Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old April 6th, 2007, 03:44 PM

Angry Should I Be Mad?

Im pretty mad. A crazy lady named "Crazy Gloria" in my apartment complex has gone and had her Shih-Tzu bred. She knows NOTHING about breeding. She is the definition of a BYB and I can't stand her. This lady comes to our door, while I was at work, and my partner answered the door. Crazy Gloria told her that we should come see the puppies. So my partner picks me up from work just now,tells me what happened and I was fuming. I told her that there was no way in hell that I would support that woman by going and cooing all over her puppies. However, my partner loves puppies and is not as passionate as I am about this whole BYB thing. We actually got into a fight over it and we are not speaking. She is now down at Crazy Gloria's playing with the puppies. I am so hot right now that I could spit. Why can't she support my beliefs? Should I be this pissed? I feel like she's over there playing with the enemy, yanno? Am I being too sensitive??

Thanks,
One Pissed Lesbian

I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the cast-offs of human society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal. And I was angry. "God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?" God was silent for a moment and then He spoke softly. "I have done something," He replied, "I created you." -The Animal's Savior, Copyright Jim Willis 1999
Old April 6th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Boss-lady!

Right or wrong, Mahealani, I'd be pretty steamed about it, too.

I don't expect my guy to 100% share my views and beliefs, but we do try to respect and honour each other's viewpoints even when we don't agree.

It might have been better if you partner had discretely gone over to see the puppies rather than so blatantly do something she knew would upset you. That's my , anyways.

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad
Old April 6th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Mahealani,I am sure you are p...sed,as would I be
However,although hubby loves animals,he really does not understand the ills of BYB,pet-shop puppies etc...or why I get angry over something I cannot change,although I would try..
I just hope this crazy lady knows how to care for these pups and the mother,what's done is done,however I would encourage her to have her dog spayed and make sure the pups will be neutered/spayed or they might end up in another BYB or Puppy-mill:sad:
Old April 6th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Senior Contributor

For sure,.I would be pi**** and i think you have the right to be,my boyfriend knows also how passionate i am about animals,and he might do alot of things that make me mad,but he would not cross that line w/ my beliefs about animals.And in that situation she should of respected your beliefs.
Old April 6th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Yes you have the right to be really mad pi**ed.and she should respect how you feel and be more understanding.and went at a different time when your not there.
Old April 6th, 2007, 05:55 PM

Byb

Ok, I am new to this froum, but does byb mean backyard breeder?

I guess I will walk the line on this one.

Your partner needs someone to stick up for her side. You love her more than anything. Ignorance is bliss. Especially for me, who can't handle hearing/seeing dogs fighting and people cheering this on. It kills me. Maybe Gloria is ignorant in that aspect?

Does your partner understand:
The term backyard breeder is a general term used to describe people who allow their dogs to procreate regardless of physical, genetic, and/or emotional health. While this term is often reserved for "home breeders", or those who breed for fun, it has also found recognition in the description of unreputable show and working breeders. The latter two groups often focus on one aspect of the dog (such as aesthetics), while ignoring the original function and temperament of the breed. In the process of careless breeding, many backyard breeders produce genetically weak puppies that are predisposed to debilitating physical deformities.

Backyard breeding is popularly blamed for the proliferation of aggressive dogs for the sports of baiting and dog fighting. Dog fanciers generally believe that such ill-bred dogs are the reason for the bad reputation of some breeds in the public perception, and the resulting breed-specific legislation.

Gloria could be enlightened by you. I think you are missing out on an opportunity to help Shih Tzus. She has now got to witness the miracle of dog birth and maybe she can be convinced to have her dog (and pups taken care of too) spayed and talked into fostering Shih-Tzus that are going to be killed otherwise. If need be, provide her with information on a Shih Tzu rescue group nearby. I found this one through Google, but don't know how close they are:
http://www.southernfurbabyrescue.org...ormation2.html

** Become a Foster Volunteer **

Why not open your heart and home. Becoming a foster parent is the single most important way to help. Without foster homes, SSTR cannot rescue the many furbabies who need our help. At least twice a month, we are forced to turn down furbabies because there are no foster homes available. We currently place about 25-30 furbabies a year into new homes. This number could easily double with additional foster homes. We have actually had to turn many babies away this year.

