I don't get why some people reply to posts just to get everyone worked up. I don't like calling people stupid, as I don't like that myself, but if someone is gonna be dumb enough to reply to a thread just to make people angry, well, that is pretty stupid. I also don't like being called names, like racist, on a public forum so I do not appologize for calling a certain someone stupid. That's a lot less harsh than racist, and them calling someone they don't know racist, again, that is pretty stupid.

I don't feel it discredits anyone by being passionate about something they believe in. If someone makes me that angry, which is rare, that I call them stupid, I make sure it's something I'm not gonna regret later. That's just my opinion.
Old October 3rd, 2004, 07:45 PM

I also agree STRONGLY that calling someone a racist (especially you!! almost laughable, but too terrible to be funny) is much worse than calling them stupid. I just worried that when I read over that thread that the good side was coming off all wrong. The anti-BSL side has a lot going for it, and shouldn't have to resort to name calling. It wasn't just you. But I do understand where you're coming from. From everything I know of you, you're warm-hearted and sweet and love animals a lot. I just wouldn't want someone to disregard what you have to say.
Old October 3rd, 2004, 07:58 PM

Thanks Moon! I feel that all of us"regulars" are quite passionate about our pets and you have been great! My analagy on that thread might not have been the best I could have come up with, but most definitely being called such a HORRIBLE thing like racist isn't something I take to kindly to. Anti-BSL does have a lot more going for it than pro-BSL, and although I haven't done as much research on my own, everyone fighting it has taught me a lot. I just wish some people would be more open to fighting it and learning the facts! I have no problem with people when their opposing arguments make sense and they are really trying to learn more, about BOTH sides! Why do people have to be so ignorant? The lives of hundreds, THOUSANDS of pitbulls are hanging in the balance, and people like BTPB are totally unwilling to see the negative effects of BSL. It just breaks my heart.

For anyone wanting to post anything on this forum, please be sure to post your opposing views tastefully, and be sure to do your research beforehand. We are all pet lovers here and are more than willing to hear the other side of an argument, when brought up with tact.
Old October 4th, 2004, 07:56 AM
banned user

Hey moon... I know I don't have to explain myself but I did call that person a moron, because the things they were saying were just that... moronic.
Could I have used a better word? Probably. But would it have made a difference? I'm thinking not!
I didn't want to get into the discussion on that thread but a dog grabbing a shirt isn't an attack and shouldn't be called one especially when referring to a BSL. I could've said that on the thread but it wouldn't have made a difference either.
Saying what I did was just for me I guess... to make me feel better and it did! And if someone thinks it was wrong so be it!
But I don't think it makes me look bad and I didn't call a warm, awesome person a racist just as I didn't call a kind, knowledgable person a moron.
Old October 4th, 2004, 08:47 AM

I honestly try not to bash new comers that are seeking advice. If they are rude and ignorant, that's usually when I get upset. I do understand that for most new comers that this is probably their first pet, so I don't want them to think that they're on their own. I will bash new comers that are only here to cause trouble....
Old October 4th, 2004, 01:49 PM

I know it's hard to stay civil when people are being purposefully insulting. I think I understand Tamara's point though. We're just sinking to that person's level, and then all the newbies and folks browsing read the posts and think we're all rabid. IMHO, our best bet with folks like "that one" would be to reply with a simple "There have been numerous posts citing perfectly valid reasons why BLS won't work. Please review them at your liesure.". How frustrating would that be for someone looking to start a fight?
Old October 4th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Kitty Mum

If this had to do with my comment made to BTPB. I do not feel bad saying what I said. He/she was obviously here just to cause trouble. Not to make a point and discuss it with the rest of us. What they said was truly stupid and did not make any sense. I am not in the habit of "bashing" others. I am quite the opposite and would think of myself as a very kind and caring person. Maybe I care too much and when someone who comes here just to cause trouble and upset people it is very disgusting and I feel the need to respond to them. If I offended this person - which I did not because they never came back and read any response to them (as I excpected) - I do not really care. If I offended anyone else here I do apologize because as far as I know everyone else here is a doll! Even if we may not always agree. I would never say anything mean just to be cruel spirited and cause trouble. If it is myself that anyone is mad at please PM me.

