Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Books

Old July 19th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Senior Contributor

He does treat Harry badly, but Snape is a product of his upbringing unfortunately. From what has been written, he didn't have a great home life. We know he was bullied constantly at Hogwarts, by Harry's father no less and Sirius Black, so I can see where he's coming from. Not to mention, he has a life debt to pay to James, which means he's bound to protect Harry, the son of the man who made your life miserable.

Then he became a Death Eater, probably hoping to gain some respect. What happened after that we don't know, but he began working for Dumbledore. He's hated by everyone and mistrusted. The only person who trusted him was Dumbledore. Note that whenever Harry asks anyone in the Order if they trust Snape, they all say the same thing, "Dumbledore trusts him." So right there you know this guy is not only protecting the son of his enemy, he's working for people who don't like him or trust him.

I feel bad for Harry, but I also feel bad for Snape. Also, Harry has no respect for Snape, because Snape hated his father and Sirius. When he found out that Snape's comments about his father being a bully were correct, he was upset about it.

We feel bad for Harry because of his life, the way he grew up. But I suspect Snape grew up in similar if not worse circumstances. Harry is a good looking boy, Snape was/is an unattractive ugly man. It's easy to hate him because of the way he looks and acts.

I don't believe JKR is going to make Snape a bad guy in the end, because she's taken so much time and effort for us to see him that way, and up to now, I don't get the feeling she's an obvious person. I think we are in for a surprise.
Old July 19th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Senior Contributor

I definitely agree about the surprise. Like you said she isn't an obvious person, so therefore I second guess almost everything

I just can't wait to find out what will eventually happen
Old July 19th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Senior Contributor

I know, all these years with hints and rumors. Little tidbits from her in this interview, all the elusiveness. I want to know already!!!
Old July 20th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Senior Contributor

I read the book and you Will hate Snape even more after you read it - that's ALL I am saying!!
Old July 21st, 2007, 10:57 AM
Remembering Lukka

Can somebody PM me and let me know if the Hero dies.
Old July 21st, 2007, 11:14 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukka'sma View Post
Can somebody PM me and let me know if the Hero dies.
I wanna know who dies too , please pm me too
Old July 21st, 2007, 03:33 PM
The demons' servant

Oh it was sooo sooo good....

*oogles and cuddles her copy*

Megan
Old July 21st, 2007, 03:36 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbmnec View Post

Megan
pm me ! pm me !
Old July 22nd, 2007, 01:32 AM

Hi!

Would you mind putting a spoiler alert when revealing plots of previous books?

I have not yet read book 6 and just found out something that I did not want to know...

Thanks!
Old July 22nd, 2007, 12:34 PM
Senior Contributor

I most certainly placed a spoiler alert!! I would not have written this otherwise!!
And yeah, Snape does come out better than I thought actually. I cried when one of the characters died tho - actually sat that and sobbed!! Gawd!
Old July 22nd, 2007, 07:34 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbmnec View Post

Me too. What a great book.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 07:45 PM
Senior Contributor

This is going to be a great movie when they make it.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 07:48 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Oh I agree with that one. I hope they don't cut too much out of it. It's definitely an ending to a story that requires more details. It would be tough to follow if they cut too much out of it.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 07:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Since this book is the last, and it answers many questions, I'd hope they took great care to not cut too much.

I'm about 10 chapters from finishing it. Ugh, I've been packing most of the weekend. I have to say, first I cried over Hedwig, then I cried over Dobby, and I really didn't like Dobby that much.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberKitten View Post
I most certainly placed a spoiler alert!! I would not have written this otherwise!!
And yeah, Snape does come out better than I thought actually. I cried when one of the characters died tho - actually sat that and sobbed!! Gawd!
Maybe I missed it...

I did not know that Dumbledore died...

This is what I read...

