Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old April 15th, 2007, 03:40 PM

staf terrier registration

I have a chance to get a terrier(pitbull) this week. I live in hamilton ont. Do myself and the owner have to go to city hall to transfere ownership, or is this done else where. What are the fees associated with this?
Any help is greatly appreciated. Can't seem to get a straight answer any where.
Thanks greatly.
Old April 15th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Senior Contributor

I really don't know about how the process works,I only know that Stafforshire Terriers are the one breed still recognized as Pit-Bulls and are banned here in Ontario.:sad:
Some amendments to BSL was made,mixes are no more on the BSL-list.
Old April 15th, 2007, 04:31 PM

Yes, it is licensed north american staf terrier, it falls under the f****d up bsl laws, but I can't get a straight answer anywhere about what this will cost. It is a pain in the butt!
Thanks for the reply though chico!
Old April 15th, 2007, 05:13 PM

If memory serves....fast questions...

Was this dog born before November 26, 2005 or lived in Ontario on August 29, 2005? If not, it's a prohibited dog under the Ontario breed specific legislation.

Is the dog spayed or neutered? If not, has the owner met the requirements for showing the dog (contained in the legislation)?

Is the current owner giving the dog to you without charge?

The Dog Legislation Council of Canada has a handy summary of the Dog Owners' Liability Act provisions. It's not legal opinion, it's an attempt to explain the provisions in simpler language.

http://dlcc.sbmprodos.org/dolafact.htm

A municipality usually requires that residents license their dogs. You're talking about Hamilton, do you live in Hamilton? Have you checked whether Hamilton has its own breed specific legislation? Some communities do.

You ask about cost. Do you mean to transfer ownership of the dog? Did the previous owner have the dog licensed in Hamilton? If so, there's usually a form on the back of a license renewal for transfer of a dog, you should be able to get it all filled out by the owner, making sure it says GIFT, and take it with you to the Animal Control office to get your own license for the dog.

If you're asking about the cost of a dog license, you should call City of Hamilton or check the city's web site for particulars.

If the dog is registered with the Canadian Kennel Club, you'll want to get the registration certificate signed off by the owner and get the dog's ownership information transferred into your name with the CKC.

If you don't have an example of a form to transfer ownership, the form for ownership transfer that comes on the back of the dog's CKC registration certificate might provide a good template. If it's still there, I owned my last purebred over 15 years ago, the form might be different now.

And until the breed-specific legislation is changed by the Ontario Legislative Assembly, I wouldn't make any assumptions that would put my dog at risk. Everyone I know with a "banned" dog is still muzzling, leashing, etc. pending final disposition of the court challenge.

Hope that helps.
Old April 15th, 2007, 05:59 PM

Thanks for the reply saradog
lived in Ontario on August 29, 2005? Yes

the dog spayed or neutered? Yes

Is the current owner giving the dog to you without charge? Yes

Dog Owners' Liability Act provisions. I have read the act

A municipality usually requires that residents license their dogs. The dog is legal. Will I have to pay to have it re-licensed in my name? Or do I just need dog tags???

take it with you to the Animal Control office to get your own license for the dog. I have been told this is done at city hall here???

If the dog is registered with the Canadian Kennel Club, you'll want to get the registration certificate signed off by the owner and get the dog's ownership information transferred into your name with the CKC. Thanks, I will definatly find this out Saradog.

Mostly what I need is specifics to my municipality. Friday, I was just getting passed around with nobody giving me any real help. I can't keep taking time off work just to run around. I was hoping to talk to some body in this area who has gone through this here already.
Thanks for your indepth reply sara, it does help out, and greatly appreciated!
Old April 15th, 2007, 06:03 PM

BTW, does the dog have to be muzzled when being transported in a vehicle?
Old April 15th, 2007, 11:18 PM

[QUOTE=bushido;410263]
>>>Will I have to pay to have it re-licensed in my name? Or do I just need dog tags???
Good question, the city is the only one who can tell you that. I'd take the old dog tags with you, see if they'll just transfer the registration into your name, but you might have to buy a new license. I hope you'll post the answer when you get the dog and the license, for general information.

>>>take it with you to the Animal Control office to get your own license for the dog. I have been told this is done at city hall here???
That's strange, I registered a "banned" dog online in another city, but each is different. Again, I hope you'll post the answer when you get the license. Can you get a dog license online in Hamilton? That might save you some running around.
Correcting myself, you can order a dog license online from Hamilton. Long URL alert. I didn't go into the online application link.
http://www.myhamilton.ca/Hamilton.Po...INT=Guest#Dogs

