Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 21st, 2009, 02:16 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Kittens for Dummies...Help please!!!

So, it appears I am fostering this little guy, herewith referred to as Rascal...

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=65591

So, he has definitely been recently declawed. I was at the "main" vet today and they have no recollection of him. I have driven around the neighborhood where my neighbor's daughter found him and there are no posters up looking for him :sad:

I went and picked up some food for him. The clerk said that he should eat 1/4cup of dry a day and about 1/4-1/3 cup of wet. Does that sound right? I have no idea. He seems hungry ALL THE TIME!

He does not seem to be in any pain despite the fact I can see his stitches :sad: Does anyone know if they are supposed to desolve or do they usually need to be removed

Is it normal for there to be litter ALL OVER the floor by 2 o'clock in the afternoon??? Is the litter box too small perhaps?

His scratch on his nose seems to have healed nicely. If he is still around I will have to take him to the vet next week for a check up.

I can't stand that no one seems to be looking for him. I hate that my neighbor had him for ten days (on and off when he hadn't escaped ) and never lifted a finger to find his guardians or have him vet checked.

I will have to keep you posted...we are falling in love (Pat too ) so he might not be allowed to leave if no one is found.

Really don't know a thing about cats/kittens so any advice/heads up on things to look for would be greatly appreciated!!!

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!

Last edited by diandpat; September 21st, 2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old September 21st, 2009, 02:30 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm certainly not a cat-expert myself, but with our new kitten that we recently adopted, we are having our own interesting food issues. She seems to want to eat everything all the time too, including our human food. Constantly!

We've recently put her on a RAW diet and have noticed that she seems much happier on this. Have you considered RAW?

I'd reccomend putting up fliers of your little guy in local vet clinics and petstores. Maybe the pple that lost him were from out of town?

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old September 21st, 2009, 03:33 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by diandpat View Post
So, it appears I am fostering this little guy, herewith referred to as Rascal...

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=65591

So, he has definitely been recently declawed. I was at the "main" vet today and they have no recollection of him. I have driven around the neighborhood where my neighbor's daughter found him and there are no posters up looking for him :sad:

I went and picked up some food for him. The clerk said that he should eat 1/4cup of dry a day and about 1/4-1/3 cup of wet. Does that sound right? I have no idea. He seems hungry ALL THE TIME!

For a time I would be tempted to let him eat as much WET food as he wants. He will regulate himself. It looks to me like he is still a young kitty so he probably will want a can or two a day. If possible eliminate the dry food all together. He does not need it. It contains no nutritional value. All it does is get cats hooked on it so they don't want to eat any canned food. The older he gets the less he will eat. Normally a full grown cat needs somewhere between 250 to 300 calories a day. Up till they are full grown I usually let mine eat the amount they want. I find that is somewhere in the neighbourhood of 1-1 and a half cans a day.
This is a great site for giving you more info about feeding cats than you will ever need to know (hopefully).
http://www.catinfo.org/

He does not seem to be in any pain despite the fact I can see his stitches :sad: Does anyone know if they are supposed to desolve or do they usually need to be removed

Stitches will dissolve themselves but if you want to make sure maybe pop into your vet with the kitty so he/she can check them.

Is it normal for there to be litter ALL OVER the floor by 2 o'clock in the afternoon??? Is the litter box too small perhaps?

Oh you poor gal!! You have a litter flinger!!! Usually a high sided litter box stops that play. I use either the largest box I can find or a high sided plastic storage box. They work really well.

His scratch on his nose seems to have healed nicely. If he is still around I will have to take him to the vet next week for a check up.

I can't stand that no one seems to be looking for him. I hate that my neighbor had him for ten days (on and off when he hadn't escaped ) and never lifted a finger to find his guardians or have him vet checked.

of a neighbour of yours! She should have been putting posters up for anyone looking for the little angel.

I will have to keep you posted...we are falling in love (Pat too ) so he might not be allowed to leave if no one is found.

Really don't know a thing about cats/kittens so any advice/heads up on things to look for would be greatly appreciated!!!
His plan is working!!! Just love him. That's all he wants. Toys that are interactive are good for bonding with cats. You can find wand toys you can wave around him so he can "attack". Even a piece of string you can drag around and he can go after will make him ecstatic! Kitties also loovvveeee laser lights!!!!!!!!!!!
Old September 21st, 2009, 03:35 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey_ View Post
I'm certainly not a cat-expert myself, but with our new kitten that we recently adopted, we are having our own interesting food issues. She seems to want to eat everything all the time too, including our human food. Constantly!