Quote:
I know I am late getting to this but here it is - the Harry Potter book thread. When I have time - which means not this week, lol - I have been rereading the last few HP books before the new ones comes along. I thought I had recalled most of the details but there are minor issues you forget. While I know JK Rowling has stated that she believes children need to understand death - and I agree with her there (alas, I work wit kids who face their own mortality and do it with adult sized courage and resilience) - I really wander if Snape actually killed Aldus Dombledore.
But... it was really my fault because I am way behind.... and I really should have known better!
Old July 23rd, 2007, 02:07 PM
Senior Contributor

I did want to add I LOVED the book - think it is the best of the lot! (and that is saying something, lol)

I also have been sitting here thinking I;d love to give my patients a wand and teach them curses against cancer. Or spells at least - zap it away, no chemo, no horrid bone marrow aspirations, no port o caths tho they trump IV's, anyway - you know what I mean!! And I could have zapped my own cancer as well but I believe we need one for kids first!

Anyhow - it's nice to fantasize now and then, lol
Old July 23rd, 2007, 03:18 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

I completely agree CK. This is by far the best book of the series.
Old July 24th, 2007, 01:47 PM

I finished the book last night, and I really enjoyed it. I'm sad that it's the last book and it's all over now! I did hear that J.K. Rowling is planning on writing more (unrelated) books.

Oh, and the chapter posted in this thread is not from the book at all. Doesn't read like J.K.'s writing to me either.
Old July 24th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Senior Contributor

I thought she did a great job at putting things together, but my only complaint is the deaths.

I saw no point in killing poor Hedwig, who was in a cage and couldn't even fly away. I also cried when Dobby got killed. He really loved Harry, and you really could tell Harry cared for him. And why oh why did she have to kill BOTH Remus and Tonks! They just had a baby!

But they were at war, and people die, and I suppose she was going for a lesson there.

I was very happy that Snape was at last vindicated, and it really touched me when he asked Harry to look at him, wanting Harry's eyes (which are just like his mother's) to be the last thing he saw before he died.
Old July 26th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Senior Contributor

I also liked that Harry and Ginny named one of their children Albus Severus! As for the 1st chapter, it is an unedited version. (I spent as much time reading that and was just enthralled, lol) Call me
Old August 17th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Flyball Mom

Loved the closure we got in this book. But, geez, she said at least one character would die... not, like, 20!!!

I don't believe JKR is going to make Snape a bad guy in the end, because she's taken so much time and effort for us to see him that way, and up to now, I don't get the feeling she's an obvious person. I think we are in for a surprise.

I was soooo happy with that surprise! Snape has been one of my favourite characters since the beginning. I saw the first three movies before ever touching one of the books and Alan Rickman may not be the most incredibly good looking guy in the world, but there's something about him that's just hot, and with that he makes Snape hot! I think it's the voice, and the way he mooooves. *melt* I wanna be part of the Snape fanclub!

Check out this video, you'll see what I mean, especially the gas station scene, the charisma, so incredibly hot. It's really hard to believe the man's 61! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7A_bJFZNXE

www.dogster.com/dogs/563959

If you learn one new thing from each person you meet, you will be a fountain of knowledge and your life complete. --Me

Last edited by Byrd; August 17th, 2007 at 10:53 PM.
Old June 5th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Compromised account

I know, I know... 2 years late...LOL

(double-posted in the other HP thread..)

Hi all,

I avoided this thread as I was still reading...Well, last night at 1:30 am, I finally finished the 7th book.

(I am a little behind the rest of the world, as I was getting the whole 7 books together as a set and wanted to read them together.)

Although the finale was a bitter-sweet one, with so many loved characters dying, and such an emotional turmoil, I absolutely loved every paragraph. In fact, I have to say, that Harry Potter series is by far one of the best written pieces I have read in my life. It is right up there, on the top shelf, with my beloved Jane Eyre, Gone with the Wind, Arthur Conan Doyle and other all-time classics I love and cherish and re-read every so often. I think that Ms. Rowling deserves every penny and every word of praise she receives and I feel enriched having read her work.

I think the most emotional part of the book for me was when Harry was walking toward his death, of his own free will, knowing what he knew. And when his parents and Sirius and Lupin showed up - that was just heartwrenching.

I also have to say that I feel sorry for people who don't read. For me, its an inseprarable part of me. I only hope that my future children are as passionate about reading as I am.