Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old November 25th, 2014, 02:37 PM

Dog aggression

Hello,
I have a five year old jack russel x Chihuahua and he is aggressive primarily with other dogs. Up until he was 1 I would take him to the dog park and he would be completely fine which I do not understand. I stopped taking him after we moved and I am now afraid to take him back because I do not want him to hurt anyone's dog. I am in desperate need of a trainer because I have no idea what to do. I do not want him to be taken away from me. He has recently become aggressive with people who enter the home that he has never met that are scared of him. Please recommend a dog behaviourist in the Toronto, Canada area. We tried petsmart 2 years ago and it was a complete waste of time.
Thanks
Old November 25th, 2014, 07:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Have you asked your vet if they know of any good dog behaviorist ? He may be getting protected of you now that is older.
Old November 26th, 2014, 08:26 AM
Senior Contributor

The only help I can offer is this link:

http://www.cappdt.ca/trainers.jsp

If you search out one of the 29 trainers belonging to this organization there may be one who specializes in behavioural problems and especially aggression. One who live near me (not near Toronto) is listed as working particularly with aggression.

A new member joined a few days ago who is a member of this group. No where near you but might have more ideas if she sees this.

Good luck. We have this problem with my nephew's new girlfriend's dog and she is to the point she is afraid to take the dog places. He's ok with other dogs, I hear, but lunges at people as if to bite, never has, but has done damage anyway. And there's an 18 month old baby in the family; the dog cannot be trusted. Apparently he will deliberately run at the baby and knock him over. The dog is a bad, bad thing just waiting to happen, she has to do something and the "needle" has been mentionned by other family members.

Good luck.
Old November 26th, 2014, 02:21 PM

Thank you for your responses. I will ask the vet about a behaviourist. I am recently married and in a few years would like to have children so this is a major issue because I wouldn't trust him around babies.
Old November 26th, 2014, 09:59 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

What have you tried so far..dog parks are a horrible place to take a dog most of the time depending on where you go. I have found that a lot of folks find it a place to let their dogs go and not be watched and observed. A lot of times leading to dog fights. Simple things like a dog trying to hump another dog can cause a huge huge fight.

What aggressive behaviour have you encountered with your dog. Is is just barking, lunging etc...
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old November 27th, 2014, 03:09 PM

John Wade does training sessions in Whitby several times a year so perhaps he also does sessions in Toronto. If not he could probably refer you. I've heard great things about this guy although never used him myself.

Dog Training with John Wade - London Ontario
467 Berkshire Dr, London, ON N6J 3S3
(519) 457-9559

Tags
behaviourist, trainer