>>>Mostly what I need is specifics to my municipality. Friday, I was just getting passed around with nobody giving me any real help. I can't keep taking time off work just to run around. I was hoping to talk to some body in this area who has gone through this here already.
Hope it all works out well for you, and I'd love to hear about your experience on this thread once you're through the process.
Old April 15th, 2007, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
BTW, does the dog have to be muzzled when being transported in a vehicle?
A lot of people have debated this and I haven't heard a clear answer. The Ministry of the Attorney General wouldn't clarify it, either.
Old April 16th, 2007, 07:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Logic tells me,a car is still private property,like your home and I would think a muzzle is not needed.Good Luck with your staffie!
Old April 17th, 2007, 06:45 PM

Thanks for all the help guys/gals.
We finally made this happen today! And to boot, it was really painless.
We had to get a note from the owners stating that they were giving us the dog and releasing it into our custody. Our name and address had to be stated in the letter. the dogs tag number and name was to be in the letter. We needed the original documentation of shots and speying(sp?), and we needed the tags. Took it into animal control at Dartnall st., payed $26 for a new set of tags, and that was it. Did not need to take the dog in.
Through all this though, I could not get the same answer twice from the A.C. office. 75% of the time, I could not even get an answer on the telephone, only a recorded message. Hell of a way to run a business.
Hope this helps someone else down the road, and thanks for the help.
Old April 18th, 2007, 07:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Bushido,we'd love to see a pic of your Staffie
I am glad everything worked out ok
Old April 18th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Senior Contributor

I have transported staffies in my van, if you , the owner, are alone in the vehicle, the dog may remain unmuzzled,but all windows must be up and if you are pulled over by a police or whatever, the muzzle must be in place before the window/door is opened, if you have a passenger, even if that passenger is your immediate family, the dog has to be muzzled, these instructions were given to me by the spca and by the police force.
Old April 18th, 2007, 08:15 PM

Congratulations, Bushido, I'm glad it went well!
Old April 18th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Papa D

go to the spca on dartnall road.....south of rymal....not city hall they know nothing there,they just collect fees...imo...as far as a city license,take the old tags and any papers you have,and just transfer..$28.00 for a nuetered/spayed dog.....i dont keep my dog muzzled in the car..........but then again mine is a mutt
Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.
Old April 18th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Papa D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
I have transported staffies in my van, if you , the owner, are alone in the vehicle, the dog may remain unmuzzled,but all windows must be up and if you are pulled over by a police or whatever, the muzzle must be in place before the window/door is opened, if you have a passenger, even if that passenger is your immediate family, the dog has to be muzzled, these instructions were given to me by the spca and by the police force.
that makes no sense.......at home they can be unmuzzled with family.....they can be unmuzzled at a friends house,if they allow.they don't need to be leashed on private property.
Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.
Old April 19th, 2007, 01:20 PM

I usually take both or one of my dogs (Stafforshire Bull Terriers) with me when I running errands or whatever around town and I never muzzel them...I've been pulled over once with Odie in the car...no trouble at all...mind you I seem to be in a bubble...I really haven't been affected by the ban much at all...

I carry muzzels with me when I walk the dogs but I don't putthem on...and no one's ever bothered me...I'm not recomending this...I'm just saying it's the way it's been for me so far...
Staffies-the king of breeds-a work horse-a cuddly licking machine-found in the top ten breeds for kids by the southhampton U-so comitted to their people they are willing to do anything to please them...the only breed for me
Old April 19th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Senior Contributor

I believe the police have more important things to do than checking dogs,but you should still be careful,I think the fine is pretty steep.
Old April 19th, 2007, 03:53 PM

It's not only the fine and/or jail time, it's the seizure and euthanization of your dog for a breach of the law.
Old April 19th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Senior Contributor

WOW,I did not know that:sad:
Old April 20th, 2007, 06:36 AM

Like I said im in a bit of a bubble...A I know most if not all the local law enforcement and B...I carry the muzzel with me...I'll put it on if I have to...

They both have their CGC and all...their good dogs...
Staffies-the king of breeds-a work horse-a cuddly licking machine-found in the top ten breeds for kids by the southhampton U-so comitted to their people they are willing to do anything to please them...the only breed for me
Old April 20th, 2007, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
WOW,I did not know that
There's a lot of nasty stuff in the "pit bull" ban. They can seize your dog if they think that in the past, it has been "menacing". Menacing is not defined.
So, what is it? Whatever someone wants it to be. This is a very subjective law.
Old April 20th, 2007, 11:09 PM

Thanks all, I guess I will make sure I keep a spare muzzle in the glove box just in case I need one. I hate muzzling a dog for no reason, I feel like I'm punishing the dog for something she hasn't done.
I will try to put up some pics this week end. My son has gone picture happy the last 2 days! He just loves the girl.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 08:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
I believe the police have more important things to do than checking dogs
Exactly chico.

The Police have nothing to do with this ban.

My suggestion to you bushido,if you have her in the car,once she steps out,put the muzzle on her(don't carry it).Keep it on her at all times while you are out in public.Don't take a chance on getting caught without one.Having them muzzled is part of the ban.And I know,it sucks.

My cousin has a 6 year old Am Staff who is such a suck,and it kills her to have to muzzle him.