Visit our Official Website for more details: www.SouthernShihTzuRescue.org

Helen Keller:
"When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us."
Old April 6th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Queen

Yes that would bother me very much. It might have been a bit better if she let you know that she understood your feelings and said well I just have to go see those puppies anyway. "While i'm down there i'll try to find out if they are going to be adopted out properly etc.." seems rather antagonistic on her part since you feel so strong about it and she must realize that? Maybe she doesn't? Not sure if that helps.
Old April 6th, 2007, 06:32 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahealani770 View Post
I feel like she's over there playing with the enemy,
I would feel the same way. Maybe if you explain to your partner some of these puppies may end up in a pet shop , can easely get sick and die. Or get adopted by morons who will dump them one day at a high kill shelter, who won't have a choice but to be them down because they are full....
Old April 6th, 2007, 06:43 PM

You should have made a deal ...

You'd go over to see the pups if she'd come with you and tour the local shelter and see the end result of backyard breeding ...
Old April 7th, 2007, 12:02 AM

I'd be mad too..
Old April 7th, 2007, 07:31 AM

I would probably be pissed but there is a bright side, at least she is not going to pay the woman for a puppy. I can understand wanting to look at cute puppies but it is a whole other thing to support a byb by contributing financially to their effort. Hopefully now the animal will be spayed...
Old April 7th, 2007, 12:12 PM

You have every right to be upset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgewaters
You should have made a deal ...

You'd go over to see the pups if she'd come with you and tour the local shelter and see the end result of backyard breeding ...
This is a great idea! Some people just don't understand until they see things in person (my husband is the same way).
Old April 7th, 2007, 12:40 PM
cat slave

ok so i'll be on the contrary...but your wife wasn't part of the breeding and therefore it's not her fault. I don't think she's supporting that lady by showing love to those poor innocent lives, unless she buys them.

Secondly, I tend to see this a lot but, many of you see someone doing something "unethical" with an animal and you either angrily ignore them or shout at them and make them feel like a kid. To me, that solves NOTHING!! That person is probably thinking "anry person talking down to me, well F them!" and they therefore learn nothing and will breed their dog over and over and over again.

I think it's better if you went down there and showed that woman what you know. She might take the info she might not, but at least you didn't close your eyes and shut your ears because you know better but proving that you don't. You see what I'm saying?? Some people just don't know. How are they going to change if the information isn't given to them? The choice isn't given??

Thridly......I remember what you said about your wife's personal mood swings and I think that if she's able to enjoy those puppies and be happy, that's great for her! Let her be happy and you can go there and enjoy the moment of her being happy or .....not

so good luck Mahealani I know you'll do the right thing
Old April 9th, 2007, 06:48 AM

Thanks everyone for your input, advice, and comments. I really appreciate it. This issue led into bigger issues over the weekend between my partner and I so I am just now seeing everyone's posts.

To the people who suggest that I educate this woman:
Awhile back I started a thread asking for BYB information so that I could stick it on Crazy Gloria's door. I did that. She is not someone that you can confront face to face, so I stuck all the BYB info I had on her door. Apparently she didn't give a damn. So, what can ya do? I provided the information and it was up to her to do what she wanted with it.

Kyra, I appreciate all that info you left for me. My goal in life is to get to the point where I can foster special needs animals. I would love to do that now, but I'm not home enough to be able to give as much attention as those sweet animals would need. So, that's just a dream for me right now. Also, I have a bit of a "special needs" wife at home that is draining the life out of me right about now.

