Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits > Breed bans - BSL - Pit Bull bans

Old February 12th, 2008, 11:21 PM

Thumbs up Restricted breed finally acknowleged as Certified Service Dog in Ontario

I'm sorry for being away from her so long. I'm still in a flare that I went into last October, so even though late, I wanted you to know that in London, (one of the worst Bullie hating cities in Ontario) has finally recognized and put on file that Shasta is a certified service/guide dog and promised me no more me having to fight for our rights.
I receive a monthly allowance for her up keep from the same government that has restricted the Bullie breeds. I do not have to pay for her annual dog license as she is listed as a Medical Aid and not a pet.
Though I must still bide by the Pit bull laws; her having to wear a muzzle even while on duty, I no longer need to bring in her certification, nor any of the other documents and certificates she earned.
I only need to bring in 2 current pictures of her each year as required by London's bylaw and ACC.
The year before I had to fight in City Hall for months prior to me getting my fee refunded back to me and ACC was not giving in, but then again, neither was I even though I had all her documents and letters.
I was told this was NOT a breed issue, but naturally it was or it would have gone through automatically.
I was shown her file this year to prove they had her on file (not as a Pit bull breed), but as a Certified Medical Assist Dog.
She has been certified since fall of 2006, but only recognized by her status and not by her breed by the city at the end of 2006.
Now I'm trying to find out if there are other restricted Bullies in Ontario that also are certified Service/Guide dogs. Does anybody know?
Old February 12th, 2008, 11:29 PM

Ps

I no longer have a phobia of public transport (though I still prefer to use them unless necessary). Shasta has gotten me over that hump and now I am no longer confined to 2 km, but have also traveled all around London and even to Toronto and Burlington.
She has been in hospitals, fund raisers in everything from a bowing alley right to a loud bar. She's with me 24/7 and goes everywhere I do. Even to ACC to get her own license.
Old February 12th, 2008, 11:41 PM

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Good for you for sticking to your guns!
Old February 13th, 2008, 01:12 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Can't help with your question, but I did want to congratulate you and Shasta! Such great news!

I just wish you hadn't had to move heaven and earth to make things right!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 13th, 2008, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I just wish you hadn't had to move heaven and earth to make things right!
You know, this might sound strange, but because have needed to fight with everything within me and for such a long time, it makes the victory that much sweeter in the long run.

It's sort of like anything that is worth getting after or doing is always harder than going the easy road and not doing it right. Do you know what I mean?

An example is, parenting can take hard work or it can take no work at all. The outcome is how you're kids turns out to show how much you put into them or not once they become older.

It also showed me that though plagued with disabilities and health problems, I'm a lot stronger person than many people with normal health and inside I'm proud I'm not a quitter. I believe in something and go after it. It feels FANTASTIC to finally win the good fight and Shasta and I, the victors.

Does that make sense or am I just ??? LOL
Old February 13th, 2008, 03:53 AM
-

It makes perfect sense to me and you are one incredibly strong person.

Congratulations to you and Shasta.

I cannot help with your question either but there are several members here that may so keep coming back to check.

Would also love to see pics of your special girl.
Old February 14th, 2008, 08:50 AM

Wow, if you don't mind I'd like to relate your story to the owner of Rambo.
It's ironic that the most vilified of dogs has a special place as a guide dog.
A hug or handshake to you for your efforts and Shasta is one fine looking pooch.
Old February 14th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Missing My Bubba Bear

That's awesome. Good work.

I wish nyc would get really strict on licensing dogs. maybe then we could keep our pits but stop the bad owners.
Old February 14th, 2008, 10:17 AM

Kudos to you and to Shasta
Old February 14th, 2008, 11:02 AM

Conners, it just occured to me that your story and experience may help the cause.
Don't want to cause you anymore stress than you've already been thru but I'm sure that your story carried forward by the right people could help in the fight to save Rambo and in fact disprove the whole BSL fiasco. May I respectfully suggest that you talk to Carolyn Parrish ?
[email edited out per forum rules - please PM Brooster for email address. Tks] fingerscr

Last edited by Carnac; February 19th, 2008 at 06:48 AM. Reason: removed email address
Old February 14th, 2008, 04:54 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conners View Post
It's sort of like anything that is worth getting after or doing is always harder than going the easy road and not doing it right. Do you know what I mean?
Absolutely! It's so great to see your huge effort pay off! I wish there were more like you! But when it's a choice between 'easy' and 'right', too many opt for the easy way out.

Quote:
It also showed me that though plagued with disabilities and health problems, I'm a lot stronger person than many people with normal health and inside I'm proud I'm not a quitter. I believe in something and go after it. It feels FANTASTIC to finally win the good fight and Shasta and I, the victors.

Does that make sense or am I just ??? LOL
Makes perfect sense to me! But then, there are those on the board who might tell you ol' hazel is , so take that with a grain of salt!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 18th, 2008, 11:24 PM

Both Shasta and I thank you all for your very kind words.
So many people told me it would be impossible, first of all trying to get her certified in a restricted province. I proved them wrong so I wasn't about to let the city get away with not acknowledging her when she had all her documentations and certificates. Stores, restaurants, buses, and business establishments all accepted her without question, so why not City Hall and ACC? Yes, I said buses. Shasta got me over my phobia of public transportation, so we go EVERYWHERE together. We even go to Toronto and Burlington and Toronto people give me a smile with the thumbs up. It feels so good!
Yes, Rambo needs help and if Shasta and I can help in any way, we will. I'll email her and see if we can.
Old February 18th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Conners & Shasta, Congratulations on all of your hard work. I do not know your whole story but it sounds like you had to kick buttto get what you needed. If you can help others now, that would be the icing on the cake for the both of you. KUDOS pbp
Old February 19th, 2008, 08:59 PM

Conners it is good to see that your persistance has paid off with a victory, congratulations.
Old February 19th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:

Both Shasta and I thank you all for your very kind words.
So many people told me it would be impossible, first of all trying to get her certified in a restricted province. I proved them wrong so I wasn't about to let the city get away with not acknowledging her when she had all her documentations and certificates. Stores, restaurants, buses, and business establishments all accepted her without question, so why not City Hall and ACC? Yes, I said buses. Shasta got me over my phobia of public transportation, so we go EVERYWHERE together. We even go to Toronto and Burlington and Toronto people give me a smile with the thumbs up. It feels so good!
Yes, Rambo needs help and if Shasta and I can help in any way, we will. I'll email her and see if we can.
And we love having you two at the walks in Toronto too!!!
congrats Connie!
Old February 27th, 2008, 10:56 PM
tybrax

Congradulations Conner's that is wonderful news.

tybrax