Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits > Breed bans - BSL - Pit Bull bans

Old August 22nd, 2005, 01:50 AM

Alert:City eyes tighter leash on pit bulls LONDON ON!!!

The provincial Law is not enough????
My own City! TIME TO MOVE!!!The University of Western Ontario can kiss my tuition money GOODBYE!!!!
I do not know if this is a public meeting, but either way I am attending city hall. I hope anyone in London/surrounding areas will do the same!

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/London...82857-sun.html

City eyes tighter leash on pit bulls

The proposed bylaw could make it prohibitive for people to keep their dogs, one critic says.
JOE BELANGER, Free Press City Hall Reporter

London pit bull owners would pay a premium and face tough restrictions under a proposed city bylaw.

But the president of the London Dog Owners Association says the bylaw will only force pit bull owners to get rid of their pets.

"I think it's all garbage," Beth Saylor said.

"All they're doing is making it tougher for people to keep their (pit bulls) and to get rid of them, because the average person won't be able to afford all this."

Although pit bulls are banned in Ontario as of Aug. 29, people who have them will be allowed to keep their pets, provided they are sterilized, leashed and muzzled.

However, in London the proposed Pit Bull Dog Licensing bylaw headed to city council's environment and transportation committee tonight would also require pit bull owners to pay more for a licence, microchip their dogs and face a $500 fine for most violations.

Pit bull owners who don't licence their dogs by year-end risk having them destroyed.

"People can always choose a different breed for a pet," Coun. Fred Tranquilli, chairperson of the committee, said yesterday.

"I would suggest the cost of licensing this breed is more reflective of the resources consumed by the breed and their owners."

Under the proposed bylaw, pit bull owners would have to:

- Pay a licence fee of $130 annually, compared to the current $25.

- Pay $25 for a warning sign at the entrance to their property.

- Pay a first-time administration fee of $25.

- Provide proof their pit bull is microchipped and sterilized.

- Purchase $1 million in liability insurance.

Owners of show dogs must apply for an exemption.

"Bite victims need to be able to access compensation, so the insurance requirement is important," Tranquilli said.

The bylaw could run into opposition.

"Licensing doesn't solve anything. It's just a cash grab," Saylor said.

Committee member Controller Gord Hume defended the new bylaw, but empa-thized with dog owners.

"The provincial legislation very clearly says pit bulls are not welcome in Ontario."

Microchipping is necessary so, if something happens, the dog owner can be identified, he said. The extra licensing revenue is needed because the system is going to cost more to administer, Hume added.

Attorney General Michael Bryant's controversial bill was passed in the legislature in March. The legislation amends the Dog Owners' Liability Act and provides protection from all dangerous dogs through increased fines of up to $10,000 and possible jail terms for their owners.

Pit bulls born after Nov. 26 will have to find a home outside the province or be put down.

The legislation was opposed by numerous animal groups that argued breed-specific bans are unfair and useless. They called for legislation that would target irresponsible owners and dangerous dogs, no matter what the breed.

The ban applies to the pit bull terrier, Staffordshire bull terrier, American Staffordshire terrier, American pit bull terrier or dogs that are similar in appearance and physical characteristics.

Several municipalities in North America, as well as some countries, have banned pit bulls.

Copyright © The London Free Press

Last edited by Georgiapeaches; August 22nd, 2005 at 01:53 AM.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 07:17 AM
Senior member - formerly Lezzerpezzer

City of London....sigh.....

Well good morning GeorgiaPeaches! Beth, as mentioned in the article, is the pres. of the group I belong to, London Dog Owners' Association. This article was my morning eye opener!

I attended the first meeting about all of this quite awhile ago, and was waiting for Beth to bring me up to speed.....the article just did that. It doesn't state the meeting is open to the public, but I'll find out for ya. I work tonight, so cannot attend. Usually the meetings start at 4 p.m. and the press will be all over this one, so even if the public is not allowed in, the press will be interested in interviewing the public that are outside of the meeting room. I'll email back when I hear from Beth.....
Old August 22nd, 2005, 08:04 AM

tonights meeting

Here's the reply from Beth:

Hi there,

The meeting starts at 4:00pm but most of our our stuff
does not happen until 7:00pm according to the agenda,
but I don't trust that. I plan on getting their at
4:00pm or just afew minutes after.

