Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 9th, 2010, 01:29 PM

A 3rd dog...am I crazy?

Hey folks!

Just want some advice.

I am considering getting/adopting a 3rd dog.

We have two currently. Oscar (age 5) and Lady (age 8). We have had Oscar since his puppyhood, and we adopted Lady last March. Things are going well. Lucky for us, Lady was well trained. She is a joy, and has added so much to our lives. Oscar is a little pisser. He's such a funny little guy. He has some issues with barking, but nothing too crazy.

I'm so happy with my little furries, that I'm considering a 3rd.

My husband and I legally separated just after Christmas. It was over awhile ago, really, but we both finally faced reality. We are totally wrong for each other.

He hated animals. I mean, he loathed having dogs. He was nice to them, but they were more of a PITA to him than anything.

Now that he is gone (and freed up some space :P ), my daughter (age 15) and I are talking about adding another heartbeat to our home. I'm just worried that people will think me insane. No one I know loves dogs as much as my daughter, son and I! LOL

Currently, I work from home caring for a little boy. I'm taking the summer off with my kids (great spousal support and child support) and then looking to work outside the home in September. I own my house. If there was a time to add a third, it would be now when I can devote time to them.

I guess I just want to know if there are any issues I should be thinking about.
Old February 9th, 2010, 01:45 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I have eight at home, so three actually sounds quite sane to me.

Are you thinking of getting a puppy or an older dog? If you will be caring for young children next year, as well, just make sure that whatever dog you get is good with kids of that age. Insurance might be an issue--some insurance companies may have additional charges if you own dogs, especially if you work with young children in your home.

And, of course, it would make things much easier if your current dogs liked your new addition.

Actually, having two dogs of 5 and 8 might make things much easier for you, especially if you plan on getting a puppy. They'll be instrumental in teaching the newbie the rules.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 9th, 2010, 01:49 PM
-

I had three up until recently. We had adjustment issues initially but that was due to an ongoing behaviour issue I have with one of my grrrrls.

I loved having the three of them personally. My dawgz were/are all big'uns so our issues may be different. The only things that come to mind on the cons side are: we took up the entire sidewalk and then some. Even tho my bed is king-sized and I'm NOT a big person, I usually had to pretzel myself to get into bed. The Vet bills and living expenses grew by a third which when everyone is healthy is significant enough but when their ill ~ it can be a significant dint to the pocketbook having a third. The food thievery had to be more closely monitored Toyz, bones etc had to be purchased in threes and carefully apportioned to prevent thiivery and hoarding.

Really, if you won't break the bank with a third these aren't really even cons.

Go for it ~ adopt an older dog ~ they're THE BEST.
Old February 9th, 2010, 02:03 PM

Okayyy...I guess I forgot my audience. HAHA I'm not crazy for thinking three! LOL

I am torn between adopting an older dog (our SPCA's rarely have small breeds) and getting a puppy.

We don't have room for another big one...though an adopted older dog is definitely the preferred route. I'm trying to think if a puppy would be a better option, given that it would learn from the older ones, and probably be less of an adjustment for my current two. Puppies do come born with a personality, but, they are not yet set in their ways.

But the pee...oh the pee!

Strange comparison, but getting Lady full grown at age 7, was like having your furniture ordered, delivered, and already assembled. A puppy is having to assemble yourself, and maybe you don't have all the right tools. LOL
Old February 9th, 2010, 02:15 PM
-

I'm too dairn old to go thru the puppy years. The hours and hours and hours of walking and playing. The yip-yappery. The raw hands from teething. The long days and nights of trainingtrainingtraining. And the pee is right! Not to mention the solid prezzies in your slipper! The chewed furniture. The mangled shoes. Nope not me .

I loved adopting Declan ~ a senior and we actually had to do a a lot of training. Not all dawgs will come equipped with perfect manners

Give me an older dog any day! I also think Declan knew his days were numbered at the shelter (he had had 2 six month stints and was scheduled to be pts a week before he came to me) and was incredibly grateful to have a home.

You could also think about fostering.
Old February 9th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Senior Contributor

LittleLoves - would you consider fostering a dog before adopting? This way you can ensure that the dynamics work with all three before committing to another dog. Also, if it does not work out with the foster dog there is no harm in giving him/her back to the rescue once adopted. Some rescues even give you a 'grace' period where you foster with the intent to adopt. Again, if it does not work - no harm done.
Old February 9th, 2010, 02:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Have you considered one in the 6 month - 18 month age range? Still young enough to play and bring out the inner puppy in your older dogs, but old enough so that the potty-training might be nearly complete?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 9th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Senior Contributor

LittleLoves, I can't believe you actually asked that question here.

