Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Books

Old August 18th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Senior Contributor

The "What are you reading" Thread

Hey!

On another forum we have a thread to post about the books we are reading and if there good we recomend them.. Thought that would be fun here too!

I just finished reading "HeartStopper" by Joy Fielding..

Aside from the Twilight series.. It was the,

Best.book.EVER..

Its about a serial killer in a small town.

My mom recomended it to me after reading it because I like books with murder and a bit of mystery and love.

When I first started reading it. I thought my mom was crazy. The character was Sadistic.. Freaked me out a little at first.

Once I got into it I stayed up until 8 am to finish it. I literally couldnt put it down.

It was filled with little twists, and kept you guessing and trying to solve the crime. But the twist at the end is.. Just.. wow.. I still cannot beleive what happened.. I got SO into the book.. Its great. I recomend it to everybody. Even if they dont like murder books (My mom dont but she loved it)..

http://www.amazon.com/Heartstopper-N.../dp/0743295986

Im about to start "Dark Desires" by Eve Silver.. Mom tells me it takes place back in the old days and has a bit of murder.. She didnt know if I should be reading it because it does have a bit of Smutt in it (I can only roll my eyes at my mothers attempts.. seriously, im a teenager, I know all about these sorts of things all ready)

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Desires-Z.../dp/0821779664

Anybody read it before? Like it?

When Im done I'll update

In the mean time.. Can anybody recomend some good murder/mystery/love books rolled into one? lol.. I guess murder and mystery is all one thing.
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old August 18th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Have you read The Host by Stephanie Meyer? Same author as the twilight series, but this book was written with a more 'mature' audience in mind. It's my favorite book right now, I've read it twice through. SO good.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old August 18th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey_ View Post
Have you read The Host by Stephanie Meyer? Same author as the twilight series, but this book was written with a more 'mature' audience in mind. It's my favorite book right now, I've read it twice through. SO good.
Oh oh! Nope havent read it but will definatly look for it in the library next time! Thanks !

Another note, anybody read those books..the "sweet valley high" books when you were younger or right now? I used to read those in like, grade 5 and LOVED them.. I might start reading them again but I might not like them now that im older.. I remember going to the library and taking a bagfull home

Mom got me into them, she used to read them when she was a bit younger.. I wonder if my library still carries those?
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old August 18th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Doggie Wench

I love reading The Pokey Little Puppy and anything by Robert Munsch .

I can't seem to get into any fiction lately . I'm in the middle of How To Speak Dog by Stanley Coren. I'm quite enjoying it!

http://www.helium.com/items/1487771-...w-to-speak-dog

You can read the table of contents and get a peek at the first few pages here:

http://www.dogwise.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=DTB666
Old August 18th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Senior Contributor

ZOMG LP!! Pokey little puppy Always my fav books as a child The love for dogs started at birth lol.. I always call keely the pokey llittle puppy.. I am SO wierd, the fact that you mentioned the pokey little puppy excites me to no end!

Im hoping to get "click to calm" when i can get a new job and some money.

have you read that? Im not sure who its by but alot of dog savvy peaople have recommended it to me.
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old August 18th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Doggie Wench

Pokey Little Puppy was the second book I received as a child by my grade 1 teacher, Mrs. Nankoo . I still have it .

Click To Calm is by Emma Parsons. I haven't read it yet. I have two other books waiting for me first...Reaching the Animal Mind by Karen Pryor (Clicker Training and What It Teaches Us About All Animals) and The Power of Positive Dog Training by Pat Miller. I've read similar books by various authors but I like to get different trainers' perspectives.

If your interested on reading up about the relationship between humans and dogs, you're gonna love The Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson. Iv'e read it twice and am gonna have to pick it up again.
Old August 18th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Ill have to give those books a go too! Thanks ! .. I should get a new job in october and im free to have any book I want
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old August 19th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Sweet Valley High, OMG - with Jessica and Elizabeth!!! I STILL have so many of them in boxes in my parents basement (along with my Archie comics, lol). Wow, talk about a blast from the past!

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old August 19th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Senior Contributor

right now I'm reading "play dirty" by Sandra Brown, I'm sort of a readaholic and go through 4-5 novels a week, thank god for garage sales!! Sandra brown is a great author, mystery, bit of sex, lots of intrigue......the twisty plots are what keeps you turning the pages.
Old August 19th, 2009, 07:23 AM

Hi everyone,

LP, I read Click to Calm and it was very well written and explained things in a easy way.