Yes, this is open to the public.

GeorgiaP, if you go,just ask at the info desk which room the ETC meeting is held in. They will direct you. You go girl! Beth has dark red hair, cut in a shag style. By all means, introduce yourself! She will be sitting at the committee table, I would think, as she is on a task force. She may, however, be in the audience. Good Luck!
Old August 22nd, 2005, 08:48 AM

Thank you for the info! I could not sleep a lot last night after I read the article, reason why I posted so late

The last meeting on this last fall that was open to public participation started at 4 pm, but the gallery was full by 3:45. So, just to be sure I will go a bit early.

I'm so sad about this. Starting to think of places to move already

Last edited by Georgiapeaches; August 22nd, 2005 at 09:26 AM.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 10:36 AM

pit bull issue

tune into AM 980....they have been discussing this issue live on air and you can call in. They have introduced another topic, (bussing kids to school, but some calls still coming in re: pb's

I just printed article and took it over to my neighbour with a pit bull cross. She is saying that she will not pay for liscencing, will not register her dogs, and will not let a soul onto her property and let them touch her pets. Oh boy....it's gonna get really ugly for lots of folks out there, especially here in London. According to some rumblings, there is going to be more staff added to enforce such bylaws. Apparently, City of London employees will be recieving exclusive training on this new PB nonsense. This new pb stuff for London seems like just another way to make $$ for the coffers.

I find it ironic that they are punishing innocent dog owners for not only owning pit bulls and like types of dogs, but have the gaul to try and extract the money needed to enforce these very laws against these dog owners, from these same dog owners! I personally wouldn't give them one red cent! Try and make me......
Old August 22nd, 2005, 11:49 AM

Just when you think things can't get any worse, another bone headed, ignorante politician, figures out a way to make things worse for dog owners. They must have learned from Kichener-Waterloo that by-laws are allmost imposible for the average person to fight, and since there is no court involed, they do not have to prove a thing, and they can legally terrorize any one they wish, and extort money from them at the same time. It's really sad to hear, because London was a nice place to live and visit untill now.
Stanley- Tabby cat and King of the hut
dogster at.[url]http://www.dogster.com/?176592[/url]
Old August 22nd, 2005, 11:59 AM

This is very sad :sad:

Lezzer, what was said on 980? I missed it. Were a majority for or against this proposed bylaw?

If you look at the details of the proposed bylaw it is awful. Noone who lives outside of London will be able to come into London with their grandfathered pitbulls, unless for a dog event recognized by the DOLA. They are proposing not allowing pitbulls to live in multiple dwellings. Plus ofcourse, the insurance and higher licensing/administration fees.

I know a few people personally that will be attending today.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 12:25 PM

life in London

You hit the nail on the head Bluntman.....I actually hate this city and so does my hubby. We moved here only for the sake of work and actually met here, drowning our sorrows over how much we miss small town life. The goal is to retire out in the boondocks far from London and open a kennel!! Until then, I am doing what I can to educate and help dog owners here in London. Didn't have any idea when I signed on to the group that there would be the likes of M. Bryant in the wings!! Oh well, gives me something to do!!

GeorgiaP, I missed most of the AM 980 broadcast, so I didn't hear anything for or against the pb issue. I just guessed that that station may be airing this topic and they were! I came in at the very end and they had moved on to the next topic. Sorry I didn't catch it in time

I'm sure the galley will be absolutely packed at City Hall tonight. I hate to say I think it's a done deal....just my gut feeling. Last time, they at least said they would wait until MBryant and his cronies decided what they were gonna do and they did listen to many many concerned dog owners. Only one fella was all for the extra measures.....about 80 were against so perhaps tonight's crowd will have the same gift of persuasion needed to shelve this one. Good luck and speak up!! This is the one chance you get!!
Old August 22nd, 2005, 12:29 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Quote:
Coun. Fred Tranquilli, chairperson of the committee
This donkey used to be a news reporter for London news station. Hmmm.........news reporter to politician?? I guess the jobs are about the same considering both jobs don't listen to each side of the story. He is as uptight as Michael Bryant is.
They don't care if people give up their Pit Bulls and these dogs are then pts. This is what they want - to get rid of Pit bulls for good! It's like being in grade school, because of one kid that acts out in class, the whole class needs to be punished.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 12:38 PM

Fred....