I myself would also never call such a kind person a racist - that is really mean!
Old October 4th, 2004, 03:57 PM

Thanks tyr.
Old October 4th, 2004, 04:26 PM
Kitty Mum

The truth is the easiest thing to say in the world So no problem
Old October 4th, 2004, 05:40 PM
Senior Contributor

in a thread i just called the priminister of australia (till the weekend, good by) an idiot and dumb and stupid and ugly. but hey are all true statements and evidence can be found everywhere
Old October 4th, 2004, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writing4Fun
I know it's hard to stay civil when people are being purposefully insulting. I think I understand Tamara's point though. We're just sinking to that person's level, and then all the newbies and folks browsing read the posts and think we're all rabid. IMHO, our best bet with folks like "that one" would be to reply with a simple "There have been numerous posts citing perfectly valid reasons why BLS won't work. Please review them at your liesure.". How frustrating would that be for someone looking to start a fight?
Yeah, and to clarify I know I'm not perfect AT ALL, and when I just reread the first post of this thread, I sort of come off sounding like I'm mightier than thou. But Writing4Fun is exactly right about my intention. YES, there are jerks and morons here -- but those of us who have valid things to say have no need to stoop to their level.

People keep responding to this idea with "I have no apologies for what I said. He deserved it." etc., but that is missing the point entirely. Do you think I care how he feels? He was obviously looking for a fight, but if we buy into it and start calling him names, what we're trying to say loses credibility.

Before anyone presses the submit button on such a post, perhaps he/she should take a moment and ask if it's furthering the cause or doing the opposite. I myself have made full replies on this forum and deleted them without posting. I've also gone back quickly while the rest of you were sleeping (time difference working in my favour) to edit a post that was unnecessarily snappy. And sometimes I've gone ahead and posted something snappish and regretted it later. But when I read the BSL thread, it was just too obvious that both sides were being degraded by the immature fighting.

Tyr, Pami, Sneaky -- I wasn't talking about anyone in particular. It was a reminder to myself as much as anything. Sorry if you felt under attack in any way. You guys are great!

Edited to add: LOL Melanie
Old October 4th, 2004, 08:15 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Exclamation Name Calling - Message from ADMINS

I agree! There is no reason to name call. From now on please either choose to ignore or educate the posters that offend you.

Please be aware that this site and BB is used by thousands of students and children each month. We should try to set a better example.

Debate is healthy and we all have different points of view, but the name calling has got to stop. Please stop. I agree that sometimes people on this board, especially newbies post questions that demonstrate their irresponsibility as pet owners. HOWEVER, bashing these people doen't help at all and it won't help their poor pets either.

Instead, in our opinion, EDUCATING or IGNORING these people is the way to go. A good example are the controversial pregnancy, BSL, and declawing threads etc. If someone asks a pregnancy question, (ie how do I know that my pet is pregnant) the first instinct should NOT be to bash them for not having had their pet spayed or neutered. I agree that they should be told this, but at the END of the answer. If you cannot give constructive advice please just don't respond.

If you feel anyone is trolling (posting deliberately to agitate), please just report them to Dave or to me via email to marko@pets.ca and we will take appropriate action. As long as we know about them (and it's getting harder to police this board) we can and will ban those people that don't follow the rules.

We are very proud of the community that has been built here and we appreciate all the goodwill.

Thanks for your understanding and feel free to respond,

Marko
ADMIN
Old October 4th, 2004, 09:51 PM

You are right Marko and Moon. I refuse to stoop to the level of immaturity of some, and from now on I will make an extremely conscious effort to withold any negative comments I may feel the need to make.

Moon, I don't feel attacked at all! You weren't just addressing a few of us, you were addressing all of us and I thank you for that. Sometimes, we just all need a wake up call so we can be more aware of ourselves.
Old October 4th, 2004, 10:34 PM
Kitty Mum

Moon - I think most of us were not really sure where this all began from. Whether it was a general statement or if it came about from seeing one persons reply to a poster. I cannot speak for anyone else but myself though. I personally just wanted to step up to the plate and admit that I was one of those at fault (through a touch of guilt I suppose). I know that I mentioned not feeling bad about it - which I cannot help...feelings are feelings. I did not feel like you were attacking me though!!! I just wanted to let people know that I was one who may have responded in a less than desirable way. I agree with you 100% that we need to be more constructive with our time when responding to someone looking for a fight. I just do not take the time to cool off and feel the need to defend myself and others here who have cared so much - and are actually apart of this community....a bit too hasty on my part I know I will definitely think twice before giving in to someone's negative vibe - It is just so hard sometimes to bite ones tounge!
Old October 19th, 2005, 11:42 PM
GSDgirl

Red face

I agree. It seems like some people have nothing better to do than to start conflicts. I believe they are called "Internet Trolls" I'm not kidding! Look them up, it's very interesting!

Martine
Old October 19th, 2005, 11:44 PM

This is a really old thread. Since then, we got this: :troll: You should see the :troll: we get when school's out for summer!