We've recently put her on a RAW diet and have noticed that she seems much happier on this. Have you considered RAW?

I'd reccomend putting up fliers of your little guy in local vet clinics and petstores. Maybe the pple that lost him were from out of town?
Was Raisin possible born a feral kitty? If so than she may be a food hog because she hasn't realized yet that it is not necessary for her to "hunt" or grab food. She may stop that behaviour as she gets older and realizes you aren't going to get rid of her. Or....... she may not.

Last edited by 14+kitties; September 21st, 2009 at 10:42 PM.
Old September 21st, 2009, 03:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh,Oh I can see a kitty-lover emerging
Like 14+ says,I would feed him only canned food and get a high-sided plastic box,it does not have to be a"litter-box".
I hope the kitty is also neutered and probably has his shots for now,but I would bring him to a vet to make sure all's ok with him.
Shouldn't cost too much.
Also,pics please
Old September 21st, 2009, 06:26 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Have you had him checked for a microchip?

I can't add any more advice than what 14+ has given you.

Ummmmm kitties always have a plan to work their way into your heart, if plan A doesn't work, they always have a plan B

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 21st, 2009, 09:34 PM
Senior Contributor

If his claws aren't healed yet, u should be using the newspaper litter so the clay litter doesn't get stuck in his wounds and infect them.

And our kitties love to throw the litter all around the place too...it's not so bad now that I'm using a high rubbermaid totes. LOL

I think u are terrific taking in this poor boy!

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old September 21st, 2009, 09:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Was Raisin possible born a feral kitty? Is so than she may be a food hog because she hasn't realized yet that it is not necessary for her to "hunt" or grab food. She may stop that behaviour as she gets older and realizes you aren't going to get rid of her. Or....... she may not.
Thanks 14. We don't really know her history, aside from the fact that she was brought into our vet clinic by her 'first family' - who quickly learned she had IBS and did not pick her up again. :sad:
Thankfully the DH was quick to tell our vet that we'd take her, and she's doing quite well in our home. I opened a thread about it in case you'd like to see the full situation.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old September 22nd, 2009, 09:37 AM

OK, are there any kitten/cat people out there that have ever slept later than 5 a.m.??? This appropriately named Rascal thinks it is playtime and he is very very tenacious too

He is fitting in nicely and OMG he is too funny! He drinks the dripping water from the shower or a glass but NEVER from his water bowl...what's up with that???? LOL

I am going to go get newspaper litter today and a higher box (thanks TQ and 14 for that ) I am going to go get him checked for a chip and checked up.

For the record, my SO Pat is terrific for supporting me with these little strays the wiggle into my heart. He is totally smitten too, though we both need more sleep

I am attaching a few pics from yesterday so you can see how well he is fitting in...
Attached Images

you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 10:01 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
OK, are there any kitten/cat people out there that have ever slept later than 5 a.m.??? This appropriately named Rascal thinks it is playtime and he is very very tenacious too

He let you sleep in until 5AM???? Wow he is really trying hard to get you to fall for him

He is fitting in nicely and OMG he is too funny! He drinks the dripping water from the shower or a glass but NEVER from his water bowl...what's up with that???? LOL

Lots of cats prefer that. I used to leave the bathroom tap dripping just for Snowball

I am going to go get newspaper litter today and a higher box (thanks TQ and 14 for that ) I am going to go get him checked for a chip and checked up.

For the record, my SO Pat is terrific for supporting me with these little strays the wiggle into my heart. He is totally smitten too, though we both need more sleep

Always good to have your SO smitten too.

I am attaching a few pics from yesterday so you can see how well he is fitting in...

Wahoo .

Yup, looks like he made himself right at home.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 22nd, 2009, 10:23 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Oh Diandpat! love that Costco Blankie! I have one too!

OMG he is the cutest! As for the 5am stuff! get used to it...actually I have found that with many new cat owners it takes some time for the kitty to get adjusted to your schedule...they are nocturnal you know!

High sided Rubbermaid container works well for the litter flippers!

Good luck with Rascal!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old September 22nd, 2009, 10:24 AM
Senior Contributor

He's gorgeous!! I especially love that collar...looks perfect on him!

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old September 22nd, 2009, 10:55 AM

I read somewhere that some cats have an instinct left from when cats were wild that tells them to drink only moving water, as still water may be stagnant and not good for them. I have one that only drinks from the tap, but will also drink from a dish that has a wataer container attached that makes glugging noises. beware if you try this, both our boys love to play wiht the noise making water dishes and can create mini floods.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old September 22nd, 2009, 11:32 AM

He's adorable and it looks like he has already adopted you.