Maybe an adult dog might fit in better. It's always the older/adult dogs and cats left in the rescues.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old February 9th, 2010, 05:45 PM

Benmax, I hadn't thought of that! I don't know what is involved with fostering to be very honest with you. I'm up for the idea of a try-out period for sure.
Old February 9th, 2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Have you considered one in the 6 month - 18 month age range? Still young enough to play and bring out the inner puppy in your older dogs, but old enough so that the potty-training might be nearly complete?
Not at all against an older, or even adult dog, but around this house, size definitely matters! I'm not sure I could picture another retriever size body running around! I live near a major army base, and it seems the majority of dogs at our SPCA's are large. Huge even. LOL

Still, very interested in the fostering idea. I will have to go research!
Old February 9th, 2010, 05:47 PM

I would suggest you shy away from a pup, since you have two older dogs. By the time your pup is of age, your other dogs (while seniors now or approaching seniorhood) may not want to have a cavorting puppy around.

Maybe a young dog, around 4ish, would work.
Old February 9th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't think you are crazy I think you have a heart full of love! Maybe u could do a trial adoption to see if they all get along first?

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old February 9th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Live well, laugh often

Well I have two of my own dogs (ages 4 and almost 14) and one very frequent visitor (littermate to my youngest). I personally find that my comfortable max is two dogs . They are two large dogs which I think makes a difference. Our dogs go a lot of places with us (camping, hiking, skiing, travelling, visiting, car rides etc) so the space issue alone is a factor for us. I think in your situation one large dog and two small dogs would not be as bad.

I also find that three dogs often results in an "odd man out" situation for one dog especially with the younger dogs who play a lot. If there is a large range in ages of your dogs then that might not be as noticeable.

Whatever you decide .... good luck . I think fostering would be an excellent interim step for you to determine if another dog would be a good fit .
Old February 9th, 2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriM View Post
Well I have two of my own dogs (ages 4 and almost 14) and one very frequent visitor (littermate to my youngest). I personally find that my comfortable max is two dogs . They are two large dogs which I think makes a difference. Our dogs go a lot of places with us (camping, hiking, skiing, travelling, visiting, car rides etc) so the space issue alone is a factor for us. I think in your situation one large dog and two small dogs would not be as bad.

I also find that three dogs often results in an "odd man out" situation for one dog especially with the younger dogs who play a lot. If there is a large range in ages of your dogs then that might not be as noticeable.

Whatever you decide .... good luck . I think fostering would be an excellent interim step for you to determine if another dog would be a good fit .

There certainly is a lot to consider!

Lady and Oscar don't spend much time together at all at this point. They get along just fine, with Lady bossing Oscar around as if he were her son/husband...but for the most part they spend their days sleeping side by side or on different levels of the house. Lady is the more playful of the two for sure, and I think she would love to have a play buddy, as Oscar is not into it. At.All. LOL
Old February 9th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Senior Contributor

We have four, and it seems a bit easier than the transition to two was. I think three and four are just kind of like- the more the merrier.
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire
Old February 9th, 2010, 09:29 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I think that if the dogs get along well, the ages don't matter too much. I have pics of our 11-yr-old springer, Priscilla, chasing 11-wk-old puppy, Evan, around the backyard in a fine old game of chase. So the age should depend more on what you're up to.

You may find that a new dog will liven up your current fur babies. Nothing like a new playmate to bring out the Inner Puppy!

Old February 9th, 2010, 09:43 PM
-

Really ? You came HERE to ask about getting a third dog ?

of course we'll all say YES YES YES

First of all though .... are you allowed 3 dogs in the town you live in ? If you don't have any neighbors , there shouldn't be a problem but .... if you do , and they complain , and you only have a 2 dogs limit ... they'll make you get rid of the third dog.

I personally would go with any dogs that would be a good match with your dogs. Getting a rescue or shelter dog , you would know what you're "getting".
Old February 10th, 2010, 02:07 AM

Hi littleloves,

I recently added a 3rd addition to my home last summer and she has brought me great joy and lots of fun! To me, I didn't find it a big transition from 2 dogs to 3 (besides I officially became a "crazy dog lady" - ha!), except for the common sense stuff (i.e. made walks a little more hectic, more food to buy etc). And of course it is extra vet bills to pay.

Ceaser always says when adding a dog to your pack to get one that has similar or less energy than you other dogs, and I really think he's got a valid point here... you don't want a dog that is going to be super hyper if your two dogs are calm and mellow and vice versea. Spend time with the pup/dog before you make your decision and make sure s/he will fit well into your clan. In your situation, I would recommend probably a dog a bit older just as your two are older, and as someone else pointed out they may not appreciate a young, energetic, bouncy pup/teenager in their older years!

