Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 10th, 2007, 08:51 AM
A.K.A. Nellie's Mom

Angry Crazy Cat attacked my puppy!!!!

The cats in the back of my condo are getting out of hand. My neighbor once told me that she felt bad for the cats because people seem to move away and just leave them to fend for themselves. She said she had been feeding tehm but taht she had stopped.

Well this morning We found two cats hiding under our barbeque cover. We were able to take our 4 1/2 month old puppy (She's a lot bigger then the cat) outside without any issues.

Then before we were leaving for work we went to take her out one last time.

The cats had moved over to our other neighbors deck. When I noticed another tail, so now I know there are at least 3 cats. Nellie, my puppy, tail wagging wanting to meet these new creatures ran over there. We have her on an extend leash. I locked her in before she got too close but they didnt seem defensive. Realizing that she wouldn't pee if distracted by the cats I pulled her over to our side of the deck. She then bolted back to where the cats were and a cat jumped out from under my neighbors deck and attacked her! I screamed and pulled Nellie away some 30 feet only to have the cat chase her and jump on her again!

My boyfriend heard the horrible screams and ran out. Yelling at the cat we were able to run around to the front of the house. Nellie's tail was stuck between her legs in fear and blood was dripping from her nose. We weren't able to find the scratch (which I think is inside her little nose).

I have never been so scared of a cat in my entire life!!! Ive had two cats whom I loved dearly and even wanted another cat sometime soon. I cannot believe some mangy cat would do that to my puppy! I know they are territorial but if I cannot even take my dog outside to go to the washroom without her being attacked!

What can I do about the cat issue? I dont even know if these are strays or peoples pets? I dont think the humane society would do anything.

Thi post is just a vent as I am sure people at my work are tired of hearing how a cat has shaken me up! Stupid cat. I was defenseless too...i should have just kicked it or something but I was so scared! (note: kicking an animal is horrible, but in defense of another little animal I think it is ok!)

Southern Ontario, Canada

http://www.josdesigns.com/Nellie
Old April 10th, 2007, 10:08 AM

I know exactly what you felt.We had(one passed away)2 cats that like and tolerate my dog and when we visited my sister I just didn't even think her cat might attack my dog but he did!The scary thing is how quick and nasty they can be and once a cat really is in attack mode it goes ballistic!My husband picked up our 22 pound dog and was holding him up over his head and the damned cat was trying to climb my husband like a tree to get at the dog.Blood everywhere,kids crying my sister and I screaming like fools the dog crying and the growling that was coming from the cat was freaking scary stuff!
The best thing to do is throw your jacket on top of the cat so it can't see or arm yourself with a huge water balloon and great aim.
Old April 10th, 2007, 10:15 AM
~Cat Servent~

Ok first of all, those poor kitties are homeless, fighting for food and forced to defend themselves against all kinds of animals (including the human kind), so the fact that they would attack a bounding and excited puppy is not that big of a shocker. Although sweet to you, that would be terrifying to them. I also had a huge problem with strays that people just 'left behind' at my old building and I was the lady who was feeding them. The lady that was feeding them has unwittingly made them dependant on her for food... so they may be very confused and angry that she just stopped suddenly. If indeed these used to be companion cats they need to be trapped by a reputable rescue group and fostered long enough to trust again and then rehomed.

I'm sorry your poor puppy got it's nose hurt. Puppies are just naturally curious and he just wanted to make friends. But those poor little kitties are just hungry, scared and confused as to why they are now fending for themselves. Please try and contact a rescue group in your area and help those kitties...left alone the problem will only get worse, if they are unspayed or neutered later this spring you will have many many more.

I know it seems a lot and you feel the victim right now, but as a human these kitties are our responsibility, and also deserve a loving home just like your little puppy. I hope he recovers quickly and that those kitties get some help soon.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old April 10th, 2007, 10:25 AM
cat slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdahmer View Post
Ok first of all, those poor kitties are homeless, fighting for food and forced to defend themselves against all kinds of animals (including the human kind), so the fact that they would attack a bounding and excited puppy is not that big of a shocker. :
agreed.
Your puppy should know her place and this could've happened with any other animal. What if it was a racoon?? THe puppy now has learned that it's not safe to go up to just any animal. If you get a cat, same thing would happen. Animals have to set some rules amongst themselves and a dog eventually learns what cats are about.

hope puppy's nose heals fast
Old April 10th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdahmer View Post
Ok first of all, those poor kitties are homeless, fighting for food and forced to defend themselves against all kinds of animals (including the human kind), so the fact that they would attack a bounding and excited puppy is not that big of a shocker. Although sweet to you, that would be terrifying to them. I also had a huge problem with strays that people just 'left behind' at my old building and I was the lady who was feeding them. The lady that was feeding them has unwittingly made them dependant on her for food... so they may be very confused and angry that she just stopped suddenly. If indeed these used to be companion cats they need to be trapped by a reputable rescue group and fostered long enough to trust again and then rehomed.