I am currently reading L'ombre du vent, and it is very interesting, well written, lots of metaphores also, so my imagination is satisfied

I just finished reading The Dogs of Riga, from Henning Menkell. Babymomma, I think you would like the books he wrote, I too love murders Also, I strongly suggest the Millenium series

The Host was SO good!!

Ok, I love reading and I think I will enjoy this thread and take notes for future books to read.
Old August 19th, 2009, 07:39 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

babymomma, i loved the twilight series to and definately loved the host. You would probably like an author named Iris Johanson, she writes the kind of books you're describing, or Diana Gabeldon.
Old August 19th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Right now as I'm in mushing withdrawal I'm re-reading "Running With Champions - A Mid-Life Journey on the Iditarod Trail" by Lisa Frederic. It's a great book about how she got involved with sled dogs and ended up running one of Jeff King's teams in the Iditarod. There's a great quote in that book, she doesn't name who it was that said it to her but I love it. "Beware of mushers, they will suck you into their addiction" So true!

I'm also anxiously awaiting the arrival of "The Speed Mushing Manual: How to Train Racing Sled Dogs". I found it on eBay and had to buy as in a sled dog forum discussion about books it comes highly recommended. One musher referred to that and one other book as his "bibles".

Anyone who likes mysteries and horses should check out the Dick Francis series. I've got tons of his books and really enjoyed them. And those who prefer less mystery, more wild and raunchy behaviour but still centered around horse sports will like Rita Jefferies books "A Dark Horse" and "Out of Control". Also Jilly Cooper is a good author and some of her books characters are show jumpers and polo players.

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com

Last edited by Gail P; August 19th, 2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old August 19th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill, I just read it and was so impressed by the way the author writes. Lawrence is a Canadian author. The story starts in an African village where a small girl is kidnapped/stolen/sold by slave traders and goes on to tell of her life as a slave in America and how she copes. Progresses to her as an adult telling her story in England. Highly reccomend this book. 5* out of 5*. pbp
Old August 19th, 2009, 11:06 AM

I just finished reading 'Me talk pretty one day' by David Sedaris. He writes books that are a collection of essays/short stories which are absolutely hilarious. Sort of his view on the world.... now i just started 'The Glass Castle' by jeannette walls, its a memoir and so far into chapter two, its is extremely interesting. I also read recently 'running with scissors; a memoir' by Augusten burroughs (approx spelling). That was a VERY interesting book i just oculdnt put it down, but it's definitely not everyone's cup of tea... very explicit in parts and pushs some societal norms and boundaries but had me in tears from laughing so hard.... love the 'odd' books Chuck puhlaniuk, kurt vonnegut, etc.

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old August 19th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Interesting!

Thanks for the recommendations!
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old August 19th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masha View Post
I just finished reading 'Me talk pretty one day' by David Sedaris.
David Sedaris is one of my all-times faves! I don't read much that isn't animal related non-fiction these days, but whenever he comes out with something I'm first in line to get it. Totally "pee-your-pants" funny writing.

I'm currently reading something with very little ha ha in it: The Welfare of Cats. It's more like a textbook, but does have tons of useful info for those interested in feline behaviour issues and how cats fit in to our society.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old August 20th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow..

"Dark Desires" by Eve Silver..

Another GREAT book.. Stayed up all night klast night reading it Couldnt put it down..

I recomend it to everybody. It kept me "on the ende of my seat" so to speak. Kept me thinking.. Sometimes while reading it I had a huge smile on my face , sometimes I had shivers go down my spine.. It was just great.. If you like a love story and a bit of, Mystery and lust.. This is the book for you!

Seriously. Great Great book.
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old August 20th, 2009, 04:51 PM
~Cat Servent~

Right now I'm on the second to last in the 'Tempe Brennan' series from Kathy Reichs.... I love Bones on TV and the books are even better!

Oh and as for blast from the past, I could read a Christopher Pike mystery cover to cover in under 2 hours!!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old August 20th, 2009, 04:54 PM

Chiapit

Has anyone in here heard of a chiapit? (chihuahua/pitbull/boxer mix)?
Old August 20th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raterion View Post
Has anyone in here heard of a chiapit? (chihuahua/pitbull/boxer mix)?
You mean this?

Sorry I couldn't resist

That's how I first read it.