Caesar (Egyptian Mau/DSH X) - 7 yrs
Sable (Egyptan Mau/DSH X) - 6 yrs
Fluffy (Domestic Long Hair) - 4 yrs
Kali (Calico DSH) - 2 yrs?
Pandora (White Shepherd) - 2 yrs
Loki (Caucasian Ovcharka) - 7 mths
Angelique (Egyptian Mau/DSH X) - November 7, 2002 to May 2008

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all.
It's the best deal man has ever made." -M. Acklam
Old September 22nd, 2009, 11:50 AM
150% PRO S/N

The joys of kitty ownership. Or being owned by a kitty! I'm sure once he gets used to the flow of your home that he will let you sleep in.... till at least 6! Mine do the same thing. If I close the door they are at it batting and putting their little paws under it trying to open it. Much easier to give in and grab a nap later.
I keep two mugs filled with fresh water in my sink. I also have a bowl on the floor. All five house kitties prefer the mugs in the sink to the bowl. Kitties are funny that way.
Rascal sure looks like he has settled in for the count.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 12:06 PM
Rottie owner and lover

Look at that he even matches your furniture. I can suggest using a hooded litter box, works well with my holy terror. My guy is up at all crazy hours of the morning zooming around trying to wake up the dogs, he is over 2, so no help there sorry, LOL
Old September 22nd, 2009, 03:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Aww he looks so good and happy,adorable
I secretly hope you don't find the owner who did the dastardly deed(declawing 4 paws)...
As for sleeping in,I have not slept longer than 7am for many,many years.usually I am up by 6am at the latest.
It's especially hard now,when it's dark at 6am,but it's ok,who needs too much sleep

Last edited by chico2; September 22nd, 2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 04:08 PM

Well, the drive to the vet almost got us both killed...note to self: NEVER have a loose kitten in the car OMG!!!!

Thankfully got to the vet in one piece and then he proceeded to escape from the car, slip his collar and run around the parking lot St Francis, this can not be the answer to my prayers!!! After 5 minutes the vet tech and I caught him and put him in a closed room. Promptly called my SO to tell him to go buy a crate and bring it over. There was no way I was going through any of that again

Vet figures he is between 6-10 mths, male, fixed. Seems in good shape. Tail was definitely broken at some point but has healed now. One of the stiched claws was infected so he got a shot on conevia. Weighs about 8 lbs. I picked up a higher litter box and some paper based litter so hopefully that will diminish the possibility of the other toes getting infected.

Posted posters in the area where he was found. Secretly hoping no one calls because we really are in love now

All in all a good day. He is "home" now sleeping with Pat on the couch.

Oh and Pat bought a Hot Pink crate...he thought "she" was so cute it had to be a girl Of course the crate is not returnable.

(Chico, it is only the front paws declawed but OUCH anyways )

you to stay" ♥ ♥

Old September 22nd, 2009, 04:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh,I am getting a little confused,it happens often lately
I too did once drive with a kitty loose in the car,a total disaster,very dangerous,glad you caught the cute little monster
Old September 22nd, 2009, 04:41 PM
Kitty pimp

lol glad you and kit made it to the vets in one piece welcome to a lot of sunrises
Old September 22nd, 2009, 05:02 PM
Senior Contributor

What a lovely addition to your home. I don't have any kitties so no early morning wakeup calls, surely they would get used to your schedule like doggies do.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 05:22 PM
150% PRO S/N

Ohhh, loose kitty in car!!! Been there!! I soon learned it's not a great idea. Carriers are a must.
Could I suggest if no owner shows up and you are lucky enough to keep this little gentleman that you invest in a cat harness? It is way too easy for cats to slip collars as you found out today. A harness is not foolproof either but it usually takes a little longer. I have not had any of mine escape a harness.
I just can't see someone going to the trouble of neutering and declawing this little one and then letting him outside on purpose.

Hubby figured Rascal was a female huh? Go figure. You need to tell him the parts are the same on dogs and cats.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 05:57 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm so glad u got to the vets safe and sound!

I am a night person, so I'm still awake most mornings when "the kids" start zooming around.

I hope no one claims Rascal so he can stay with you! He sure is a cutie pie!

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old September 22nd, 2009, 08:45 PM
-

Quote:

wooohooo !