The one good thing Freddy boy did was to let many of us in to the last city hall meeting, as we were shut out 'cause it filled early with an angry mob. Well, we were the other half of the angry mob! I guess it was likely a case of making himself look good to voters, but it is quite a funny thing that a reporter becomes a politician. Still a donkey, as you have said
Old August 22nd, 2005, 12:45 PM

Goodluck to all that live in London.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 12:57 PM

we'll keep ya posted

I'm sure that between GeorgiaPeach and myself, we can most certainly keep you up to speed on what happens tonight at the meeting. Keep checking in here as the evening progresses to see if either one of us can report anything. Apparently, this is on the agenda for 7 p.m., but likely will hit the table sooner, according to my sources. oh boy.....are you in to reporting back here, GeorgiaP?
Old August 22nd, 2005, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lezzerpezzer
The one good thing Freddy boy did was to let many of us in to the last city hall meeting, as we were shut out 'cause it filled early with an angry mob. Well, we were the other half of the angry mob! I guess it was likely a case of making himself look good to voters, but it is quite a funny thing that a reporter becomes a politician. Still a donkey, as you have said
Hey, I was at that meeting, and was also shut out. We were quite upset but finally they allowed us in, after some peruasion and chaos . Funny how they could use Centennial Hall for the Taxi licensing issue and RMC for a meeting on the City dump issue, but not for the bsl issue!
I did not speak at the meeting, I really wanted to but I am pretty shy. If they make an exception tonight or any other time in the future, I WILL be heard!
With everything that has happened around here in the last 6 years, none of the council members or mayor in this city impress me, dirty pranks, unable to keep city managers, etc.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 01:05 PM

Ofcourse I will post after I return from the meeting at city hall. I will sum up what happened and keep everyone up to date!
Old August 22nd, 2005, 01:14 PM

you were there!

Ironically, I was out in the hall with you, unable to get in until we raised a stink! I was wearing my "PUNISH THE DEED, NOT THE BREED" sweatshirt. Does that ring a bell?? I actually presented my viewpoint to the committee, (got brave, I guess ) . In all likelihood, you and I have met already!

Thanks for keeping us up to date after the meeting tonight. I have to work until 9 p.m. or I'd be there with bells on!!
Old August 22nd, 2005, 01:47 PM

Just got a call

I work at the local library and field reference calls. A co-worker just took a call from a lady, Well, ironically enough, the lady just called wanting the phone # to city hall, as they just sent her a letter re: her pit bull. I don't know the nature of the letter, but from what my co-worker says, the lady is pizzed! 'cause her dog is 14 yrs old and hardly moves

The witchhunt has begun in London. I didn't know anything about these letters going out to pbull owners today. I would like to see a copy of this letter. I would imagine it was sent out to law abiding folks who actually liscenced their pittys and now they are all going into shock!

If I come across such a letter, you will see it. Did you get one GeorgiaPeach?
Old August 22nd, 2005, 02:00 PM

We probably did unofficialy meet that day at city hall. There were so many people I can't recall someone wearing that shirt, but I'm sure if we do meet it may click in my head.

I did recieve a letter today in the mail. My scanner/printer is not working right now, otherwise I would post it up. It is basically notification of the DOLA. On the back of the first page on the bottom half it says, "Update-Proposed Changes to City of London By-Laws to Implement The DOLA With Respect to Pitbulls" Bunch of crap.

I would assume it is the responsible owners who license that are receiving these letters.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 02:23 PM

oh dear.....

Oh dear. I found where the meeting is being held. I'm going to try to slip out at 4 and sniff around City hall. Here's where it is:

4:00 p.m. Environment and Transportation Committee – Board of Control Room

Hang in there.....This won't go on without a helluva fight! Tons of us out here are totally against this BSL and support eachother in this, pit bull owners or not! London is gonna rock tonight! Maybe, just maybe, we can stop this extra London pitbull crap from happening here and now.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 04:57 PM

report from city hall, lengthy........but shocking!