I'm sorry your poor puppy got it's nose hurt. Puppies are just naturally curious and he just wanted to make friends. But those poor little kitties are just hungry, scared and confused as to why they are now fending for themselves. Please try and contact a rescue group in your area and help those kitties...left alone the problem will only get worse, if they are unspayed or neutered later this spring you will have many many more.

I know it seems a lot and you feel the victim right now, but as a human these kitties are our responsibility, and also deserve a loving home just like your little puppy. I hope he recovers quickly and that those kitties get some help soon.

very well said! I agree, and it it kitten season, so maybe one of the cats' is pregnant? They become very defensive when they feel theatened if they are pregnant or have young.
I once saw a mother cat at our trailer attack a 16 year old Chi, because she got to close to the cat's kittens!
And yes they are like wild animals when they feel threatened and attack.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old April 10th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Sorry about your dog.
Look at it from the cat's point of view: he's been dumped, he barely gets enough to eat (he's a lousy hunter - most are), he's always on the defensive because there is NO safe place, perhaps feverish from infected wounds, cold, lonely and scared. He has nothing to lose.
The kindest thing you can do is to contact a rescue group and ask them to get involved in trapping and evaluating these cats. Perhaps some of them are too feral to rehabilitate but you'd be surprised, the demon that 'climbed' your husband may well turn out to be just another abandoned pet which desperately needs help.
In the meantime, please find a place well away from your yard and leave out some food for them. A full stomach is a very calming thing.
I suppose the final solution would be the SPCA but only if all else fails, because they probably wouldn't make the cut.

Last edited by badger; April 10th, 2007 at 10:36 AM.
Old April 10th, 2007, 10:44 AM

The "demon" that attacked my husband ,didn't really attack my husband.He just tried climbing him to get to our dog!The cat is a very loved rescue kitty who is THE BIGGEST suckiest mooshball around any human.
I posted my story to lend a sympathetic ear and to show I understood what she felt.Focus on the fact that we ended it in a very humane way.We threw a jacket on top of the cat and got the dog far away from the cat!
While I think calling a rescue to come out would be best if they can't get there and the cat attacks the next time she takes her dog out then I do suggest either throwing a jacket,towel,blanky over it or using water!Much more humane than kicking.
Old April 10th, 2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Your puppy should know her place and this could've happened with any other animal.
How should the puppy know her place?

Puppies are curious, and we have to keep a constant eye on them until they calm down and understand things better.

I hope your doggy heals up nicely... There's not way to clean the wound?
Old April 10th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Some cats are very territorial. A friend of mine's cat attacked my 67lb AkitaX a few years back when we stayed there over the weekend. They have four cats but only one was on the killer mode. If that cat so much as saw Shadow she attacked her. Poor Shadow was terrified to go through a door for fear of being charged and pounced on. She did her best to make friends with the other three (and did very well at it too), but the fourth no way!

I agree that the kitties need help. If you can find a rescue to deal with them it will make your life and your puppies life much safer and easier and make a better life for kitties too.

Hope your puppies nose heals up well.
Old April 10th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Animal Lover

I'm sorry this happened to your puppy. I hope he and you feel better soon!

Has anybody every tried using that cat away stuff they sell at the pet store? I don't know if it's humane or not, but you may be able to put around the BBQ and places where the kitties hide in your pup's territory. I think if a rescue group can come in and give the cats a good home is certainly the ideal solution. Good luck to you though!

The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
-Anonymous
Old April 10th, 2007, 02:41 PM

Hey Woodstock!!! I have a trailer out at Parkhaven Lake about 5 mins from Woodstock and am there everyweekend. I am so sorry for what you have gone through my dear, that's aweful. Now to be fair, I am a cat person....but having said that I believe that responsible cat owner's should keep their cat's INDOORS only, unless on leashes/pet strollers with their owners to avoid feral cat's and all the diseases and what has happened here. Unfortunately most of the time the poor kitties are left to their own devices to fend for themselves and it's no better for a cat than any other animal they need love and food and shelter as much or more than a lot of pet's... I would put up a bulletin (I don't quite remember whether you live into a condo unit or what, but if it has a bulletin board, please post something there about the cat's and possible owners) Honestly I have a problem with a neighbours cat constantly coming over and bothering my 120lb Rottweiler (but of course even my cat's who are indoor unless they are out on a leash with me have given her a couple "attitude adjustments" for coming too close and being too curious, but that is just the way it goes between cat's and dogs)... if I got no response from the people around you about the cat's I would then call the local cat rescue centre first and then the humane society and see if you could get them picked up, (who knows what shot's they have or have not had???) I would much rather be safe than sorry! And if that doesn't work...at the risk of offending people here's the other idea that I've actually tried and it's worked like charm....I have used my kennel and baited it with some really tasty cat food and when I catch the cat that has no collar/tag's/tattoo's (can't find a neighbour who know's it....go on the local humane society/paper/missing pet site and check for missing/lost cats etc etc) then I take it to the local cat rescue place and drop it off there, it always breaks my heart when I have to do that because all these cat's want is to be loved (well at least 99% of them anyway). For awhile it was my only option as we had strays literally trying to scratch off our screen's in our newly rennovated house and I really didn't have any other choice. But I must warn you if you do decide to go this route, you may attract more than just a kitty....you know what I mean, I've also trapped skunks, (which I've just set free...as long as their tail is not up, and they are facing you you are fine)....also I've caught raccoons (again, I've just opened up the cage and shooed them out) but I'm comfy with these kinds of animals as I hand raise stray/injured animals at my house as well (skunks/raccoon's/chipmunks etc)...so if you don't want to go to that extreme you may want to explain the situation to the local cat/kitten rescue in the area, and only the humane society as a last resort because of the euthanasia rate. I'll tell you if I ever win a lottery I would have the biggest and best animal rescue place for domestic and stray's in the central/southern ontario area...my income dictate's how many I can take in now, and I have people bringing me animal's all the time...but since I already have 2 stray cat's and a rottie dog, my "house" as it were is full, but I would love to be able to care for all of them if I had the resources. Whatever you do just try to be kind and understand that if they started out as pet's and even if they didn't all they want is the comfort's and basics like food/shelter/water/love and respect like we all do.