Anywho...thanks again everybody. I've had a very painful, stressful, and draining weekend and I'm just exhausted. Have a great day.
~M~

I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the cast-offs of human society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal. And I was angry. "God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?" God was silent for a moment and then He spoke softly. "I have done something," He replied, "I created you." -The Animal's Savior, Copyright Jim Willis 1999
Old April 9th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Mahealani,don't feel bad because you cannot manage to get through to this crazy lady she is making money off the back of her dog and money talks,you've done what you can do,by letting her know how you feel.
You can talk to her in an informative manner about the perils of selling her pups to anyone off the street,tell her the pups could end up with a puppy-miller.
Hopefully she cares enough about the pups to ensure they get good homes,writing up contracts etc..
BYB's are not against the law,unfortunately,at least not here in Ontario,as I found out,unless the dogs are kept in deplorable conditions.
Sorry you had a stressful weekend,I too have tried talking to people,without beeing able to get through to them,unfortunately not all feel the way we do:sad:
Old April 12th, 2007, 10:05 PM

Ooops

Mahealani,
I am so sorry. My post was disoriented in the fact that I meant Gloria
should become the foster volunteer. That information was supposed to be for her, not you. I figured you knew about that kind of stuff already from being involved with this forum. I hope everything works out for the best. I may not be spending too much time on here... I am happy to say my rescue and need for fostering support has had great results.
P.A.W.S. has been so kind to sponsor Misty, my abused and neglected foster. She saw a vet yesterday and was put on antibiotics for staph infections. They are testing her stool sample for the blood we all saw in it. She was given a liquid heartworm and she is going back to the vet on Friday.
She has some shakes or shivers, which the vet doesn't seem to be concerned about currently. I think the vet is more worried about the staph, which explains the Friday appointment? I was worried she had a heart or lung problem. Her test results were negative for worms. *Yeah*
I will be helping to answer phones and helping to prepare for a huge fundraiser for PAWS.
I will try to check in or ask questions from time to time.
Good luck with your dreams ~ K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyra View Post
Gloria could be enlightened by you. I think you are missing out on an opportunity to help Shih Tzus. She has now got to witness the miracle of dog birth and maybe she can be convinced to have her dog (and pups taken care of too) spayed and talked into fostering Shih-Tzus that are going to be killed otherwise. If need be, provide her with information on a Shih Tzu rescue group nearby. I found this one through Google, but don't know how close they are:
http://www.southernfurbabyrescue.org...ormation2.html

** Become a Foster Volunteer **

Why not open your heart and home. Becoming a foster parent is the single most important way to help. Without foster homes, SSTR cannot rescue the many furbabies who need our help. At least twice a month, we are forced to turn down furbabies because there are no foster homes available. We currently place about 25-30 furbabies a year into new homes. This number could easily double with additional foster homes. We have actually had to turn many babies away this year.

Visit our Official Website for more details: www.SouthernShihTzuRescue.org
Old April 15th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Senior Contributor

I would also be furious but at Gloria more so than my partner. If he opted to visit a byb, I would assume that he is telling her the evils of this - in a diplomatic way.It might get him thrown out of the house but hey, at least he saw the puppies and made certain they were being cared for properly and that mama is OK. Sounds like Gloria;s pup[pies prob do need some monitoring if she knows nothing! Even reputable breeders have mentors who thay have on speed dial (along with their vet of course),

If he was not doing that, we would prob still argue but I;d take the opportunity to find out how the puppies are doing and how she plans to find homes for them. If she is breeding, I amn guessing it is not free to good home - unless she is a poor marketer and alas, that is not unknown amg byb, esp the ones who live in apts. I say that not to be dismissive in any way of anyone who lives in an apt but an apt is no place to breed any animal. You need so much space!!! (Unless this is say the complete floor of an old and very big house? I should not make too many assumptions here). What does the landlord say? It is amazing to find an apt that takes animals where I live, never mind one where one plans to breed said animal!

I do hope you and your partner get your differences worked and she (?) can see why you feel the way you do and how important it is to fight against byb's. If you feel as strongly as you do - and it certainly sounds like it- can you not ask Gloria what she plans to do? How will she care for these puppies? Does she belong to a registry? (Questions you prob sadly know the asnwers to, sigh!) And it's too bad you can't bring Gloria to visit the pound to see what happens to puppies who do not get adopted. But by all means, I would be tempted -if I were you - to bring your partner/ so!!