Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Pets that have passed away - Rainbow bridge

Old November 21st, 2014, 07:30 PM
Feline Lunch Lady

My Big Old Bossy Boy

Hi Folks - it's been years. Many years ago, we got a cat. I didn't want a cat. I was a dog person. But, my daughter really wanted a cat, so after she saved up all of her money for a year to pay for 1/2 of the adoption fee at our local shelter (she was eight years old); I caved in and we went and picked our Sunny Boy. A medium hair, 2 year old cat with 3 legs. But we really didn't get a cat. What we got was an evil genius, criminal master mind in a furry body. I also had no idea at the start of all this, that I was going to fall completely in love with him. What a clever cat he was. Not what I expected him to be at all.

I had some problems figuring him out at first. I came here for help and found a wealth of information and some very kind folks who helped me out. Soon, Sunny became my cat, and my big old bossy baby boy. My Velcro cat that followed me everywhere. He even "meowed" in full sentences. We had many interesting 'conversations'. He gave me loving. He gave me heck. He bossed me around. We played together. He even taught me a game of hide and go seek that he must have learned from his other life before us. He was just awesome.

In September, we noticed him slowing down a bit. Well, he's 15 - it should probably be expected. Later in the month, we realized that we probably should visit the vet. Turned out he was full of cancer, with no chance of survival and that although he hid it well, the vet told us that he was in a lot of discomfort. My husband phoned me at work with this news. I burst into tears. So, On Friday, October the 3rd, I had to say goodbye to my loving special precious bossy boy. This is the first time I'm writing about it - and it still bring me to tears. I do miss him so much.

My daughter said we should have not named him "Sunny" - He should have been named "Stormy". She often referred to him as "Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All, Supreme Ruler of the Universe, and Mummy's Boy"

I've attached a picture of him. This was taken a week before I had to say goodbye. He looked so cute and well that morning. I had appointments and errands to run, but I skipped them all and spent the entire morning with my boy.

Time heals all wounds - and my family and I remember him fondly - but we all miss him. I'm sure we will never forget that boy.
Attached Images

Old November 21st, 2014, 10:02 PM

Sunny Boy was a beautiful cat, even at 15 he still had that mischievous look in his eye, he must have given you a lot of laughs over the years, and a lot of good memories Did they ever say why he only had three legs? He was a lucky boy to have been picked, being already grown, and with a handicap, most people want little kittens. You gave him a long and happy life, try remembering that when your feeling bad.
Old November 21st, 2014, 11:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindapalm View Post
Sunny Boy was a beautiful cat, even at 15 he still had that mischievous look in his eye, he must have given you a lot of laughs over the years, and a lot of good memories Did they ever say why he only had three legs? He was a lucky boy to have been picked, being already grown, and with a handicap, most people want little kittens. You gave him a long and happy life, try remembering that when your feeling bad.
I agree with this 100 %! He was a beautiful boy and this brought tears to my eyes b/c I had to put my beloved dog down . Sunny Boy
Old November 22nd, 2014, 12:16 AM
Feline Lunch Lady

Thanks

Thanks Lindapalm and Barkingdog for your kind words.

Lindapalm - we once had Sunny X-rayed years ago, and our vet talked to me about his amputation. It clearly was an amputation - and kind of weirdly done ("not the way I would have performed it" said the vet). But we would never know how or why it happened. Sunny was quite a character, so he may have gotten into some sort of mischief that led him to an unfortunate accident.

Barkingdog - I'm sorry to hear about your dog. It is hard to say goodbye to pets. They are a big part of your family and you really do feel the loss.
Old November 22nd, 2014, 08:13 AM
Senior Contributor

He's lovely. I hope you miss him forever and ever, that way the memories of him never die. After a while the memories will bring more smiles than tears. RIP Sunny, you were a lucky boy to find that family. And they were even more lucky to find you.
Old November 22nd, 2014, 01:23 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

What a handsome little angel to watch over you, SunnysMum. And what a lucky kitty he was to have found such a loving, caring family to live with.

Sunny

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."