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com

Last edited by Gail P; August 20th, 2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old August 20th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Molly's mama

great thread.
Masha- I have read and LOVED all the books you mentioned. Hillarious, pee-your-pants funny for sure. I remember while I was reading Me Talk Pretty, I would read parts of it aloud to DH- even though he's not a reader, it was enough to spark his interest and he LOVED it!
BM- I think you would really like Diana Gabaldon. she has a whole series of juicy books about time travel/ mystery/ love.... very addicting.
And I realize this is kinda off-topic (not as OT as the ChiaPet ) but I think you would LOVE the TV series True Blood- it's like Twilight but much more... ahem... mature!!!
Old August 21st, 2009, 12:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Awesome thread BM

Just finishing off Atlas of the Unknowns by Tania James. Loving it. I do a lot of light reading though like read all the shopaholic series and all...but I do like to read more powerful things every once in a while. I think I'm gonna reread a fine balance by rohinton mistry after im done my current read (prob tonight). Read it in highschool and I think it remains one of my fav books ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollywog View Post
but I think you would LOVE the TV series True Blood- it's like Twilight but much more... ahem... mature!!!
Don't ya think that might be a tad bit too mature for BM? No offence BM but if ure mom's a lil concerned bout some 'smutt' in books she is not gonna be too happy bout some of the visuals in true blood (saw parts of an epi). Not saying it is good tho, ppl rave about it.Yes yes Im a prude hahaha. Naaaaah, i just think of u as a lil sis and I would def change the channel if my lil bro (now 17 so not so lil ) was in the room with me with true blood on. But then Im super protective and I'd like to think lil bro still thinks girls have cooties lol Ok I will stop being all big sisterly now

Sorry sorry I so went off topic.

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old August 21st, 2009, 12:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Onster

Um, Im pretttty sure True blood doesnt have anything in it any worse then the movies I watch Like last night I watched Reno 911.... Not bad compared to some

We dont get the channel true blood comes on but my mom is going to contact our satelite provider and purchase the channel, as well as animal planet
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old August 21st, 2009, 01:09 AM
Molly's mama

yes, Onster, True Blood definitely isn't geared towards the same teen audience as Twilight.... but I remember being 16, and being a teacher I realize how quickly kids are growing up these days. So that being said- BM, there are some mature themes in that show and you may want to watch it with a parent or just wait a few years!!! (totalllly off-topic- I saw "Bruno" with my parents in the theatres! Talk about awkward!!!)
I also forgot to mention that I read a lot of Sweet Valley High while I was growing up! and RL Stine, The Babysitters Club, and The Saddle Club! I have always been a reader!
Old August 21st, 2009, 08:41 AM

Haha

I know! the Chiapet is what I always think of too! I just thought it was bizzare mix of dog!
Old August 22nd, 2009, 03:44 PM
Senior Contributor

On to my next book.

Angels and Demons by Dan Brown.. My brother brought it home last night so im going to start reading it later tonight
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old August 27th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Owned by goldens

The "what are you reading"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbpatti View Post
Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill, I just read it and was so impressed by the way the author writes. Lawrence is a Canadian author. The story starts in an African village where a small girl is kidnapped/stolen/sold by slave traders and goes on to tell of her life as a slave in America and how she copes. Progresses to her as an adult telling her story in England. Highly reccomend this book. 5* out of 5*. pbp
I read it this summer and was also very impressed. It was the best book I have read in a long time. In the U.S. it has a different name so if you are looking for it look under the author's name. It may be called "Someone knows my name".
Old August 31st, 2009, 11:14 AM

Just finished reading (and am going to reread) Reaching the Animal Mind: Clicker training and what it teaches us about animals By Karen Pryor. She does an excellent job of describing clicker training and the science behind it. She manages to do so without burying you in scientific jargon or simplifying it so much you lose the basic information. The book is full of interesting stories about animals she and other trainers have trained. She set up a website to go with the book that contains further scientific articles if you feel like tackling the science behind some of what she is talking about, other websites to visit, and videos of some of the different training episodes she describes.
I know everyone else has mostly posted fiction books, and I may have one or two to add later, but this book was really really good.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old August 31st, 2009, 11:34 AM

right now I am reading After Sunset by Stephen King, and re-reading the Xanth series as well. And some VC Andrews crap as well, I tend to have a book in every room and just pic up which ever is closest, LOL.

I read the Saddle Club when i was a kid, but started reading Stephen King when I was 13ish. One of my favorite books when I was a kid was Dogs Body love love love that book.

The Sookie books are the best fluff there is LOL, twilight books were umm ok, if you ignore the disturbing topics and remember they were written for young teens.
Old August 31st, 2009, 12:21 PM

Oooh! Diana Wynn Jones! I used to read all her books. Yes, Dogs Body was a good one.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-