good luck to you my dear and I hope that your puppy is okay.

puss
For my babies, Trouble (little black panther cat-stray) Ty-D-Bowl (my huge grey & white fluffy part cat part raccoon - sure eat's like one anyway-stray) and the newest addition to our furry family, Bear 10 week old black Labradoodle puppy....and of course,

R.I.P. my baby Rottie dog, Sierra (Stinker) 97-07.

Last edited by muskokapuss; April 10th, 2007 at 02:54 PM.
Old April 10th, 2007, 04:00 PM
A.K.A. Nellie's Mom

Thanks

Well I thank everybody for their responses. I wasn't really sure if there was anything that you can do when the cats are causing problems. I could really care less if I had 10 of them hanging out on my deck as long as they were kind animals.

I don't think it is right to say that a puppy should know her place. This is her yard we are talking about here. It's my fault for letting her get close to them, not hers for being curious. My neighbor at lunch said she was feeding them but that she beleives most of them belong to the house behind ours. Apparently the woman that lives there (now to be known as crazy cat lady) told my neighbor that her cats just keep having babies....Grrreat.

When I took Nellie out at lunch time I was armed with a camera tripod! Lame! There were no cats in sight. I think they were just using my deck as shelter for the night.

To the person that mentioned she might come in contact with a racoon, this has also already happened! But nothing viscious occered thank god.

It's important to note that my dog is a Wheaten Terrier - known for being happy and loving anything and anyone that moves. I hope this little incident hasn't dappened her spirits! (Although Im pretty sure she got over it within a minute and I'm the broken one!)

If I see the cats again tomorrow I will call the SPCA or animal control or whoever. I don't mind the cats but if they aren't safe and my family isn't safe it can't continue.

Thanks to Rainy for sharing that story. It's very scary!!!!!

Southern Ontario, Canada

http://www.josdesigns.com/Nellie
Old April 10th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCWTlover View Post
It's important to note that my dog is a Wheaten Terrier - known for being happy and loving anything and anyone that moves. I hope this little incident hasn't dappened her spirits! (Although Im pretty sure she got over it within a minute and I'm the broken one!)
Umm I have known wheaten terriers that kill cat's. Many of the terrier breeds can be quite aggressive with smaller animals.

I think the suggestion of carrying a water gun, is great, cat's hate water. Also it will not harm the cat (like a kick or a camera tripod might)

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old April 10th, 2007, 11:29 PM

Please don't kick the cat. It's just trying to teach the overexcited puppy to leave it alone. You can break its ribs or kill it with a kick. It's not ok in defense of a puppy; a little scratch isn't a life-threatening injury.

If you want to get them to clear out, turn the garden hose or sprinklers on them, or even just a squirt gun. They'll either vacate the area completely or quickly flee whenever they see you.

Last edited by Edgewaters; April 10th, 2007 at 11:32 PM.
Old April 10th, 2007, 11:52 PM
chronically insane.

Please just don't blame the cats. If they are becoming an issue send them to a NO kill shelter by contacting someone who can do a TNR.. alleycats.org i think has some stuff.

Sorry about your puppy The cats just don't know any better.

I have lots of strays too, but non have ever attacked anything really other then occasional killing of a rodent or bird.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old April 10th, 2007, 11:59 PM
~Cat Servent~

Again I must stress, try a rescue group first, the SPCA and Humane Society often have no funds or room to care for feral/aggressive animals and thus many i know of simply put them to sleep. If these are or were pets, they can be rehomed, but only if they are given a chance.

If you think that these belong to someone (the crazy cat lady), try talking to her and mentioning that they are on your property and have harmed your dog. 'They keep having babies' concerns me, maybe she doesn't have the funds to fix them all, and there are programs in most areas for that. Maybe give her this web site as a place to start.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M