I just came back from City hall meeting. Pit bull stuff won't even be looked at til around 7 p.m. or later. I do have a copy of the agenda!! And , I found GeorgiaPeach and introduced myself to her and pointed out the president of the London Dog Owners' Ass'n., so we are off to a good start. The lobby was filling rapidly and GeorgiaP and friend are lucky to have a seat. There were none left at 5 when I deaked out. Only about 15 spectators allowed in, so we are lucky GP made it (a pitty owner), as well as the LDOA president.

Here's the pertinent stuff from the 177 page agenda!!

Unfortunately, you can't access the Environment & Transportation Committee agenda at www.london.ca at this time, as the agenda is not coming up.....so here's what I can tell you. Hang on to your hats!!

It's agenda item # 20, page 98. Try to view later.....

*States that London has about 756 licensed pbs. No estimates on unlicensed.

*States that major advantage of passing a pit bull dog bylaw is to provide dor a licensing system (money grab ) for pit bulls that the DOLA does not provide...

*PB licences would only be issued from the date of the passing of the bylaw until Dec. 31, 05; leaves 3 months for owner to get a grandfathered PB licence for the 2006 yr. After that, no more issuing except annual renewal of 2006 licence and any owners of pbs that do not have a pb licence MUST REMOVE THE PB FROM THE CITY OR HAVE IT DESTROYED!!

*No such tag, not allowed in town! At around the 16 year from now mark, no more pbs will exist in London or be allowed in the city. (can you say extermination?);

*No pbs in off leash area(s);

*must post pb property warning signs;

*$1,000,000 in insurance to be purchased;

*No pbs in multiple unit dwellings: too much insurance for landlord; this makes it possible that many pb owners may be required to move or have their dogs destroyed so city decided not to include such a strict provisin in the bylaw as it's "more desirable" to have the money from licences! and to account for the pbs! Mentions that it can be challenged in charter of rights too! Bless the city for this part: "the owner has the right to move with the dog (either out of London or to a non-multiple dwelling in London), to have the pb destroyed or to transfer ownership of the pb to someone who does not live in a multiple dwelling. Furthermore, the owner would have until Dec. 31/05 in order to move, should he or she chose to keep and licence the dog."

*goes on about muzzling;

*enforcement: London bylaw used along with DOLA. For instance, searching for and seizing pbs is left to DOLA. There are 2 ways to lay charges: 1) issuing a Part 1 ticket; 2) laying a Part 3 information.

Part 1: used at time of offence; defendant can plead guilty and pay fine w/no court. States disadvantage is that the max fine is only $500.

Part3: defendant must go to court and can't pay out of court; max fine is $5000.00; can seek probation order. Disadvantage: cumbersom administratively . Anticipate serious or repeat offences and orders to destroy would then be sought.

List of ticketable offenses:
1) own non grandfathered pb: $500;
2) transfer a grandfthrd pb not by gift or bequest: $500;
3) allow pb run at lg: $500;
4) " " " " in off leash area: $500;
5) fail to renew pb lic: $200;
6) fail to attach tag to pb: $200;
7) fail to ensure pb has muzzle: $500;
8) fail to secure pb w/leash: $500;
9) fail to purchase warning sign: $200;
10) fail to post warning sigh: $300;
11) fail to apply to Licence Agent for chng in ownership of pb: $500;
12) fail to ensure pb has microchip: $300;
13) fail to ensure sterilization of pb: 500;
14) fail to provide Lic agent w/new address, phne #: $200;
15) " " " " w/name address, phone# of person to whom giving possession of pb: $200;
16) " " notify " " immediately if pb running at large: $500;
17) " " " notify " " " " " bitten/attacked: $500;
18) fail to remove/destroy pb: $500

The rest of the document, (I am tired of typing!!) is ammendments to DOLA, definitions of Who's who and what powers they have, what dwellings are running at large, tags, control of pbs, apps for licence guidelines, when destroying dog is called for, fees, sterilization, muzzling etc excemptions, general provisions blah blah blah....so overwhelming and surreal!

