Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 1st, 2006, 02:27 PM

How old should puppy be before her first bone?

With the way she is chewing things and the fact she is always buffing out traces of food from the cat's dish I think my 10 week old would like a soup bone or something. The bigger the better. When can I do this?
Old January 1st, 2006, 03:37 PM
Senior Contributor

st.bone

Congrats on your new pup. Since she is teething and in some discomfort with her new teeth I would get her a large marrow bone (soup bone) from the butchers, one that will not fit into her mouth or become lodged. Scrape out most of the marrow as too much will sometimes give dogs diarrhea and let her enjoy. This is a good opportunity to teach her some manners by her letting you take the bone from her, praising her for allowing you to do this, and giving it back. Repeat this many times and she'll be submissive to you when you need to remove something from her mouth that she shouldn't have. My adult dogs each get a marrow bone every week to keep their teeth free of tartar and give them some amusement. Good luck with your new puppy.
Old January 1st, 2006, 03:45 PM

in the past I have always given my dogs bones however, with my current puppy I had asked the vet re bones, she stated that she doesn't recommend bones for any dogs as they tend to chew so vigorously they ruin the roots of their teeth. I was never told this before but my vet reads a lot of current research articles and is very good so I took her word on this but other vets may suggest different thing. the C.E.T. chews at the vet clinics are really good to chew on too.
Old January 1st, 2006, 06:54 PM

I in my opinion I would not recommend any type of soup, chicken, beef. etc bones no matter what the size. Sharp pieces can break off and cause havoc to the digestive system. The risk may be low but on that I would not want to chance. I only recently gave our 11 month old rawhide bones. They seem to be pretty good and we are always around when she is chewing them. Nyla-bones from the pet store are good too but have to make sure they don't chew off and ingest to big a pieces.
Old January 1st, 2006, 07:09 PM
Senior Contributor

My dogs have always been given raw bones.Either marrow bones or knuckle bones since they were pups..I haven't had any problems what so ever with them.Cooking the bones makes them very brittle,where the raw isn't.

One thing I would never give my dog is a rawhide.Never have and never will.

Since she is teething,you can pick up a Kong for her.You can put some treats in it and let her go to town on it....

Also,you can pic up a Pedigree DentaBone..They come in different sizes....My dog loves them....They break apart once they get moist from the chewing......Tron isn't a chewer but he enjoys them as a treat.
Old January 1st, 2006, 07:20 PM

I'm still a little leary about rawhides, but she only gets them occasionally and for no longer than about 30 minutes at a time. I had noticed no sharp pieces breaking off the big ones I buy as she chews them down until their soft. Had a dog when I was a kid that had rawhides all the time with no problems.

Problem with raw bones is that they carry bacteria such as samonilla. My vet does not recommend raw or cooked bones or even rawhide.
Old January 1st, 2006, 08:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ05
Problem with raw bones is that they carry bacteria such as samonilla.
Never had that problem in any of my dogs.And my first GSD was with me for 13 years and my current one is 9......

Some vets don't believe in giving raw bones...But unfortunately they really don't know that much about nutrition in dogs.

I know many vets,including mine who will say that feeding raw bones,even a raw(BARF) diet is better.

BUT all vets think differently....
Old January 2nd, 2006, 08:48 AM

Its amazing what some dogs can and will eat generally and not seem to bother them. I had a dog that ate rocks and luckily never got sick. She eventually grew out of that stage.
Old January 2nd, 2006, 09:04 AM
-

The only real bones that I would give are the sterilized ones, but that's me. If you are going to give rawhide to chew, they are not to eat it. Rawhide does not break down and can get lodged in their system. Do you have any idea how many dogs have to have surgery to have rawhide removed. Something I do give are the hoofs. As with everything I watch to make sure that it is not being swallowed. The kong and the varieties of nylabones are a good choice but when you are picking sizes always choose one that they can't put their mouth around, bigger is always better.