Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 9th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Bluebear

Dog's head and when walking is leaning to left side and balance is off

My dog is showing symptoms of leaning his head to the left and when he just went outside he stumbled to the left. Could someone tell me is this is a serious thing. Thanking you all in advance.
Old June 9th, 2008, 08:21 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Yes, this could be very serious. One of our dogs got into some toxic mushrooms last year and exhibited similar symptoms. She required a night of fluids at the vet to flush her system and prevent organ damage.

It might also be something neurological like a stroke.

So I'm afraid your best bet is to see a vet. Even if it's something relatively minor, like an ear infection, you'll need meds prescribed by a vet to clear it up.

Good luck!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 9th, 2008, 08:33 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Hazel, of course, is right. You should go see a vet. It could be very serious.

If this is your twelve yr old dog (per your profile) it could also be vestibular disease which would manifest with a head tilt and stumbling. Another symptom, just to be on the lookout, is vomiting and eyes going up and down or side to side. Just letting you know in case it comes on during the night. :sad:

Our 14 yr old golden had a bout in the fall and it was very very scary. She is fine now but it took quite a while. One way or the other definitely go to the vet as it could be so many other things too.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old June 10th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Bluebear

Thankyou very much. My husband was on the phone with the vet when I posted the question. They are booked up today but told him I could bring him in between 8:30 and 8:45am. He is still very wobbly and just looks at me cause he is very scared. I'm hoping its vertigo. He used to shake his head when he barked like it bothered his ear but yesterday when we were playing he never shook his head it just started to tilt. I checked his ears and smelled them no ear infection and then shortly after I noticed his head tilted. I'm so upset to me he is still young. My baby. Thank you for the replies. I will let you know the outcome.
Old June 10th, 2008, 11:02 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

How did the vet visit go, bluebear?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 4th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Bluebear

Hi: Bear is doing very good now. He had an inner ear infection and is still on the Antibiotics until tuesday next week. The tilt in the head is gone and he is 100% better. Thanks