Will wait to hear more from GPeach and my pres.......
Old August 22nd, 2005, 05:12 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree, victims of dog bites deserve compensation. How many pitbull bites have thier been in London? How about bites by other dogs? So, you only deserve compensation if it is from a pitbull. I've said it before, I'll say it again, the dog that ripped half of my sister's face off (literally, she lost part of her lip) wasn't a pitbull, wasn't even part pitbull. I guess she wouldn't deserve compensation then, eh?
Old August 22nd, 2005, 05:19 PM

compensation

Excellent point, Schwinn. What a load of baloney....so one-sided and unfair in way to many ways to list......my heart is breaking.....I think I'm going to be very busy in my little corner of the world.....
Old August 22nd, 2005, 09:30 PM

Well as soon as I heard about it from here, I grabbed up Shasta and we both high tailed it to City Hall. I knew I wouldn't get in since I had her with me, but whi should appear but a reporter. No makeup, hair blown from the bike ride and me in ahalf of a panic attack. I don't even know what I said. He took a lot of video of Shasta though, so hopefully he leaves me out and shows how well behaved and friendly she was.
I'm another that lives on the main floor of a 3 story walk up. I did what the new bill said to do, which was get permossion from all my neighbours that they were not threatened by Shasta being out on a lead without a muzzle. They thought it rediculas, but I told them by law I required their permission. They all gave it. Now London steps in and makes all that a waste. I'm so upset, frozen from standing out there all day and tired from the bike ride there and back from Huron and Highbury.
Anyway, hopefully the positive exposure of Shasta will help. It should be on the 11 PM news tonight I would expect.
If I'm on...I'm looking worse than my worse. My mouth stuck together and hopefully he did a LOT of cutting...and HOPEFULLY I made sence. but you never know with my cognitive problem and him catching me off gaurd.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 10:23 PM

Sorry it took so long for me to post. I needed to spend some quality time with my two dogs and eat. It was great meeting you Lezzer. I would have introduced myself to Beth except I felt shy and she seemed to be a busy women . Maybe the next meeting.

From what I gathered it is NOT looking good. It seems as though council has made up their mind. They did agree that a public input meeting is a fair idea and one will be held. No date was set, so I will keep up to date and find out when. A few councilor's kept repeating the proposed by-law compliments the provincial DOLA very nicely
Also it was mentioned that many people may think this is a "money grab" (which it is) but the City of London can't expect taxpayers to pay $100,000 (expected cost of London enforcement)for the provinical regulations. It was felt pitbull owners should be paying for it. Real fair, I really asked to have my dogs restricted so please slap the restrictions on us and the bill to enforce them I knew months ago municipalities were going to have to foot the bill, I just didn't realize they would try and go about it in this manner.

When Mr. Stanford (I believe his name) & friend were asked about the third-party $1 million insurance liability and how much it would cost yearly for a pitbull owner. They claimed they could not get the info and did not know . I do not believe that is right as when you make a proposal on anything you should always have the facts and information to back up your points. But, they could care less how much it will cost pb owners.
Also, in the proposed by-law they changed I believe (or were contemplating it) "severe bite" to just "bite" to give flexibility.

Lezzer, if you get any more info abou anything, concerning this proposal or ACC please let me know! Thanks
Old August 22nd, 2005, 10:25 PM

Conners,

I LOVE Shasta! I met you outside the City Hall earlier this evening!
Just saw you on The A channel News and you spoke very well about your concerns! And Shasta behaved like an angel
Old August 22nd, 2005, 10:44 PM

Well you know me and Shasta, but which one were you??? I wish I had of known! Darn this brain...sometimes I want to pound it to make it work again! LOL
I didn' get the blue papers everyone was coming out with, but one woman showed me part of it. Anyway I could get a copy if you have it?
GeorgiaPeach, such wonderful compliments. THANK YOU and as for Shasta, that just the way she behaves...but I can't brag because I'm her Mommy so it's nice to hear it frm others. *giggle*