Another thing to check on is your city's bylaws regarding how many dogs you can have. I reside outside of Lethbridge (so fortunately this does not apply to me) but if I did live in Lethbridge I would have to jump through alot of loopholes to keep my 3 (they require anyone with more than 2 dogs to apply for a special license (which costs more $$), they do a homecheck, inform your neighbours etc. so do make sure you check into this. Every city is different, and some are not nearly this strict, but its always good to check!!

Other than that, I say happy hunting! You mentioned you may want a smaller dog, and rescues do have smaller dogs you just need to check often. I think adopting a dog is such a wonderful, selfless, beautiful thing and would defaintly encourage you to look into it!!

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old February 12th, 2010, 10:40 AM

Frenchy pretty well answered the question that I asked myself when I was reading your post. Where we live, we have a 2-dog limit and it is my understanding that it is enforced.

I might add that that is the reason I stay away from shelters or any place where they have dogs for sale or for adoption cause I definitely would be tempted to violate the 2-dog rule.
Old February 15th, 2010, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Really ? You came HERE to ask about getting a third dog ?

of course we'll all say YES YES YES

First of all though .... are you allowed 3 dogs in the town you live in ? If you don't have any neighbors , there shouldn't be a problem but .... if you do , and they complain , and you only have a 2 dogs limit ... they'll make you get rid of the third dog.

I personally would go with any dogs that would be a good match with your dogs. Getting a rescue or shelter dog , you would know what you're "getting".
Just checked, and yes, it is a 2 dog rule!

Oh well!
Old February 16th, 2010, 03:42 AM
ZooKeeper aka Mom

your post made me go look...the bylaw here is 3
Old February 16th, 2010, 01:48 PM
One dog at a time...

Would fosters apply in the 2-dog rule? How about a "permanent foster"? Fostering a dog in need is a very rewarding experience.
Until November I had four dogs (when Lodi died) and now have three. While right now I am quite happy with my three girls, I will, when I am ready, get another (or two!). My city doesn't allow more than four breeding dogs per household but since mine are all spayed I guess I can have as many as I want!

RIP My Precious Kitty - Misty Margaret (long-hair calico) - 08/24/94-03/12/10
RIP Sweet Baby Girl - Lodi Sue (dachshund mix) -01/20/98-11/04/09
RIP My Itty Bitty - Trinket Joy (chihuahua mix) Puppy Mill Survivor rescued 10/00 died 01/22/02

Rescues will touch your heart & soul like no other!
Old February 16th, 2010, 01:54 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

when we had bishop, on his paperwork we just put him down on my step daughters address.
Old February 16th, 2010, 02:28 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Lodi Girl View Post
Would fosters apply in the 2-dog rule? How about a "permanent foster"? Fostering a dog in need is a very rewarding experience.
Until November I had four dogs (when Lodi died) and now have three. While right now I am quite happy with my three girls, I will, when I am ready, get another (or two!). My city doesn't allow more than four breeding dogs per household but since mine are all spayed I guess I can have as many as I want!
Depending on the city ... most of them don't care about fostering it's 2 dogs that's it that's all

and I don't think because your dogs are spayed and neutered , you can have more unfortunately ... by allowing you to have up to 4 breeding dogs , they see you as a breeder , and for them , it allows you to have more dogs. If they're all spayed and neutered , you have no reasons to have up to 4. I know , sucks big time !!!

I inquired once , about registering as a breeder , so I wouldn't get bother but , they ask for proof of breeding , like selling contracts of the pups
Old February 16th, 2010, 02:37 PM
-

I swear by-laws EVERYWHERE are written so that they cannot be properly interpreted and enforced in such a way that makes them applicable to the spirit of the by-law (which is presumably meant to protect people and animals to a lesser extent).

In Toronto you can a have no more than 3 dogs in any one household. Sounds good right? Uh-huh. A household can be a room in a boarding house or it can be a home on a 1 acre property. And a dog can be any breed/ size. The 3 dog rule excludes any puppies born of one of the three dogs for .. 8 weeks...I think. So, there's the by-law officer looking at 3 Newfoundlanders and nine puppies living in 7x10 room with two adults.
Old February 16th, 2010, 02:53 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummummum View Post
there's the by-law officer looking at 3 Newfoundlanders and nine puppies living in 7x10 room with two adults.
please don't tell grace where any house like this is, she'll make me adopt them all.