Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 14th, 2012, 01:20 PM

What is in Your Pet First Aid Kit?

As I have had dogs going on a couple of years I am slowly putting together an emergency kit for them. Usually as a direct consequence of an emergency happening.

They got into bees and were all puffy. Called the vet. Now I have Benedryl in the dog supply drawer.

Last week it was chocolate. Called the vet. Now I have hydrogen peroxide and a syringe to administer it.

I have sterile bandages and tape to hold it on. Antibiotic ointments.

What else should be in there?
Old January 14th, 2012, 01:27 PM

Given Loki is a Dane and they are very prone to bloating, I keep GasX and Phazyme on hand (and with me if we are going out and about). I also have a dog only thermometer (and mostly importantly, labelled as such!) We too keep Benadryl, Hydrogen Peroxide on hand, as well as Pepto and Imodium. We also share our Polysporin

Here's a great link with some handy hints for medications : http://www.walkervalleyvet.com/otc-meds.htm

But like anything, you should discuss with your vet before trying any on your own (at least that's what I do!)

I don't keep sterile bandages, etc because Loki is so big that I would probably just grab a sheet and rip it if anything was needed.
Old January 14th, 2012, 03:41 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We keep medrol (prednisolone) in the first aid kit for sudden allergic reactions. Also, Benadryl, Hydrogen Peroxide, Imodium, sterile saline for flushing wounds and eyes, and some ointments--some for eye irritations not involving scratches and some for eye irritations when a scratch is suspected (the former has a steroid component, the latter does not); also some antibiotic/steroidal skin creams for wounds. Vet wrap, gauze and bandages are also a staple along with a thermometer.

I won't even get into the amount of antibiotics we have on hand--we live in tick country and every fall we're battling tick disease. So doxycycline and amoxicillin are part of our arsenal (we get prescriptions from the vet for 500 ct bottles which are much more economical, plus they're human grade so we can use it, too, when we get one of the tick diseases). Leptospirosis is also common here and the same antibiotics will work for that. We also have a big bottle of metronidazole on hand which has been very useful for a number of problems we've had. All of these, of course, are used only after consultation with a vet.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."