Last edited by Conners; August 22nd, 2005 at 10:50 PM. Reason: I didn't complete the post.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 11:08 PM

I'm the one who recognized Shasta from meeting her at Fanshawe Conservation last summer
It is easy to compliment when she is such a perfect little ambassador of the breed
I had the thick blue agenda but I must have left it by accident. I'm sure you can get it online in a few days, including the minutes of the whole meeting.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 12:39 AM

Oh! You are that very beautiful blond that had the beigh pittie at Fanshawe! That is sooo cool! HI! LOL Well now I know your face and that helps me with my memory problems. It's too bad when the reporter was there, that you couldn't have done the talking and Shasta and I could have just let Shasta be Shasta. I'm sure you would have made much better points as I notice you are VERY well informed and that would have been an advantage. Was anyone else there from this group?
Old August 23rd, 2005, 08:49 AM

City of London bylaws

Good morning! I saw Shasta, Conners and GeorgiaPeaches on tv last night! Good for you! It's wonderful that Shasta is such a lovely example of how sweet and gentle a well-trained pitbull is!! What irked me is the footage they showed between council bits and Shasta! Where on earth they found the heavily chained isolated bunch of pitbulls behind wire fencing is beyond me! Could have been from anywhere in the world, in fact, it looked like somewhere rather desert-like and arid! Looks like the press was trying to show the not-so-positive side of poorly raised pbs......big surprise there....

Conners, if you go to www.london.ca you can access the agenda in full and read the crap the city wants to lay on you. Pg. 98 Section 20.

GeorgiaP: On the news it stated that a public meeting will be held on Monday Sept. 12th. This will address both the Pit bull bylaw stuff and the Animal Control issue. Not going to be a pretty meeting. I have to work again 1-9 that day, so not sure if I can switch or not....guaranteed to be a full house.

I am not at all surprised that the city has gone after the pb owners to try to rake together the $$ needed to enforce the very laws against them. The $$ has to come from somewhere, and asking the non-pb owning public would pizz them off! City takes enough $$ from everyone as it is, so their gonna focus on those that they percieve as being the root of the problem. I guess the provincial gov't doesn't wanna give it, so it appears it is up to each municipality and many cities don't feel any pb bylaw enforcement is gonna happen, 'cause there's no money left to hire staff to bust people and their dogs. But London seems hell-bent on nailing pb owners to the cross. More dip****z in power.....how about dealing with the gun and crime wave problems instead of bothering law-abiding citizens?? I don't know about you, but I am waaaayyyy more frightened of being accidentally shot or knived than I am at being "bit" by any dog, pitty or otherwise
Old August 23rd, 2005, 10:57 AM

I was disturbed when I saw that footage on the news last night between Shasta and the meeting footage. It looked like dogs that were kept for fighting/breeding purposes and were definitely not from around this area. I do not like that they showed that

I must have missed the date for the public meeting. I will put my name on to speak. If you (Lezzer) can get off work I hope you will also speak. The same with you Conners!
I am just hoping that we don't have people who start saying stuff like "pitbulls have so much pounds per pressure when they bite" because that is a myth, but people always believe it. Also I hope people don't have outbursts such as last night. A man at the end kept asking the council questions and he seemed pretty distraught and they (Transportation and Environment council) were not pleased. I hope all the presentations are civil and well presented and do not attack the council because they will just ignore the emotional, angry and distraught individuals.

I am definitely more scared of being shot or stabbed in this city than being bitten by a pitbull. I hardly go downtown in the evening and night. The recent Jewllery Heist and chase happened too close for comfort. Wharncliffe(past Home Depot) and through Lambeth where my mother lives.
I am becoming worried that a lot of Toronto's violence is going to end up here, which it will in a matter of time.

I remember Lezzer you saying you would like to live in the middle of nowhere and run a kennel, that woud be so amazing

Here is a link to the LFP incase anyone hasn't seen it: Pitbull Meeting PlannedThank you Conners for the compliment

Thank you Conners for the nice compliment
Old August 23rd, 2005, 10:59 AM

Can someone tell me exactly where I can put my name on the list to present?
I can't find out where on the website